Recovery mode

coasterboy69

Reaction score
Did the man update of 2.2 Trying to do the recovery mode by holding x and turning power on and it will not go into recovery mode. Help?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
When you turn the power on, continue holding 'X', sometimes it takes a little while. Besure that you hold down the 'X' key before you push the power key. Continue to hold them both until the droid starts to boot. You dont need to continue holding the power key once the phone starts to boot. Continue holding the 'X' until you see the recovery load. If it doesnt, then check to make sure that your 'X' is even working; the phone will not operate without a boot loader installed.

OP
coasterboy69

coasterboy69

Reaction score
I have tried. I tested the x through text messaging. Then held the x first then powered up. The motorola symbol just keeps recycling over and over.I can figure it. Any other ideas? I appericate it.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This can happen. Sometimes even if you pull the battery the phone just comes on before you even get a change to hit the X button.

Best bet, Pull the battery, get your finger on the X button and the power buttin, put the battery back in (still holding x and power before you even do it). Can take a minute to get your hands right on that.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Are you running stock?
Is your bootloader stock?
Why are you trying to get into the bootloader?

I need to know the answer to these three questions before we move on :D

By the end of the night, we'll have you up and running.

OP
coasterboy69

coasterboy69

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in reply.

I am stock. Everything is stock as far as I know.
The only thing I have ever really done outside the norm is manually load the 2.1.
I have loaded the 2.2 into my astro file and i need to reset so i can load that in. When I press the X then power on i hold the X and the only thing that happens is the giant M keeps coming up fading away and coming up until I get pissed enough to let go of the X then it comes up normal. I run open home not the normal droid home screens.
I want the 2.2 and now I am reading that they may not even send it out to anyone else or at this point I would just wait it out....

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like you lost your recovery which is weird if you are not rooted.

Try this: SBF to root and to unroot

Do option 1 then option 2. You should then be able to boot into recovery and do whatever you want from there.

OP
coasterboy69

coasterboy69

Reaction score
I am not completely tech stupid((((BUT)))) I am by no means saavy either. I loaded the 2.1 no problem 1st time. What are my chances of bricking by doing this. As you know its a tough economy and I dont have 400 for a new phone. And dont want to lose this one cuz I LOVE IT!!!!

truckrod

Reaction score
This same thing happen to me . It would not go into recovery at all with cwrecovery or sbfrecovery n for all u fokes out there once u boot up holding the power button n the x key once the m logo comes on u can let go of the key it will go into recovery I've done this a thousand times u don't have to hold it that long. Now what I had to do was on cwrecvorey I had to go to a older flash rom n then back to the latest cwrecovery and then reflash the rom then flash a low voltage kernel n not wipe anything after I did that it was back working again I think the cwrecovery didn't load rite the first time so I wint back to a older one and then flashed rom over n then wint a loaded the latest cwrecov n all was good. This worked for me hope it helps you

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am not completely tech stupid((((BUT)))) I am by no means saavy either. I loaded the 2.1 no problem 1st time. What are my chances of bricking by doing this. As you know its a tough economy and I dont have 400 for a new phone. And dont want to lose this one cuz I LOVE IT!!!!

There is a chance, with anything you do to the phone, but if you follow the instructions to the letter you will be fine. I've done it many, many times myself.

OP
coasterboy69

coasterboy69

Reaction score
And all i need is steps 1 and 2? Sorry to be a pain. Just trying to put all my ducks in a row. I appericate all everyone is doing.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have a stock phone that has not been rooted.

You want to apply the manual OTA 2.2 update.

The recovery tool is there, it can't not be.

This is a droid phone, the original, right?

Hold in the X key on the physical keyboard. Don't let go of it. Reboot the phone. Don't let go of the X key. The recovery tool will come up right after the M logo does.

edit...extra question: A confusing point: you say you have loaded 2.2 but I suspect you have said you loaded it onto your card and have not actually installed it. Said installation sometimes refereed to as loading or flashing. On about phone, in settings, it still says 2.1 or does it say 2.2 ?

Last edited:
OP
coasterboy69

coasterboy69

Reaction score
You have a stock phone that has not been rooted.

You want to apply the manual OTA 2.2 update.

The recovery tool is there, it can't not be.

This is a droid phone, the original, right?

Hold in the X key on the physical keyboard. Don't let go of it. Reboot the phone. Don't let go of the X key. The recovery tool will come up right after the M logo does.

edit...extra question: A confusing point: you say you have loaded 2.2 but I suspect you have said you loaded it onto your card and have not actually installed it. Said installation sometimes refereed to as loading or flashing. On about phone, in settings, it still says 2.1 or does it say 2.2 ?

I have 2.2 loaded on the card, not installed. it says ".1 update 1"
It is an original droid. I hold the x forever it just keeps looping on the Motorla M

I in fact loaded 2.2 onto my buddies the other night so I know how to do the install. its the recovery mode that is killing me.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very odd.

I'd choose from one of the 3 options below:

Wait for the official release.

Use RSD Lite to load 2.01 and then use the stock recovery tool to manually upgrade and end up with a stock phone.

Use RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery and then use that to flash the 2.2 OTA rom you want and end up with a non-stock recovery app.