Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Hacks' started by guitarchris123, Feb 12, 2011.

1. xashaffer

xashaffer New Member

Ok I have never rooted before and even after looking through those instructions, I still have no idea what to do. Please forgive me for being a noob here but I really need some more help trying to figure this out. Is there anyone here that has already done it and would be willing to help me one on one? Or is there going to be some kind of easy method that may come out sometime soon?
  2. bluetiger20

bluetiger20 New Member

all of those commands are ADB commands..... so what i would recommend doing is reading up on how to install ADB on your computer, and then how to use it.

but once you know how to use it, you literally just type in all those commands exactly how its laid out and hit enter after each one.

i doubt a fast method will be out soon, as in this week, or even in the next two weeks, but i bet someone will be kind enough to do a youtube walkthrough fairly shortly. that way you can see step by step what is happening, and what the screens should look like. i just finished the process on mine, and i havent used adb since rooting my droid X. if u need help, jst pm me. ill help where i can.
  3. johnsonsteven86

johnsonsteven86 New Member

there will be an easy root in the next couple weeks. if you want to root using adb there are several tutorials on google and youtube once installed its as simple as copying and pasting the commands
  4. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm going to wait for an easier way. I am sure it will work, but if something could go wrong, it will happen to me.
  5. xashaffer

xashaffer New Member

Lol I know what you mean Vulcan. But I will do a little more research on how to use ADB and eventually get it figured out. And thank you bluetiger20 for your offer of help. In the middle of something now but I probably will be PMing you a little while later or tomorrow lol. Thank you very much again :)
  6. rmcomer

rmcomer New Member

The ADB part was easy (copy/paste command lines from the tutorial) the longest part was waiting for the rom downgrade to finish, then more ADB and finally upgrading back to the stock rom.
  7. Demolition Man

Demolition Man New Member

I'll wait for the one click solution to emerge. No hurry for me.
  8. Doostur

Doostur New Member

Rooted :) Woot!
  9. Gatorguy18

Gatorguy18 New Member

How long does the total process take start to finish?
  10. Doostur

Doostur New Member

Depends on your experience and if you have everything downloaded that you need.

I was super careful so it took me an hour. I'm sure it can be done in 30 minutes.
  11. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

where did you here about an OTA from HTC being released this week?
  12. mjforte

mjforte Member

I just got finished rooting. It wasn't too bad. That's 3 devices I've rooted manually instead of 1 click methods. Droid, XOOM, and now Thunderbolt. Now to get rid of this bloatware!
  13. scottsdca

scottsdca New Member

Will rooting this phone help with the battery issues I have heard with this phone? I am elligible for an early upgrade but holding off til I hear about the battery. Also contemplating the Motorola bionic. I have a OG Droid 1 now and don't mind holding onto it for the time being. The HDMI out on the bionic sounds pretty good. Any thoughts? Scottsdca@gmail.com

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  14. Doostur

Doostur New Member

TeamAndIRC... they said within the day or two and not to get it. If you get it then the root will not work until they update it.
  15. TheTyler0013

TheTyler0013 New Member

I can't get my TB for a month or 2, any chances I could be blocked from root? I am really excited about rooting this great phone, and ridding it of bloatware

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  16. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie

I am with you Vulcan. I just confirmed with VZW that my local store was wrong and that the hotspot is totally free until May 15th so I have time before it becomes necessary for me to root. Eventhough I am itching to root it to get my theme I really want an easier way, so I am going to wait just a bit to see what comes out.
  17. burntorangefan

burntorangefan New Member

Must be nice! I haven't been able to install ADB drivers for TB, so I can't get ADB to run to root the damn thing...Any suggestions?
  18. Gatorguy18

Gatorguy18 New Member

I've never rooted before, but I'm playing with the idea. I downloaded Android SDK to get the ADB stuff, but my PC wouldn't see the phone right away since I needed USB drivers (which is what I'm assuming you need). The thing I did was download setup_3.0.5511.exe which is HTC Sync software (can be had from Thunderbolt support page on htc.com although I found a faster mirror). At the beginning of the installation of that file, it installs USB drivers. Then I canceled the rest of the install since I didn't want sync on my PC at this time and WAH-LAAA, I can connect my Tbolt to ADB. Hope this helps.
  19. johnsonsteven86

johnsonsteven86 New Member

have you tried using internet connection mode as connection type and installing the drivers from the phone
  20. burntorangefan

burntorangefan New Member

My issue is getting the ADB drivers to install. I've downloaded them from the SDK and they show up in the folder where I saved everything...But when I run Device Manager, it says the drivers for ADB aren't installed...so I double click ADB and try to redo the installation and even when I give it the proper location myself, it always says the installation failed. Not sure why...and now that I've checked again this morning, ADB doesn't even show up in Device Manager for some reason...Pissing me off!
Search tags for this page
adb driver htc thunderbolt
adb driver htc thunderbt
adb for htc thunderbolt
how to root htc mecha
htc thunderbolt adb drivers
htc thunderbolt master hacks
htc thunderbolt z4root
root htc thunderbolt

z4 root htc thunderbolt

z4root download for htc thunderbolt

z4root for htc thunderbolt