[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich - 6-8-2012

mkglitzman

Reaction score
That's because this version is probably based from hashcode's ics kernel from last April.
Notice, it's not kexec and it's got a working camera. 4.x hasn't really progressed past that. Lack of devs, lack of data sheets, and with no leaks from Moto, next to impossible.

Still the best ics rom I've seen for d3, but will we ever get a fully working one? I doubt it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
ChevyCam94 - We dont need this bashing in here. I have a life. I have work, college, family, and friends. I dont eat/sleep/poop on this site and with my ROM. Honestly, if you dont like, move on. When people complain like this, its just more reason for me to stop developing for it all together. Tread lightly...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowz619

Reaction score
ChevyCam94 - We dont need this bashing in here. I have a life. I have work, college, family, and friends. I dont eat/sleep/poop on this site and with my ROM. Honestly, if you dont like, move on. When people complain like this, its just more reason for me to stop developing for it all together. Tread lightly...

Calm down bro. Some people have a life outside of this website and creating free roms for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
@ chevycam94; don't know what was written by sikassdrummer, but many of his posts are incoherent nonsense, and should be ignored or delete.
Thank you for the time you put into building these roms.

edit: 5.6 is my daily rom

Last edited:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Calm down bro. Some people have a life outside of this website and creating free roms for everyone.

That was Chevy, btw. Not the other dude. :) Just making sure you know that.

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
your right iam sorry

Yea Iam sorry , I don't know why I was venting on here yesterday , you do great work and all the people I work with really appreciate it
Again I am sorry for being outlandish , I also have been over worked between 2 jobs and my own start up business with the cell phone root ,rom,s and laptop upgrades . I do understand being busy ,I guess I was just stressing about so many people asking me to fix all their bootloops or bricked phones and on top of that the replacement of a code 0410 secondary air surge . So I had to remove an entire air pump ,inake and exhaust manifold and do 3 hours of removing carbon ,I am also finishing my RN degree and working fulltime in home care ,and a mechanic ,
Well again I hope you accept my appolige ,

Shadowz619

Reaction score
That was Chevy, btw. Not the other dude. :) Just making sure you know that.

Chevy edited my original post, I told sikassdrummer to calm down. =) Keep up the good work Chevy.

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
Well I apoligize to Chevy and the fellow members

Chevy edited my original post, I told sikassdrummer to calm down. =) Keep up the good work Chevy.

Thanks , I am sorry and it was just a bad day , I know Chevy does make great roms ,iam still running sd 4800 and love it , just wish it was overclocked cause he is the awsome devloper that doesnt have massive wipe issiues and you can use Bootstrap and are not forced to use safestrap due to possible bootloops , Again To fellow members I do apoligize for havving a bad day and taking it out on here ,we all have them and I am thankful for all the hard work these guys do , So thanks and Happy romming and rooting !!

joefuf

Reaction score
Has there been any fix or has anyone done something to fix the backlight on the keyboard it's sensitivity when the screen is off?

Wyrenth

Reaction score
Heya. I'm considering flashing the ROM on my Droid 3, and by all accounts, it looks like Steel Droid is the best bet for stability and useability. This would be the very first time I've ever done something like this, though, and there's a few things that have me hesitating. Hoping to get some answers before I do anything. :)

First, the bugs list front-facing camera as an issue. Exactly what is the issue with it? I use it for Skype video calls, so I'd prefer to have it functioning if possible.

Second, again according to the bugs list, the keyboard backlight is connected to the display brightness. Does that mean it only works 50% of the time if brightness is set to 50% Or it will only turn on if brightness is maxed or on? It's not a major issue, but one that I was curious about.

Third, if I were to use Safestrap, is the current version (v3.05 dated 10-17-2012) okay to use? This version is dated later than the latest version of the ROM.

Finally, is there a way to underclock the processor back to 1.0 GHz if I find 1.2 GHz isn't stable? I've had a lot of issues with stability with this phone, and I'm not sure if it's heat issues, software issues, or what.

Also, any other issues I should be aware of when using this ROM? Judging by how Safestrap looks like it works (according to a youtube video) I'm guessing I can switch back to the stock ROM if I desire. Is that correct?

Thanks for your time, and for putting this ROM together. :) Sorry if these questions are a bit newbish, as I said, this would be my first ROM flash.

-- Edit: June 8, 2013 --

Well, I went ahead and installed the ROM, discovered the following in answer to my questions:

The camera in general has issues recording video. This, I'm guessing, is due to lack of hardware codecs. It will NOT record video, and Skype did not send video on its call (front and rear facing camera both appeared as though they might be working, but failed to actually send the data).

The current version of Safestrap is OK to use, and in fact, was much easier and had fewer problems overall.

The only problem I had was that the phone kept shutting off in the middle of certain processes, likely due to overheating.

The processor CAN be underclocked if desired.

Overall, I'm liking the ROM, but the lack of camera support may be a deal breaker... As much as I want ICS on this phone, I might have to try the Gingerbread flavor so I can have full camera functionality again.

Last edited:

tyrrellica

Reaction score
Total Newb question, so bear with me...lol
I have my D3 rooted currently with the Liberty ROM since the day I bought it about 2 years ago. I saw the release of ICS for the Droid3, but it has been a while since I flashed anything. My question is if I just update with the zip file like normal, or if I have to do anything else (other than the backup I did) to get ICS on my D3? I want to use Steel Droid and get ICS, is flashing to the SD3_5500 file all I need to do? Thanks a,000,000!

tyrrellica

Reaction score
I stopped being a ***** and just did it like I remembered...wow, this rules. Working awesome so far!
Total Newb question, so bear with me...lol
I have my D3 rooted currently with the Liberty ROM since the day I bought it about 2 years ago. I saw the release of ICS for the Droid3, but it has been a while since I flashed anything. My question is if I just update with the zip file like normal, or if I have to do anything else (other than the backup I did) to get ICS on my D3? I want to use Steel Droid and get ICS, is flashing to the SD3_5500 file all I need to do? Thanks a,000,000!

arjunligga

Reaction score
hey

main concerns:
i m using gsm in India so will it work without any issue.
Camera is working?
Video camera is not?
how to know my current sbf ( i think its 890)