replacement screen(glass)

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

jdrowe

Reaction score
" I wonder what would happen to GM if they made a car, but did not have any replacement parts???"

And yet you have car insurance right?

WideBody

Reaction score
to all,

Yes I have car insurance, and home insurance... I don't submit a claim if I get a flat tire. I don't submit a claim if a window in my house breaks.

Did you by insurance on your GPS? did you buy insurance on your digital camera? Did you get the insurance on the HDTV?

If so, I bet Best Buy loves you guys...

Now, I did a bad thing... I dropped my cell phone... gasp! I now have a fully functional Droid with a cracked screen, which I fully expect to fix or replace, for considerably less than the insurance deductible.

If anyone knows of where parts are being sold please let me know, otherwise, thanks for the sage advice. I will try not to troll in the future.

BEST ADVICE: If you buy a Droid, get insurance. Because if the Droid every breaks, Verizon considers it a disposable product, and your on your own.

shiccy

Reaction score
Amazing, I will now go around telling everyone how crappy Verizon is.

I am not looking for a free replacement. However, I do not want to pay $149 to fix a $199 phone. I am looking for a $2 piece of gorilla glass.

It'd really stink to have that happen, however I have to agree. It's not Verizon's fault that you didn't make sure it didn't fall off the table ... It's not a manufacturing problem, nor a flaw it's (sorry this sounds harsh) negligence on your part.

You compared it to GM ... sorry to say but if you cracked your windshield on a stone road, or you got in an accident this would be about the same as what happened to your phone. Most car companies won't fix your windshield... it is unfortunate, but your fault for the rock (or whoevers fault tossed the rock at you). Similarly if you got in an accident or hit a tree, insurance would take care of that. This is why you have it. If you are unfortunate enough to have a phone that is broken b/c you dropped it, and you didn't have insurance, then sorry but you're SOL ...

Finally, your phone isn't $199 or other similarly quoted monetary units. Your phone is, as listed on Verizon's site, "Full Retail Price $559.99" ... $150 for replacement parts such as this (and quite honestly they will probably just give you a new phone) should be looked at as a steal. Unless you can find it elsewhere, it's no different than ANY other provider, at least in the US.

I'm sorry this happened to you, however s*** happens, and that's why they have insurance policies (ps- if you had insurance, you'd still have to spend $50 to replace the phone anyways, so you're not saving a whole lot if you don't damage your phone in your 2 year contract period.)

jdrowe

Reaction score
First of all I hope I did not intend to sound like a jerk (if I did, and if so I apologize) I was being somewhat facetious because in one thread it's being expected for Verizon to cover the glass breakage and upset that they don't when you don't buy the insurance and then being compared to GM who also goes not cover your windshield being broken without buying auto insurance.

Unfortunately when compared to cars and other household items mobile devices are still really in their infancy and way too fractured for any one place to be able to service and repair them.

to all,

Did you by insurance on your GPS? did you buy insurance on your digital camera? Did you get the insurance on the HDTV?

If so, I bet Best Buy loves you guys...

It depends. Once the price point crosses a certain threshold and the insurance is under a certain threshold I do. And In the few cases where I have had to use it (and I have!) it has paid for itself and every other insurance plan I have bought. Case in point on TV's about 10 years ago I bought a 36" tube TV from Best Buy. 2 months before the 5 year insurance plan was to expire the TV's colors went wonky. They could not repair it. BB no longer carried said TV so gave me a store credit for my original purchase price. Do you know how much in price TVs come down in 5 years? Yea, I got myself sweet LCD for a replacement.

When it comes to computers, desktops I generally don't. Laptops I generally do. Mobile phones I ALWAYS do. I have had to use the insurance with every single phone I've ever had because I'm a forgetful clutz. I have a tendency to walk into pools, oceans, etc with my phone still in my pocket. ;) (hopefully I'll be more careful with my Droid! but I still have 2 small children who spill things and drop things!)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Give it up guys. Time to move on ...

A definitive Troll.

and we cannot win an arguement with it because of how its brain works:

Troll%27s%20Brain%20and%20memory.gif

Reaction score
Unfortunately when compared to cars and other household items mobile devices are still really in their infancy and way too fractured for any one place to be able to service and repair them.

I disagree. Many cell phone repair shops have sprung up across the country and every major metropolitan area has at least one. Now if we could only get Corning or Motorola to make parts available in the aftermarket.....

tacdusty

Reaction score
I can't believe it is not possible to fix the cracked glass.

I love my Droid, it is not a phone it is a tool. I have recommended it to everyone. I was ready to leave Verizon if they did not come out with a good phone... the Droid saved Verizon for me.

However, the phone dropped from a table in the computer room to the floor, it cracked the glass.. over time it is now shattered but works completely.

I called Verizon and there is NO OPTIONS to fix it.

So now I get to go around and tell everone what a great phone it is, but get the insurance, because there is NO possible way to fix it if anything goes wrong!

Amazing, I will now go around telling everyone how crappy Verizon is.

I am not looking for a free replacement. However, I do not want to pay $149 to fix a $199 phone. I am looking for a $2 piece of gorilla glass.

I wonder what would happen to GM if they made a car, but did not have any replacement parts???

Sadly, I never got the Verizon follow up call.
So, Verizon will replace the screen for a 149 dollar fee though? I really don't care at this point... I can't stand to see my screen cracked and its bugging me...

Reaction score
Hey I'm glad you bumped this thread tacdusty. I spoke with a cell phone engineer at Motorola yesterday morning about this issue. He said
1) DROID production is at capacity in China so all the screens being manufactured are going into new DROIDS, none left over for the aftermarket
2) several other models in the pipeline are using the exact same part for their touch screens, thus increasing the scarcity
3) Motorola apparently has a warranty on the glass and will repair it for you free of charge within a certain time of purchase, maybe up to one year, maybe less.

Check this site for more info and to find a service center near you: Service Locator - Motorola USA

It's almost certainly a mail-away deal. I'm in the process of becoming a Motorola service center because there are none in the Baltimore-Washington area.

tacdusty

Reaction score
Hey I'm glad you bumped this thread tacdusty. I spoke with a cell phone engineer at Motorola yesterday morning about this issue. He said
1) DROID production is at capacity in China so all the screens being manufactured are going into new DROIDS, none left over for the aftermarket
2) several other models in the pipeline are using the exact same part for their touch screens, thus increasing the scarcity
3) Motorola apparently has a warranty on the glass and will repair it for you free of charge within a certain time of purchase, maybe up to one year, maybe less.

Check this site for more info and to find a service center near you: Service Locator - Motorola USA

It's almost certainly a mail-away deal. I'm in the process of becoming a Motorola service center because there are none in the Baltimore-Washington area.
Sweet! thank you.

So what should I do? Go into my local Verizon(official) dealer and see what they can do?

I'm also one of those ones who didnt get insurance.

wsidesoups

Reaction score
Motorola Fixes

i am going to chime in here about Motorola. this is my first post so feel free to give me the f-u, good now that it is over here it is.

I broke my front glass. i have no idea how it was in my pocket when i pulled it out to answer the glass was cracked whatever. i call motorola to tell them i need to ship it to them to be fixed,at my cost because it was obviously "abuse", after all the arrangements are made the phone is shipped, two days later the phone is at my door with a note in the box that read this is out of warranty due to "abuse" but we can fix it for $75 (which is what the tech guy told me hence the reason i sent it to them). A NOTE! not a call or email or anything they had the phone! then another long conversation with "customer service" another trip to fed ex to send it back... see a pattern yet? got it back in the mail today after all that they sent another note (see above) and red arrow stickers pointing at the cracks. another call ect. basically customer service has no idea why they cant fix it. what kind of company is this? i like the android platform as much as the next guy but to put up with this is maddening.

Reaction score
i am going to chime in here about Motorola. this is my first post so feel free to give me the f-u, good now that it is over here it is.

I broke my front glass. i have no idea how it was in my pocket when i pulled it out to answer the glass was cracked whatever. i call motorola to tell them i need to ship it to them to be fixed,at my cost because it was obviously "abuse", after all the arrangements are made the phone is shipped, two days later the phone is at my door with a note in the box that read this is out of warranty due to "abuse" but we can fix it for $75 (which is what the tech guy told me hence the reason i sent it to them). A NOTE! not a call or email or anything they had the phone! then another long conversation with "customer service" another trip to fed ex to send it back... see a pattern yet? got it back in the mail today after all that they sent another note (see above) and red arrow stickers pointing at the cracks. another call ect. basically customer service has no idea why they cant fix it. what kind of company is this? i like the android platform as much as the next guy but to put up with this is maddening.

Wow what a sucky story. Have you checked the link I posted and tried to contact one of those service centers directly?

Oh just so you know, I don't mean the story is bad, I mean the treatment you're getting from Motorola sucks.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My worst nightmare happened today!! post #11

Give the above thread a look through. If the phone is toast then taking it apart and trying to fix it yourself can't be all bad. The company in the video says they are getting parts too. The video has been around for a while so maybe they have parts already or at least can steer folks in the right direction as I'm sure they get lots of calls from folks.

Good luck and let us know if you get further down the path so others can follow you if it works out.

Last edited:

wsidesoups

Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the help i am looking through all the threads suggested to find some place to order it. as you said if its already broken how much more damage can be done. i will post how it all turns out.