replacement screen(glass)

axe

Reaction score
Well, I dropped my phone on landscape pebbles and it shattered bad. Touchscreen still works, I just need the replacement glass. Anybody have any leads on where to get this? Everything I have seen/researched so far leads to a dead end.

I declined the insurance as usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate getting phone calls, texts, etc. because I have to look at my shattered phone. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,
dancedroidYou can try to repair your phone by yourself if you are interested, because it costs much more if you return the phone to those repair shops. Here is a site that shows many take apart videos about the latest models of htc, samsung, motorola and apple. They can give you many hints about how to disassemble and install a phone.
You can also get comprehensive replacement parts such as the htc replacement parts and the motorola replacement parts from the site. Have a try. Good luck to you!

minimum order of two Motorola DROID digitizers from that website. It's one of the toughest cell phone repairs out there, but I know of at least one DIYer that did it successfully.

I did it myself but I honestly would not recommend it, a lot can go wrong in the process and since its the last thing you take off, and then have to put EVERYTHING back together to see if it works, it can be extremely time consuming and frustrating when its all together and doesnt function, I didnt count how many times I took it apart and reassembled.

On top of that I paid $60-65 for my digitizer (prices seem to be coming down) and someone else here mentioned that you can get it repaired for $75 with a 2 week turnaround, for me this would have been the better way to go, only $10 more you just have to suffer through 2 weeks with no cell phone.

Also in the take apart videos, some things are inaccurate and the Droid phone has changed slightly, there are stickers binding your Verizon Droid together and they are tough to get unstuck. Also the very last step, all those ribbon cables are glued on to the body in such a way that I could not remove them without fear of actually destroying the phone, so I had to struggle to connect the digitizerers Ribbon to the appropriate connection, this is the toughest part of the job and as I said, you dont even know if it is connected, till you put it all back together again. In that process you can bend the pins on a lot of your ribbon's by pulling them apart and reattaching.

Just compare the price of the Digitizer to the full price of sending it in for repairs and the cost for repair is SMALL compared to the risk you are going to be taking by Doing this repair yourself.

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
Alright, I saw some tutorials and read some guides. Honestly, if you are familiar with small electronic devices, it's not all "that" bad. You can't skip the detail and be careful with all of the ribbon cables. I have taken apart a Wii. Honestly, to say that the thing only has 3 exterior panels and a bajillion screws, an odd configuration of the componenets, this will be a cake walk.

Reaction score
Alright, I saw some tutorials and read some guides. Honestly, if you are familiar with small electronic devices, it's not all "that" bad. You can't skip the detail and be careful with all of the ribbon cables. I have taken apart a Wii. Honestly, to say that the thing only has 3 exterior panels and a bajillion screws, an odd configuration of the componenets, this will be a cake walk.
Did you actually do it?

JJH_RL

Reaction score
Not the cheapest

This is not the easiest or cheapest repair. I've documented a teardown. It's doable for sure but with the cost of parts a DIY job could be risky.

bmking24

Reaction score
Good info! If you get the service center up and running let us know. I'm in the Baltimore area and have an OG that I can't upgrade for 1+ years so I may have to visit you should I break it! Thanks and good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Good info! If you get the service center up and running let us know. I'm in the Baltimore area and have an OG that I can't upgrade for 1+ years so I may have to visit you should I break it! Thanks and good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
I assume you're talking to me. Everything is up and running, the part is now available, but don't break it cos the repair is still very expensive! Thanks.

fry-lock

Reaction score
to johall07

I am not a troll, it is my first post because this IS a problem, I could identify with.

Did Motorola/Verizon ever stop to think that the phone may drop? Is the glass built to withstand every drop? What if the speaker module goes bad? I now have to buy a new phone?

Please, the push for insurance on a consumer product leads me to believe that this forum is filled with Verizon/Motorola staff.

I am asking to fix a simple problem, and I am being told by Verizon the phone needs to be replaced. And I am a troll?

Oh great high ones, I have now learned my lessons... when buying substandard Motorola products, I need insurance, because if and when the phone shall break, it can never be repaired.

Post number 2 and my first internet rant in 15 years. :mad:

Simple math shows the insurance is worth it. It's just too easy to ruin a phone.

$6/month x 24 months + $50 deductible = $194. The price of a new (subsidized) phone. And generally if they are out of stock of your phone, you get a free upgrade.

You break your phone, and your out $200+ easy for another new phone.

matt2783

Reaction score
to johall07

I am not a troll, it is my first post because this IS a problem, I could identify with.

Did Motorola/Verizon ever stop to think that the phone may drop? Is the glass built to withstand every drop? What if the speaker module goes bad? I now have to buy a new phone?

Please, the push for insurance on a consumer product leads me to believe that this forum is filled with Verizon/Motorola staff.

I am asking to fix a simple problem, and I am being told by Verizon the phone needs to be replaced. And I am a troll?

Oh great high ones, I have now learned my lessons... when buying substandard Motorola products, I need insurance, because if and when the phone shall break, it can never be repaired.

Post number 2 and my first internet rant in 15 years. :mad:

Simple math shows the insurance is worth it. It's just too easy to ruin a phone.

$6/month x 24 months + $50 deductible = $194. The price of a new (subsidized) phone. And generally if they are out of stock of your phone, you get a free upgrade.

Your math proves nothing. You have to account for how likely you are to break your phone. The insurance is not worth it because you are much more likely to never use the insurance and waste $200.

Last edited:

rkeller62

Reaction score

Your assuming that you will use the insurance for every phone you buy. In my case:
(15 years * 12 Months * $5) + $89 = $989

Is what I would have paid out if I just now break my current phone as I have never been in a position to claim insurance. Doesn't look like it pays to me if you take good care of your phone. These number are even worse now with the new monthly cost of insurance ( I used the cost/month from several years ago above ).

Reaction score
We have a bunch of amateur actuaries in this thread. I'm no exception. There's a future in insurance for some of us, a future in insurance sales for others. :p

Wow

Reaction score
Widebody, I feel your pain, you would think if the phone is still operational, you would be able to depend on Verizon to fix it and charge you a repair fee for the cracked glass instead of having to use your insurance to replace the entire unit, you would think there would be a cheaper way to go about getting this repair with in mind this would be cheaper then using your insurance. So it is Verizons fault for not being considerate enough to replace a screen that has a high provability to be cracked.