Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
I'm about to start rooting but when in command prompt do I enter the commands at c:\ or c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools?

ke0kie

Reaction score
I'm about to start rooting but when in command prompt do I enter the commands at c:\ or c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools?

go to the folder where adb.exe is located (ie ...\platform-tools), and run adb from there.

I put all my root files in that same directory, because when you push the files come from that directory.

jessel0001

Reaction score
lost 3g after root

so I followed the instructions that justin case posted on android police, all went well except now I dont have 3g. I have rebooted several times and all I can get is 1x. does any one have any advice?

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
For those new TB users who are unfamiliar with rooting, check this out, someone was nice enough to make a video of the process (although it is a little fast and can be a little hard to follow):

Video: Rooting the HTC Thunderbolt - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I don't know about you guys, but I'm still waiting for an easier way. I can wait a little while to get rid of the bloatware, and there is not a ton you can do with root yet besides the basics since the TB is still so new, but I'm sure there will be much more from developers shortly. I can be patient, but I hope those that have gone through the process themselves so far are enjoying it!

UNC

Reaction score
I have a problem with ADB and the TB, with the D1 it worked perfect, but when I try to connect the TB it doesn't show as a device being connect.

I give the ADB command: "ADB devices" and it says "list of devices attached" and shows nothing!!!

It would always show the D1? The drivers took on the first install.... any ideas?

pistol_pete

Reaction score
I have a problem with ADB and the TB, with the D1 it worked perfect, but when I try to connect the TB it doesn't show as a device being connect.

I give the ADB command: "ADB devices" and it says "list of devices attached" and shows nothing!!!

It would always show the D1? The drivers took on the first install.... any ideas?

Did you open the notification panel and choose htc sync? I heard that was solving some people's issues.

*edit- just plugged mine in and it started right up without choosing sync, so I'm not sure what's going on. Had to allow su on the device in order to get # in the cmd prompt though, fyi.

Morlince

Reaction score
so I followed the instructions that justin case posted on android police, all went well except now I dont have 3g. I have rebooted several times and all I can get is 1x. does any one have any advice?

This may not be your issue, but seriously if you have the back cover off i noticed that i didn't have 3g. When i had it on i did. But like i said that may not be your issue at all. I don't know if the contacts on the back of the cover help add to the antenna or not or even why that made a difference.

UNC

Reaction score

Resolved. My CPUs USB hub was *messing* up. Root successful.
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This may not be your issue, but seriously if you have the back cover off i noticed that i didn't have 3g. When i had it on i did. But like i said that may not be your issue at all. I don't know if the contacts on the back of the cover help add to the antenna or not or even why that made a difference.
I talked to someone who said that the cover is in fact part of the antenna so you would need to make sure it is on and secure.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Easy root method:
HTC Thunderbolt Easyroot + S-off Released - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

*DISCLAIMER: Team AndIRC is not affiliated with this program and by using it you agree that neither AndIRc, dbzfanatic nor Droid Life is responsible for any damages caused by this program.

Instructions? Complete noob when it comes to HTC :icon_eek:

Check some of the links in my first post of this thread. There is a list of instructions in one of them and a video walking through it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Will do! Thanks! The video on that page sucks!!

Easy root method:
HTC Thunderbolt Easyroot + S-off Released - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

*DISCLAIMER: Team AndIRC is not affiliated with this program and by using it you agree that neither AndIRc, dbzfanatic nor Droid Life is responsible for any damages caused by this program.

Instructions? Complete noob when it comes to HTC :icon_eek:

Check some of the links in my first post of this thread. There is a list of instructions in one of them and a video walking through it.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

mthorn79

Reaction score
Just rooted with these instructions & went buttery smooth!

Accidentally deleted my SenseClock.apk, oops, anyone have one they could spare?
:stupid: