Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I didn't even think twice. Stopping by the store crossed my mind for a split second, then I figured I'd have the same issues you're having. At that point, I figured the worst thing that could happen would be that I'd have to go get a new one, but it all worked out for me.

I'm assuming your old one is still active until you put the new one in a phone & activate it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I didn't even think twice. Stopping by the store crossed my mind for a split second, then I figured I'd have the same issues you're having. At that point, I figured the worst thing that could happen would be that I'd have to go get a new one, but it all worked out for me.

I'm assuming your old one is still active until you put the new one in a phone & activate it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Well I hope it is... reasonably sure that's true. Just ordered from amazon, will be here tomorrow.

How's that go "Patience my ar$se ....I'm gonna kill something"

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Holy Smokes What a pain... They tell ya it's a 10 minute wait, 40 minutes later...
Service Rep: How can I help you today, looking for a new phone ?
Me: I need to buy a nano sim.

Service Rep: What phone will you be using it in ?
Me: This, my new Nexus 6P.

Service Rep: Oh we can't activate those.
Me: Don't want you to, I'll activate it on my old note, then switch it.

Service Rep: Can't sell you a sim without a phone to activate it.
Me: Yes, you can.

Service Rep: I'm sorry sir we have to activate it before we can sell it to you.
Me: May I speak with your manager please.

Rep gives me that "look"

Me: Your manager, please.

Goes in back, wait another few minutes... rep comes back with a sim card. goes through their POS app (both translations apply here)

another 15 minutes later, he and 2 others finally figure out how to record the sale against my account & phone number...

Me: Do you have a micro to nano sim converter tray
Rep: A what ?
Me: Never mind...

Love hate relationship here. I love my unlimited data and looking at there pricing plans, even at 100/mo for me and my daughter it's still a better deal than their Ice Cream Cone plans.

But there Customer Service is pathetic!
Well done sir! We have awesome reps at our corporate Vzw store, but yeah, I've experienced the same idiocy you described as well. Their need to "control" their customers is ridiculous. We had a similar problem when we purchased our S5s. We bought them both outright and told them, "just bring us the phones unopened, we'll activate them ourselves". We intended on putting the sim cards from our S3s in our new S5s ourselves, by the off chance they screwed up our UDPs, even though we purchased them at cost. 25 min later they come out from the back with both devices fully activated with new sim cards. Fargin Bastages! I was pissed. But...our UDPs were still intact so I got over it cause I had my shiny new device in hand.
Enjoy!

S5 tap'n

mach330

Reaction score
Holy Smokes What a pain... They tell ya it's a 10 minute wait, 40 minutes later...
Service Rep: How can I help you today, looking for a new phone ?
Me: I need to buy a nano sim.

Service Rep: What phone will you be using it in ?
Me: This, my new Nexus 6P.

Service Rep: Oh we can't activate those.
Me: Don't want you to, I'll activate it on my old note, then switch it.

Service Rep: Can't sell you a sim without a phone to activate it.
Me: Yes, you can.

Service Rep: I'm sorry sir we have to activate it before we can sell it to you.
Me: May I speak with your manager please.

Rep gives me that "look"

Me: Your manager, please.

Goes in back, wait another few minutes... rep comes back with a sim card. goes through their POS app (both translations apply here)

another 15 minutes later, he and 2 others finally figure out how to record the sale against my account & phone number...

Me: Do you have a micro to nano sim converter tray
Rep: A what ?
Me: Never mind...

Love hate relationship here. I love my unlimited data and looking at there pricing plans, even at 100/mo for me and my daughter it's still a better deal than their Ice Cream Cone plans.

But there Customer Service is pathetic!
Sux for your customer service. What I did was call and asked for a nano SIM card for my current note 4 and s5 for wife. No questions asked and shipped me two nano sim for free. Got my own sim converter activated my nano on both my phones . Then when 5x and 6p came in, it was just a matter of popping it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
If you recall my previous post in this thread, I mentioned that Project Fi would have to be pretty spectacular for me to switch from Verizon... and actually, after some thinking it wasn't really true. Verizon provided me with 1 bar of service (if I was lucky) at work, (1) bar of service at my brothers cabin up north, and no service whatsoever at my house (I need to use a VZW network extender). With that said, Project Fi has actually been pretty spectacular where I need it. I get full bars at work, full bars at my brothers cabin, and wifi calling from home. After a full week with the service, I decided to port my VZW number to Project Fi yesterday, and I am confident that I wont regret it.

There is one pesky problem though. I need to use Hangouts Dialer to make calls from home in order to force wi-fi calling because my phone wants to connect to my neighbors Sprint Airave. Unfortunately, my neighbors Airave actively rejects my phone when I try to make an outgoing call. It's weird, but I can live with it.

Another caveat: I rarely rely on mobile data and could not care less about data speeds for the most part. At my brothers cabin, he (still on verizon with 1 signal bar) got better data speeds than I did on Project Fi with full bars. His cabin is in Mio MI where the Project Fi coverage map only shows 2G service. Based on the coverage map though, I believe I will have better voice coverage when we are on the quads out in the woods.

All-in-all, I'm happy with Project Fi so far, and I'm in love with the Nexus 6P.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
So who has Project Fi?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I dropped VZW & am now using Fi. Saved a ton of money in the process
Any problems? I'm about to get it for the $199 5X deal and try it for a month. Even though I have unlimited data on Verizon, I'm sick of paying for it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This has me wondering what exactly happens. Will my current Google Voice number be used just for voicemail or will it be used as my primary phone number? I'd eventually want to transfer my VZW # to Project Fi, if I keep Fi.
4-4-2016 8-58-04 AM.png

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Any problems? I'm about to get it for the $199 5X deal and try it for a month. Even though I have unlimited data on Verizon, I'm sick of paying for it.

No problems so far. I ported my number from VZW. I let my GV number go so I didn't have that option

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just ordered the 5X with 32GB. I'll try Fi for a couple months,. If I don't like it, I'll drop it and sell the phone.

Guess porting from vzw isn't that hard from reading the reviews.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Wow. I order on a Monday and it's expected to be here Wednesday. I wish my 6P shipped that quick.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wow. I order on a Monday and it's expected to be here Wednesday. I wish my 6P shipped that quick.
Well, to be fair, the 5x has been available for quite some time now and you PRE-ordered the 6P...Looking forward to what you think of the device, since I know fi doesn't have the coverage in my area at this point.