[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.0 Gingerbread - 1-11-2013

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
Must say, I've tried a few Steel's in the past on my D3 and D1. Two(minimal) gripes: not digging the 10% batt increments. Is that normal or is something wrong with mine? Also I really wish we could see some theming(ICS style!!).

Still though, easily the smoothest, most stable rom i've tried, and good LAWD the battery life is incredible. I'm a confirmed battery hog who must carry a charger everywhere I go, but not anymore!! Full day of heavy use now everytime!

Good job

Sent from a thing using an app

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Must say, I've tried a few Steel's in the past on my D3 and D1. Two(minimal) gripes: not digging the 10% batt increments. Is that normal or is something wrong with mine? Also I really wish we could see some theming(ICS style!!).

Still though, easily the smoothest, most stable rom i've tried, and good LAWD the battery life is incredible. I'm a confirmed battery hog who must carry a charger everywhere I go, but not anymore!! Full day of heavy use now everytime!

Good job

What do you mean by ICS theming? On the D1, its all ICS themed, although with my own touch. But the D3 didnt have quite so much themed, although I themed a lot more of it since its previous release.

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
What do you mean by ICS theming? On the D1, its all ICS themed, although with my own touch. But the D3 didnt have quite so much themed, although I themed a lot more of it since its previous release.

Yeah the 10.1 on D1 is beautiful, cosmetically and functionally. I actually wish this D3 looked more like it. Not knocking the rom though. Still think it's badass. And again, can't beat this new found battery life!

WarMace

Reaction score
The site hosting the Steel Droid v5.0 ROM is timing out, are their alts?

Last edited:
OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
The site hosting the Steel Droid v5.0 ROM is timing out, are their alts?

Sure, I am uploading to SendSpace now. Just got faster internet today, so this shouldnt take too long. lol

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
There you go. v5.0 for the D3 has a mirror in the OP, just under the original link.

synpse

Reaction score
Great Work!

Just installed, after reluctantly switch away from Liberty. I love that ROM, but it's just.. old.. SD works great!

WarMace

Reaction score
There you go. v5.0 for the D3 has a mirror in the OP, just under the original link.

Thank you very much!

I am trying to do the ultimate clean install per your instructions:
"FLASH 5.6.890 SBF (for a TOTALLY clean install for those with paranoia)"

Is 5.6.890 SBF still recommended to flash first or are those instructions outdated?

I am currently running: OTA 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US, rooted, with safestrap 2.10 installed but currently disabled.

doogald

Reaction score
Thank you very much!

I am trying to do the ultimate clean install per your instructions:
"FLASH 5.6.890 SBF (for a TOTALLY clean install for those with paranoia)"

Is 5.6.890 SBF still recommended to flash first or are those instructions outdated?

I am currently running: OTA 5.7.906.XT862.Verizon.en.US, rooted, with safestrap 2.10 installed but currently disabled.

It's outdated. There is no reason to flash an SBF unless you messed up your stock system somehow. If all of that is running fine, root with Motofail, install safestrap, and flash steeldroid to either a rom slot or the safe system (depending on which version of safestrap you are using.)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hey, chevy, I hate to bother you with this, but do you know why my music players keep stopping after the screen blanks?

Not sure on that one, but will look into it. Thats kinda odd.

I think I fixed it. I did a fresh install in a new ROM-slot and that seemed to solve that issue.

lazarusrevol

Reaction score
General Problems

Hey chevycam94 i have problems with the rom. I tried once to install it but first time Play Store wouldn't download any apk. Then i went to the safestrap menu and tried to clean the cache but somehow i put on running the default rom from latest Safestrap's application. And in the first slot i had installed the rom, there was nothing.. I restarted the phone and it was running on default rom. Restart again and made the install of 5.0 SD again. After that the rom boots up normally but the phone hangs out a lot.
Every single time i get out of an app the system tries to "refresh" and "reload" all the icons on the menus. I have installed the Go Launcher, cause it seems better to my eyes, not sure what does with the memory consuption though. Anyways i've installed Advanced Task Manager Pro and with the Go Task Manager i try to clean up the memory that gets full and then wait to see if the phone gets to a better situation. Best case scenario is approximattely 150MB free ram
(when phone has just rebooted starts with almost 220MB then it falls to 170 usually) and a laggy phone. Worst case scenario is that i have to restart the phone. Also i have huge problem with the battery cause it has almost 24h of standby, but when it comes to typical daily use, meaning some phonecalls, a little 3G surfing and a little gaming ( Easy Battery Saver installed too) the phone can't last for more than 15 hours :/

Any advices would be thankfull, since my phone has turned to a torture. I should mention i was on 4.8 before and had no such problems.

Ps. Any link supporting what is NOT working in
Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich in order to consider if i can use it daily, would be great.

Thanks in advance. I posted this here if someone has/will have such problems...

lazarusrevol

Reaction score
Hey chevycam94 i have problems with the rom. I tried once to install it but first time Play Store wouldn't download any apk. Then i went to the safestrap menu and tried to clean the cache but somehow i put on running the default rom from latest Safestrap's application. And in the first slot i had installed the rom, there was nothing.. I restarted the phone and it was running on default rom. Restart again and made the install of 5.0 SD again. After that the rom boots up normally but the phone hangs out a lot.
Every single time i get out of an app the system tries to "refresh" and "reload" all the icons on the menus. I have installed the Go Launcher, cause it seems better to my eyes, not sure what does with the memory consuption though. Anyways i've installed Advanced Task Manager Pro and with the Go Task Manager i try to clean up the memory that gets full and then wait to see if the phone gets to a better situation. Best case scenario is approximattely 150MB free ram
(when phone has just rebooted starts with almost 220MB then it falls to 170 usually) and a laggy phone. Worst case scenario is that i have to restart the phone. Also i have huge problem with the battery cause it has almost 24h of standby, but when it comes to typical daily use, meaning some phonecalls, a little 3G surfing and a little gaming ( Easy Battery Saver installed too) the phone can't last for more than 15 hours :/

Any advices would be thankfull, since my phone has turned to a torture. I should mention i was on 4.8 before and had no such problems.

Ps. Any link supporting what is NOT working in
Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich in order to consider if i can use it daily, would be great.

Thanks in advance. I posted this here if someone has/will have such problems...

Everyone so busy? :(

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Yea, I actually have been VERY busy. Its hard to keep up with everything these days, and with work picking back up, and college about to start back up, its really going to be something. Im just trying to fit in everything I can, but Im only one person, so this is a little harder than you might think.

lazarusrevol

Reaction score
Yea, I actually have been VERY busy. Its hard to keep up with everything these days, and with work picking back up, and college about to start back up, its really going to be something. Im just trying to fit in everything I can, but Im only one person, so this is a little harder than you might think.

We all droid users really appreciate your work and thank you cause you've made our android experience a lot better. I just posted twice given the fact that you usually answer in a time of 7 days. Maybe cause the problems i get are so annoying and can't enjoy my phone.
Anyways do as you can, and i wish luck to your matters. When you got time, see our problems here too.

OP
chevycam94

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
We all droid users really appreciate your work and thank you cause you've made our android experience a lot better. I just posted twice given the fact that you usually answer in a time of 7 days. Maybe cause the problems i get are so annoying and can't enjoy my phone.
Anyways do as you can, and i wish luck to your matters. When you got time, see our problems here too.

I know. I got your messages and all, but the D3 is a little harder to work on, and Im running short on spare time right now. Im working 3 weeks straight right now (NO days off), from 5am to 7pm usually. I will try to get things fixed as I can. I also have to try to balance what can get fixed before what other things. Its a job all in itself. lol