replacement screen(glass)

WideBody

Reaction score
Please let us know

OfficeLinbacker,

Thanks for your efforts... I have been away traveling.... despite the crack, the Droid still works great. (I would caution, if there is a crack, to put a screen protector over it, to prevent moisture from getting in.)

Here is an excellent video I found on taking apart the Droid
[video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com[/video]

If you find replacement glass, please let us know, I am sure your first order will sell out quickly.

Regards

Reaction score
great video, thanks. Interesting they produced that video, but search for DROID on their website and no hits.

Speaking of no hits, no hits on getting the part. I may have some downtime today to go wait on hold with the Motorola service department and see if I can find out anything more.

wsidesoups

Reaction score
its back

well what do you think i found in my mailbox this evening? the droid is back its fixed and it was free because of the jerking around they gave me. well i guess "customer service" came through after all.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well what do you think i found in my mailbox this evening? the droid is back its fixed and it was free because of the jerking around they gave me. well i guess "customer service" came through after all.

Good for you! I just love a happy ending... :)

Reaction score
Officelinebacker,

Have you had any luck finding parts?

TIA!

Nope. Motorola are being real hardasses about it and have basically shut me down. If parts become available on the open market like they are for 95% of all cell phones out there, I'll be all over it. But for now, it's Motorola's way or the highway.

WideBody

Reaction score
giving up on Motorola

Thank you Linebacker...

While I am a huge fan of Android, I am losing all faith in Motorola.

I think the next step is to hound Verizon and get the upgrade to the HTC Incredible....

Sadly the Droid was my first functional smart phone, I will have had it for less than 6 months...

I do plan to get the insurance for the Incredible.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Well I think that Motorola's build quality is excellent. Conventional wisdom says most cell phones are designed to last 12-18 months. Based on repairing LOTS of phones, I can see where that could be true for Blackberries and iPhones. But for Motorola, their build quality is solid and I'm not worried about keeping my Moto Q9 in service for over two years. That said, I won't own a phone I can't repair myself. I'm leaning towards waiting until the Google Nexus One comes out for Verizon. That's also an HTC phone--HTC makes some cool phones.

TBV

Reaction score
Amazing, I will now go around telling everyone how crappy Verizon is.

cause you broke your phone and didnt get insurance???

I guess I am missing the logic in that one...

You are offered insurance on a device that retails @ $600 (with tax), you decide to decline the insurance, and the seller is then considered 'crappy' when you break the device and have to pay a hefty dollar to get it repaired?

Fascinating... :confused:

Reaction score
I think with cell phone repair shops springing up everywhere, it's understandable to hope, if not expect, to be able to get a $600 phone repaired by a third party. Thus being self-insured makes more sense.

That all said, tying the availability of third party repair to to the actual quality of a product or a wireless provider is a bit of a stretch.

jamjr74

Reaction score

You are offered insurance on a device that retails @ $600 (with tax), you decide to decline the insurance, and the seller is then considered 'crappy' when you break the device and have to pay a hefty dollar to get it repaired?

Just to chime in here about insurance! My droid is only a couple weeks old and with all the posts about broken screens I decided maybe I should add the insurance. The Verizon rep tells me that insurance is $6 per month and that if my phone is lost/damage/stolen/broken I can have it replaced. However this will also cost me an additional $89!!! This seems like a ripoff to me. I am aware that the retail price of a new Droid is $550-$600 but who pays retail? And that is the price right now! If I break my phone 6 months from now I can probably grab one on ebay for $200-$250. I think i'll take my chances!

Reaction score

Just to chime in here about insurance! My droid is only a couple weeks old and with all the posts about broken screens I decided maybe I should add the insurance. The Verizon rep tells me that insurance is $6 per month and that if my phone is lost/damage/stolen/broken I can have it replaced. However this will also cost me an additional $89!!! This seems like a ripoff to me. I am aware that the retail price of a new Droid is $550-$600 but who pays retail? And that is the price right now! If I break my phone 6 months from now I can probably grab one on ebay for $200-$250. I think i'll take my chances!

Wonder what they're going for nowadays.

TBV

Reaction score
Just to chime in here about insurance! My droid is only a couple weeks old and with all the posts about broken screens I decided maybe I should add the insurance. The Verizon rep tells me that insurance is $6 per month and that if my phone is lost/damage/stolen/broken I can have it replaced.

However this will also cost me an additional $89!!! This seems like a ripoff to me. I am aware that the retail price of a new Droid is $550-$600 but who pays retail? And that is the price right now! If I break my phone 6 months from now I can probably grab one on ebay for $200-$250. I think i'll take my chances!

Working @ VZW I have seen people pay full retail on phones...it definitely is not the norm, however it does happen, and in most instances to those who declined insurance and the phone was either lost, stolen or damaged within the 1st six months or so.

As for the cost of the insurance, I too was a bit surprised when the deductible went up to $89 on the smartphones and 3G multimedia devices that have touchscreens, but if you put it into perspective, $89 is a bargain (for a DROID anyway) rather than paying full price in the store or buying something site unseen off of EBAY.

In relation to your point above about 6 months down the line the price on the device being less, for my customers who are on the fence about insuring their devices, I tell them to at least insure it for the 1st year, because as long as they are a single line that is at least $59.99/month or are on a family share, there will be an early upgrade opportunity at 12 months...here's the math: 12 X $6 = $72, + $89 = $161...if you can find a brand new DROID for less than that within 12 months of purchase, you have definitely beat the odds. (shrugs shoulders)

Going back to the full retail cost: I know it is a common argument that the full retail price shown on devices in the stores is bogus, and although there may be a slight markup displayed (which is somewhat questionable being that here in California the state still charges sales tax on the amount), do not doubt for a second that companies like VZW and/or AT&T etc do not take a loss on the devices that must be made up with monthly/quarterly/yearly revenues when they sell them at discounted prices on upgrades and/or new lines of service.

I deal with customers on a daily basis, and what I find amusing is that everyone wants this or that service (data in particular) for free or damn near free, and simply ignores or ignorantly fails to take into account that a wireless company must continually maintain and upgrade their network, advertise, keep stores open and operational, and pay employees...

That cost money folks, and you have to pay to play. :)