Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I went to this chat with the developers, they said that it is fully unlocked like the Droid (OG), but to keep in mind that this was a pre-production unit. They said that the final one shouldn't be much different, however.

They also said that the tethering worked, was 4G, and 3G works too!!

Also they said the release date is the 17th, the 24th is the XOOM.

This has got to be my next phone.

Cool. Pretty much confirmed what I was saying. Good to hear the 17th is still on the table for BB. My local BB where I pre-ordered said "no" to the 14th and didn't think they would get them in until sometime between 2/20 and 2/28 (he was very reluctant to give me a specific date), but maybe they will show up sometime this week (fingers crossed). It's getting harder and harder to wait until 2/24 with all the leaks, pics, videos, and news lately, but I've already waited 4 months.

Reaction score
cant wait for the TB..it's like my droid knows I'm looking at a new phone and is acting up on me...just randomly slow and laggy, which it never is normally..haven't had a single problem in 15 months, but I cant wait for the TB and for the devs on here, and especially XDA, to get crackin on a release unit.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cant wait for the TB..it's like my droid knows I'm looking at a new phone and is acting up on me...just randomly slow and laggy, which it never is normally..haven't had a single problem in 15 months, but I cant wait for the TB and for the devs on here, and especially XDA, to get crackin on a release unit.

Lol.. mine too.. so I wiped clean and installed Pete's stock gingerbread and HTC keyboard to hold me over..

Reaction score

Mine did too... It died today :(

lockman

Reaction score
This was in the News thread:
It was a preproduction device with an S-OFF bootloader, I just had koush cook up a recovery real quick..... I will assume the p production devices will be a bit harder.

Hope the same or similar exploit can be used. I plan on getting this shortly.

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
I would love to see if the MIUI team would look at moving over to the TB. I had to drop it on my Droid1 because of so many problems, but it has such great potential I figure it'll eventually be one of the best ROMs out there.

So would I, I am really happy with MIUI. Can't wait to see on TB.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
I have a rooted OG Droid now. I don't even know if I'll root my next phone...BUT if I do, I'd get something that has the option to fully root. So I'd definitely get the Thunderbolt since Moto is lame and locks their devices down...

Donsell

Reaction score
I have the Original Droid running Liquid's Gingerbread. It runs so well I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade so I haven't been paying attention. I really don't like being forced to run a user interface. I prefer naked Android.

Assuming the production Thunderbolt is easily rooted, how soon would we see naked Gingerbread roms for it?

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the TB, but am kind of skeptical about rooting it. What's the chance of a phone getting bricked wen you root it? Because if my TB gets bricked I'll have to go back to my LG Chocolate Touch and yeah... no thanks.

champaned_out

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the TB, but am kind of skeptical about rooting it. What's the chance of a phone getting bricked wen you root it? Because if my TB gets bricked I'll have to go back to my LG Chocolate Touch and yeah... no thanks.

it should be idiot proof like the droid 1... its very hard to brick a D1 as long as you take precautions and always always backup your files.. and it never hurts to make more than one backup and save it on your hard drive on your comp just incase

i trust the future devs will make a detailed tutorial of how to root the thunderbolt... i believe as long as you follow directions and take things slow... it should be pretty simple and straight forward

aRsTwiX

Reaction score

it should be idiot proof like the droid 1... its very hard to brick a D1 as long as you take precautions and always always backup your files.. and it never hurts to make more than one backup and save it on your hard drive on your comp just incase

i trust the future devs will make a detailed tutorial of how to root the thunderbolt... i believe as long as you follow directions and take things slow... it should be pretty simple and straight forward

Well, the devs said it's a simple one button press, but if you do follow the directions exactly is there still any risk of bricking it?

cnmsales

Reaction score
ARS, if its anything like the OG then you would have to be pretty retarded to brick it.

RVC

Reaction score
Will Z4 root work with thunderbolt? That was so easy, even I could do it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App