[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich - 6-8-2012

tpence2177

Reaction score
Great rom, installed with no real issues. Have been able to work around most of the problems I have encountered but one. Battery reporting on my droid 3 is incorrect. It will reach 1% within about an hour and a half of heavy use, meaning screen is on the whole time. It will then run for another hour and a half or more at 1%. I have tried several things and none of them have worked. Any info would be appreciated.

Have you tried clearing the battery stats? May take a day or two for it to get back to normal after that.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

gghostboy

Reaction score
Indeed I have. Battery, dalvik, cache, just about everything. Gave it a week of charging and discharging with no change.

gghostboy

Reaction score
Have you tried reflashing by chance?

Well, I was dreading having to but last night I decided to flash SD 4.8 GB because it is supposedly much more stable. I was really digging ICS but the battery issue was driving me crazy, and I couldn't find a way to work around the video camera. So far, battery is reporting perfectly, 90% at 7 hours. mostly phone idle. I'll post a better study of the battery after a couple of days but I don't see myself going back to 5.6 unless there are some major updates.

tpence2177

Reaction score
I completely understand. Im completely back to stock right now. No root no safestrap nothing. I just needed a fully functional phone. Im just gonna wait till the KEXEC builds get their camera working and switch to that. Hash is still working on it. Saw him tweet something yesterday about it being slow but coming along. So there is still hope for jelly bean and ics fully functioning on this phone.

gghostboy

Reaction score
makin' bacon pancakes

Well, here's an update on the battery deal.

First of all, I bought the phone on eBay, price was right and screen was mint. That was my selling point. I just ordered an OEM extended battery for the phone but I won't be able to test it until I get back to the states (in Kuwait right now) in a month and a half or so.

Flashed SD 4.8 last night, cleared battery, delvik, cache, factory reset, fixed permissions... hit just about every menu item in safestrap that I could.

So, first discharge went alright. seemed like the battery was discharging at a reasonable rate and I had the brightness set to auto, which I normally don't do but I wanted to drain the damn thing. It shut off by itself when the battery hit fifteen percent? Didn't catch the percent as the phone just powered off. Recharged it to 100% and then things started to look a little bleak. battery discharging rather quickly, about 1% per minute with the brightness set manually to 25% or less. Wifi on, just surfing the web and using facebook. Hit 1% seventeen minutes ago (edit : after the battery hit 1% it ran for another 40 minutes at full brightness with wifi on), have had the brightness set to max for at least half an hour with a movie playing. I would really love any information or suggestions... I want to enjoy my newish droid three, not hate it.

Thanks mates.

Last edited:

tpence2177

Reaction score
Is the battery swollen in any way? Try taking it out of the phone and laying it on a flat surface and try to spin it on each side. If it appears swollen, or squishy, or spins, or all of the above its a bad battery. If not. I dunno lol I have never had those kind of problems out of this phone. If the battery is still good and a few discharges doesn't clear up the weird reads. You may want to go back to stock. Also do you have it searching for service is it in airplane mode or just wifi? If its searching for service I could see it eating the battery, but not that fast.

gghostboy

Reaction score
Is the battery swollen in any way? Try taking it out of the phone and laying it on a flat surface and try to spin it on each side. If it appears swollen, or squishy, or spins, or all of the above its a bad battery. If not. I dunno lol I have never had those kind of problems out of this phone. If the battery is still good and a few discharges doesn't clear up the weird reads. You may want to go back to stock. Also do you have it searching for service is it in airplane mode or just wifi? If its searching for service I could see it eating the battery, but not that fast.

I'll try taking the battery out today. The phone is always in airplane mode with wifi on, I'm in Kuwait and haven't had the phone connected to my verizon account.

tpence2177

Reaction score
Sounds good. Just wondering but did you have battery problems before you switched to the steel droid roms?

gghostboy

Reaction score
Sounds good. Just wondering but did you have battery problems before you switched to the steel droid roms?

Well, found out what might be a factor in the battery issue. The battery that is currently installed in my D3 is an aftermarket 1500mah replacement. Rookie mistake on my part, not inspecting what i had purchased thoroughly.

I don't know about battery problems before steel droid as when I was waiting for the device to arrive, I was playing with liquid ICS on my D2G and wanted ICS on my D3. I was researching SD and once the device arrived, I immediately flashed. Tonight I am going to revert to stock and see if anything changes but I am willing to bet that it is the aftermarket battery not playing nice. If that's the case, I have an OEM extended waiting for me in the states.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll let you know what I discover.

tpence2177

Reaction score
Very well could be the battery then if it is an after market. Don't get me wrong after markets can be very good, but some can just fail like that. Then some will fail with no warning lol.

GL5365

Reaction score
:) Very beautyfull rom works fine seems to be stable.
Really a great job.

Waiting for the next release

Munckster

Reaction score
Hey, first of all, sorry to revive this old thread, but...

This rom is very interesting, and almost everything seems to be working.

But Data network doesn't seems to work, no matter which patch I apply, or changes on build.prop I made.

I use TIM Brasil as carrier.

Do you guys have any idea on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

ragas

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to get flash player to work on this rom?