Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

jessel0001

Reaction score
so I followed the instructions that justin case posted on android police, all went well except now I dont have 3g. I have rebooted several times and all I can get is 1x. does any one have any advice?

This may not be your issue, but seriously if you have the back cover off i noticed that i didn't have 3g. When i had it on i did. But like i said that may not be your issue at all. I don't know if the contacts on the back of the cover help add to the antenna or not or even why that made a difference.
I talked to someone who said that the cover is in fact part of the antenna so you would need to make sure it is on and secure.

Thank you for the help that was in fact the case. Who would have thought...

sincerity

Reaction score
Just rooted mine manually. Piece of cake.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

yea after getting adb to recognize phone (htc drivers worked), it was a breeze...even after 5 beers dancedroid thanks for the instructions...

simple ?...whats the key sequence to manually reboot into cwr?

electric6

Reaction score
:blackdroid: ive got a total noob question. Being my first android phone ever:)iphone:), I absolutely love this meat slab of a phone. But being the nerd I am, just using it the way it came is already old. I want more!! lol
I want to root, but first I have a couple of questions:

1. What does one gain by rooting their device over retaining the OEM os, software, ROM ect,?

2. Is there a way to backup your phone after root? Could I still use HTC Sense, and verizon backup assistant?

3. Would an OTA kill my root, or brick my phone?

4. How difficult is it to root using the "one click" method, and how difficult is it to return to OEM?

5. Is there a way to return the phone to 'out-of-box' state, so the insurance people wouldn't freak out if i needed a replacement?

6. This is the doozie. Is there a way to run these devices on pure android 2.3? If so, how hard would it be?:icon_eek:

Thanks guys. :)

sincerity

Reaction score
:blackdroid: ive got a total noob question. Being my first android phone ever:)iphone:), I absolutely love this meat slab of a phone. But being the nerd I am, just using it the way it came is already old. I want more!! lol

1. What does one gain by rooting their device over retaining the OEM os, software, ROM ect,?

2. Is there a way to backup your phone after root? Could I still use HTC Sense, and verizon backup assistant?

4. How difficult is it to root using the "one click" method, and how difficult is it to return to OEM?

5. Is there a way to return the phone to 'out-of-box' state, so the insurance people wouldn't freak out if i needed a replacement?

6. This is the doozie. Is there a way to run these devices on pure android 2.3? If so, how hard would it be?:icon_eek:

1. everything...ability to customize/maximize the hardware on your phone and remove unwanted stock features you don't need.

2. titanium backup/google? i've never used either of those you mentioned so I can't comment on what exactly they do...

3. no

4. no idea on one click, but if you can get adb setup it's not that hard to root

5. yes, just simply flash the stock rom as you would any other once rooted

6. yes, coming eventually...these things take time.

dancedroiddancedroid

electric6

Reaction score

1. everything...ability to customize/maximize the hardware on your phone and remove unwanted stock features you don't need.

2. titanium backup/google? i've never used either of those you mentioned so I can't comment on what exactly they do...

3. no

4. no idea on one click, but if you can get adb setup it's not that hard to root

5. yes, just simply flash the stock rom as you would any other once rooted

6. yes, coming eventually...these things take time.

dancedroiddancedroid

awesome!! thanks man. Well it looks like i have a project to do this weekend.

androidgeek

Reaction score
Silly question, not sure if its been asked but this thread is 18 pages. Will root prevent ota? I don't wanna flash a rom yet just root. I want the OTA update first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Silly question, not sure if its been asked but this thread is 18 pages. Will root prevent ota? I don't wanna flash a rom yet just root. I want the OTA update first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
If you remove the bloat or other apks, you will not be able to get the OTA. Many of the ROMs right now are using a version higher than release(.6 is stock). So you might as well get a ROM and enjoy the phone instead of worrying about the OTA.

sir2545

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if I have everything set up to root......I have the latest sdk installed, adb is in the tools dir, I downloaded htc sync to install tb drivers and cancelled after they installed. in command prompt list of adb devices shows my phone is attached, i have usb debugging enabled and its mount as a disk drive. Any other things I should know about before taking on this task?

Is there any reason why is shouldnt root now.....I thought I read somewhere that people were holding off because there were some bugs in the root method. Has everything been ironed out, I cant keep up with it all?

LTLFTCer

Reaction score
If I use mybackup pro to back up settings in stock, will I be able to restore everything like I have it once rooted (again)?