replacement screen(glass)

rkeller62

Reaction score
I have never purchased insurance on my cell phones. Let's go with $5/month which is the old premium. That's $60 a year. I have never broken or lost a phone and I have carried a cell phone consistently for 15 years. Sounds like I have saved at least $900 in premiums so I would still be ahead even if I paid full retail to replace my Droid (If I broke or lost it that is). At the going rate on ebay/craigslist I could break/lose it 3 times and still be ahead in the long run.

rkeller62

Reaction score
OfficeLinebacker - did you get OEM Gorilla Glass or a knock off product? If knock off do you have any idea if it is anywhere near as durable as the Gorilla Glass??

Banyon

Reaction score
At this point, I don't care if it is the knock off, as long as it fits, and its decently priced.

climbingkevin

Reaction score
Shattered Glass

Well, I dropped my phone on landscape pebbles and it shattered bad. Touchscreen still works, I just need the replacement glass. Anybody have any leads on where to get this? Everything I have seen/researched so far leads to a dead end.

I declined the insurance as usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate getting phone calls, texts, etc. because I have to look at my shattered phone. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Argh... okay you guys with you're shattered glass have scared me into putting my invisible shield back on, I was so loving the smooth glass feel, I guess I can live with the rubbery feel if I have a little more protection for my screen..

btw.. I may have an extra piece of Droid glass available for the right price, but I don't want to solicit in the forums so pm me if you are interested and know what they are going for.. I'll check the prices online and see what I will take for it..

spryte112

Reaction score
Argh... okay you guys with you're shattered glass have scared me into putting my invisible shield back on, I was so loving the smooth glass feel, I guess I can live with the rubbery feel if I have a little more protection for my screen..

btw.. I may have an extra piece of Droid glass available for the right price, but I don't want to solicit in the forums so pm me if you are interested and know what they are going for.. I'll check the prices online and see what I will take for it..

what do you want for it??

NightWolf0829

Reaction score
I agree that it's amazing the the parts are so hard to find. But I think this is a Motorola thing, not a Verizon thing. Motorola parts are notoriously hard to find.

Don't tell that to all of the Medic's and Firefighters who typically use Moto radios and towers. Just because ONE device isn't like the iCant and has thousands of **** parts floating around(from china, which come in multiple pieces when are from Apple in one set..), doesn't mean its Moto's fault.

For a few bucks a month, why not? Who buys a smartphone packed with small parts bound to break on beating, and NOT get an insurance plan?

Thread is full of fail.:icon_evil:

Still love my droid
dancedroid

noorigin

Reaction score
For a few bucks a month, why not? Who buys a smartphone packed with small parts bound to break on beating, and NOT get an insurance plan?

i dont get why everyone thinks the insurance is such a bargain. i mean you pay out ~$60 a year plus the $80(or is it 60?) deductible when you go for replacement.

Motorola direct will repair your phone for $75. only catch is a week or two with no droid while they fix it. NP if u have a old phone laying around to temp. activate.

axe

Reaction score

i dont get why everyone thinks the insurance is such a bargain. i mean you pay out ~$60 a year plus the $80(or is it 60?) deductible when you go for replacement.

Motorola direct will repair your phone for $75. only catch is a week or two with no droid while they fix it. NP if u have a old phone laying around to temp. activate.

When I signed up it was a $90 deductible and I passed. That was without doing any research on parts/repairs. I had to replace the glass this past weekend that is not a fun/easy job for me and I have a decent level of ability for this type of thing.

Wish I knew about the $75 motorola direct, I paid $60 for my new digitizer.

As far as I can tell, these phones are built like tanks (minus the glass) so if you know you are going to save money over the deductible EVERY time (with exception to loss/stolen/water or otherwise not repairable) then you are flat out losing money on the premium. When you pay the $90 deductible you are paying for the repair yourself anyways.

You are paying for convenience when you buy the insurance plan, for some the piece of mind is well worth it, I try to pinch pennies when I can, this ALMOST bit me in the end though. If the screen ever breaks again I will be happy to look at the cracked glass rather than go through that repair, however for the $75 plus 1 week turnaround I would go that route if I absolutely could not tolerate the cracked glass.

Trey

Reaction score
I too am interested in a legit replacement screen. Any new information?

Reaction score
Well, I dropped my phone on landscape pebbles and it shattered bad. Touchscreen still works, I just need the replacement glass. Anybody have any leads on where to get this? Everything I have seen/researched so far leads to a dead end.

I declined the insurance as usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate getting phone calls, texts, etc. because I have to look at my shattered phone. I'd like to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,
dancedroidYou can try to repair your phone by yourself if you are interested, because it costs much more if you return the phone to those repair shops. Here is a site that shows many take apart videos about the latest models of htc, samsung, motorola and apple. They can give you many hints about how to disassemble and install a phone.
You can also get comprehensive replacement parts such as the htc replacement parts and the motorola replacement parts from the site. Have a try. Good luck to you!

minimum order of two Motorola DROID digitizers from that website. It's one of the toughest cell phone repairs out there, but I know of at least one DIYer that did it successfully.