Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

Reaction score
Step 6

"Now, reboot your phone and put the custom RUU (PG05IMG.zip) on your SD card. Then flash it. This will upgrade you to release firmware with an S-OFF bootloader."

How do you flash the custom RUU on your SD card? Not new to rooting, but I always flashed with clockworkmod, so not sure how to do it...

Edit: got it...just reverted to instructions above (step 4 I think)...I'm IN!!!

bisco3214

Reaction score
I just finished. It was pretty painless, and I've never done anything in adb before. The only thing I wish I knew going in was the command
adb kill-server
After the reboots adb wouldn't recognize my device until I did this.

ke0kie

Reaction score
Has anyone who has rooted removed all the bloat? Just wondering how much space you got back.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Rooted and deleted bloat with root explorer. However my internal memory is only showing 2.47 GB free.. wtf?

Do you favor ROOT EXPLORER over ASTRO?

I'm looking for the best way to remove the mandatory shareware / bloatware as soon as I root (tomorrow I hope).

Thanks for the input!

--Scott

ke0kie

Reaction score
all of those commands are ADB commands..... so what i would recommend doing is reading up on how to install ADB on your computer, and then how to use it.

but once you know how to use it, you literally just type in all those commands exactly how its laid out and hit enter after each one.

i doubt a fast method will be out soon, as in this week, or even in the next two weeks, but i bet someone will be kind enough to do a youtube walkthrough fairly shortly. that way you can see step by step what is happening, and what the screens should look like. i just finished the process on mine, and i havent used adb since rooting my droid X. if u need help, jst pm me. ill help where i can.

Anything Thunderbolt specific protocol for getting ADB talking to this device?

--Scott

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who has rooted removed all the bloat? Just wondering how much space you got back.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Rooted and deleted bloat with root explorer. However my internal memory is only showing 2.47 GB free.. wtf?

I'm looking for the best way to remove the mandatory shareware / bloatware as soon as I root (tomorrow I hope).

Thanks for the input!

--Scott

I say root explorer all the way. Also the internal memory will not report as different or more available right now. There is a software push being made from HTC to fix that. So once bloated is gone its hard to say exactly how much is freed up right now.

ke0kie

Reaction score

Thanks for the input!

--Scott

I say root explorer all the way. Also the internal memory will not report as different or more available right now. There is a software push being made from HTC to fix that. So once bloated is gone its hard to say exactly how much is freed up right now.

Thank you for the feedback, I'll give ROOT EXPLORER a test drive.

That is interesting what you are saying about the space reporting. Dumb cosmetic issue. I hope if there is a HTC software push, that doesn't tamper with rooting the device.

I think manually installing such an update via non-push from HTC would be better, wouldn't you think?

--Scott

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input!

--Scott

Thank you for the feedback, I'll give ROOT EXPLORER a test drive.

That is interesting what you are saying about the space reporting. Dumb cosmetic issue. I hope if there is a HTC software push, that doesn't tamper with rooting the device.

I think manually installing such an update via non-push from HTC would be better, wouldn't you think?

--Scott

Most times accepting an OTA does un-root, if it even lets you accept it. The great news is 99% odf the time the devs will have a update that you just flash in recovery before the OTA would even hit your phone. If not before then right after. A phone like the TB has great support and they will be on top of getting the updates out quickly. They can get them out first cause once they go live they grab it root it and post it. The only time I ever took an OTA for my D1 was when I returned it to stock to claim on warranty. Other then that I always just get what the devs put out. Also the great thing about root is the updates that the devs put out are always the same or better then what you will get OTA. So no worries once rooted. You will be able to stay up to date easily.

ke0kie

Reaction score
...I think manually installing such an update via non-push from HTC would be better, wouldn't you think?

--Scott

Most times accepting an OTA does un-root, if it even lets you accept it. The great news is 99% odf the time the devs will have a update that you just flash in recovery before the OTA would even hit your phone. If not before then right after. A phone like the TB has great support and they will be on top of getting the updates out quickly. They can get them out first cause once they go live they grab it root it and post it. The only time I ever took an OTA for my D1 was when I returned it to stock to claim on warranty. Other then that I always just get what the devs put out. Also the great thing about root is the updates that the devs put out are always the same or better then what you will get OTA. So no worries once rooted. You will be able to stay up to date easily.

Right on, if I can find the time tomorrow I'm going to root the TB, thx so much for the input. From what I've researched, I think I'm ready; the only piece I'm missing is a back-out plan method, for return to stock. Do you know if such a thing has been established?

--Scott

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think only way right now to go back to stock is to use the latest RUU follow steps in the root process to get it flashed through bootloader then don't do the final steps to keep root. That way u would be running.g stock. If u want a fail safe return to stock I would hold off just a bit until officially posted way back is out, but that won't be long. Haven't checked today so might be one already.

ke0kie

Reaction score
Roger that, there seems to be quite a bit of intensity to develop this device ASAP. I have a feeling it will be a great phone for me, just want to ! the bloat, optimize the ROM, help my battery if I can, and fortify with free wifi tether. I want to run samba too, I think that is a root app (using on my D1).

Seems like a really nice phone overall, it'll be my first HTC device, so you know what they say about first impressions.

--Scott

ke0kie

Reaction score
OK. That was dumb. I renamed the file .zip but it was already compressed, so it was pg05img.zip.zip and it didn't find it. Working fine now. :) yay!

It seems like there are some nested steps inside these instructions, can you clarify from your rooting?

"
Here you will rename the downgrade RUU as PG05IMG.zip and place it on your SD card. Then, run the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Choose the bootloader option and press power; let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes. Don’t freak, it’s a long reboot.
Once done, reboot and delete PG05IMG.zip from your SD card."

--Scott

Parafly9

Reaction score
Scott,

Yeah the file you download at the top that starts with RUU or whatever, you move it to teh root of your SD card in that step and rename it pg05img.zip

You also download a pg05img.zip already named that way; but that is for use later on in the process (Step 7 or 8)

ke0kie

Reaction score
Scott,

Yeah the file you download at the top that starts with RUU or whatever, you move it to teh root of your SD card in that step and rename it pg05img.zip

You also download a pg05img.zip already named that way; but that is for use later on in the process (Step 7 or 8)

That makes sense, I re-read all of it and that was the obvious thing happening there. Thanks for confirming!

TB is downstairs with my doorman, now if I can just skirt these meetings I have scheduled today...

--Scott