replacement screen(glass)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by miamidroid, Feb 2, 2010.

1. miamidroid

miamidroid New Member

Anyone know where to pickup replacement screens for the fone? One of my droids has a cracked screen and I would like to replace this.
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

someone in this forum bought one off ebay.
  3. miamidroid

miamidroid New Member

I tried looking on ebay but nothing
  4. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

5. OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker New Member

I've found a few places that purport to sell the Droid front glass/touchscreen and the LCD. They are out of stock and expect more by the end of February.

This coincides with the Chinese New Year. Cell phone repair parts have been really hard to get a hold of for a few weeks now because of this. Apparently the whole country shuts down for like twelve days around CNY.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Couldn't you buy the glass directly from the company that makes it somehow? The company that makes Gorilla Glass? I'd say they have a website or something...
  7. OfficeLinebacker

Generally speaking one buys the parts from a cell phone supplier in the USA. The next middleman up is a parts broker in China proper. At that point one is dealing in minimum order quantities of 10+
  8. WideBody

WideBody New Member

me too

I can't believe it is not possible to fix the cracked glass.

I love my Droid, it is not a phone it is a tool. I have recommended it to everyone. I was ready to leave Verizon if they did not come out with a good phone... the Droid saved Verizon for me.

However, the phone dropped from a table in the computer room to the floor, it cracked the glass.. over time it is now shattered but works completely.

I called Verizon and there is NO OPTIONS to fix it.

So now I get to go around and tell everone what a great phone it is, but get the insurance, because there is NO possible way to fix it if anything goes wrong!

Amazing, I will now go around telling everyone how crappy Verizon is.

I am not looking for a free replacement. However, I do not want to pay $149 to fix a $199 phone. I am looking for a $2 piece of gorilla glass.

I wonder what would happen to GM if they made a car, but did not have any replacement parts???

Sadly, I never got the Verizon follow up call.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  9. johall07

johall07 New Member

cause you broke your phone and didnt get insurance???
  10. souljerr

souljerr New Member

This is actually good advice. Potential cracked or broken screens are the reasons I bought insurance. Not really Verizon's fault if this happens is it?
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+1... that post (well many point in it) is just ignorant...

Well GM does NOT make the glass for their vehicles NOR do they stock it... if you windshield or windows get broken you (or your bodyshop) contact a GLASS SUPPLIER for replacement... try breaking the monitor on your laptop of you desktop display and see if you get the manufacturer to send you just the replacement part(s)...

Stop blaming others for your own fault(s), in this case not having insurance.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  12. OfficeLinebacker

I agree that it's amazing the the parts are so hard to find. But I think this is a Motorola thing, not a Verizon thing. Motorola parts are notoriously hard to find.
  13. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

"Amazing, I will now go around telling everyone how crappy Verizon is."

Amazing. Another 1st post, no clue troll chiming in.

"I'm going to scream how bad they are because I didnt take insurance and broke the phone and they won't help me".

Grow up. Get the insurance if you can and get another.

Or leave the Droid for something else.

Ol is also correct, I used to be in sofla, and a lot of Chinese cell warehouse places in Miami would have parts would be closed for 10-15 days, drive one mad. :)
  14. WideBody

WideBody New Member

cracked screens are a problem!

to johall07

I am not a troll, it is my first post because this IS a problem, I could identify with.

Did Motorola/Verizon ever stop to think that the phone may drop? Is the glass built to withstand every drop? What if the speaker module goes bad? I now have to buy a new phone?

Please, the push for insurance on a consumer product leads me to believe that this forum is filled with Verizon/Motorola staff.

I am asking to fix a simple problem, and I am being told by Verizon the phone needs to be replaced. And I am a troll?

Oh great high ones, I have now learned my lessons... when buying substandard Motorola products, I need insurance, because if and when the phone shall break, it can never be repaired.

Post number 2 and my first internet rant in 15 years. :mad:
  15. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

This has nothing to do with Motorola (though I will agree they are substandard, but for other reasons)... NO CARRIER, not VZW, not AT&T, not T-Mobile is in the business to sell parts for their phones... NONE of them will sell you major parts like screens for ANY PHONE!!!! And yes, I've had all those carries and have had smart-phones on each and I've had to replace SEVERAL screens (when it's cheap to replace than pay the deductible)... that's the name of the game with these types of phones. If you don't like it get a cheap/standard phone.

Get a clue (or insurance), then come back for post #3....:icon_ devil:
    Again, if the window on your car breaks do you go to the dealer, or do you call a glass replacement company?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

17. jdrowe

jdrowe New Member

" I wonder what would happen to GM if they made a car, but did not have any replacement parts???"

And yet you have car insurance right?
  18. WideBody

WideBody New Member

to all,

Yes I have car insurance, and home insurance... I don't submit a claim if I get a flat tire. I don't submit a claim if a window in my house breaks.

Did you by insurance on your GPS? did you buy insurance on your digital camera? Did you get the insurance on the HDTV?

If so, I bet Best Buy loves you guys...

Now, I did a bad thing... I dropped my cell phone... gasp! I now have a fully functional Droid with a cracked screen, which I fully expect to fix or replace, for considerably less than the insurance deductible.

If anyone knows of where parts are being sold please let me know, otherwise, thanks for the sage advice. I will try not to troll in the future.

BEST ADVICE: If you buy a Droid, get insurance. Because if the Droid every breaks, Verizon considers it a disposable product, and your on your own.
  19. shiccy

shiccy New Member

It'd really stink to have that happen, however I have to agree. It's not Verizon's fault that you didn't make sure it didn't fall off the table ... It's not a manufacturing problem, nor a flaw it's (sorry this sounds harsh) negligence on your part.

You compared it to GM ... sorry to say but if you cracked your windshield on a stone road, or you got in an accident this would be about the same as what happened to your phone. Most car companies won't fix your windshield... it is unfortunate, but your fault for the rock (or whoevers fault tossed the rock at you). Similarly if you got in an accident or hit a tree, insurance would take care of that. This is why you have it. If you are unfortunate enough to have a phone that is broken b/c you dropped it, and you didn't have insurance, then sorry but you're SOL ...

Finally, your phone isn't $199 or other similarly quoted monetary units. Your phone is, as listed on Verizon's site, "Full Retail Price $559.99" ... $150 for replacement parts such as this (and quite honestly they will probably just give you a new phone) should be looked at as a steal. Unless you can find it elsewhere, it's no different than ANY other provider, at least in the US.

I'm sorry this happened to you, however s*** happens, and that's why they have insurance policies (ps- if you had insurance, you'd still have to spend $50 to replace the phone anyways, so you're not saving a whole lot if you don't damage your phone in your 2 year contract period.)
  20. jdrowe

jdrowe New Member

First of all I hope I did not intend to sound like a jerk (if I did, and if so I apologize) I was being somewhat facetious because in one thread it's being expected for Verizon to cover the glass breakage and upset that they don't when you don't buy the insurance and then being compared to GM who also goes not cover your windshield being broken without buying auto insurance.

Unfortunately when compared to cars and other household items mobile devices are still really in their infancy and way too fractured for any one place to be able to service and repair them.

It depends. Once the price point crosses a certain threshold and the insurance is under a certain threshold I do. And In the few cases where I have had to use it (and I have!) it has paid for itself and every other insurance plan I have bought. Case in point on TV's about 10 years ago I bought a 36" tube TV from Best Buy. 2 months before the 5 year insurance plan was to expire the TV's colors went wonky. They could not repair it. BB no longer carried said TV so gave me a store credit for my original purchase price. Do you know how much in price TVs come down in 5 years? Yea, I got myself sweet LCD for a replacement.

When it comes to computers, desktops I generally don't. Laptops I generally do. Mobile phones I ALWAYS do. I have had to use the insurance with every single phone I've ever had because I'm a forgetful clutz. I have a tendency to walk into pools, oceans, etc with my phone still in my pocket. ;) (hopefully I'll be more careful with my Droid! but I still have 2 small children who spill things and drop things!)
Search tags for this page

android glass replacement

droid dna glass replacement

droid replacement glass

glass cover for motorola droid ce0168
how to replace a cracked screen on a verizon motorola ce0168
how to replace glass on motorola droid
how to replace huwai 0168 glass
htc dna glass replacement
motorola droid broken glass
motorola screen repair

replacement glass for android phone