Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I look forward to your speed test results. Are you noticing a difference as far as "call quality"?

S5 tap'n

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I look forward to your speed test results. Are you noticing a difference as far as "call quality"?

S5 tap'n

None at all. I did a test call, I started in the house on WiFi and then walked outside and well down the block. Hand-off was seamless and the call sounded great to me and likewise they said they couldn't tell the difference on their end.

We'll see how well it works in the fringe areas where I ride motorbikes this weekend, that will be the true test for me. Gotta be able to dial 911 if I fall off :eek:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
None at all. I did a test call, I started in the house on WiFi and then walked outside and well down the block. Hand-off was seamless and the call sounded great to me and likewise they said they couldn't tell the difference on their end.

We'll see how well it works in the fringe areas where I ride motorbikes this weekend, that will be the true test for me. Gotta be able to dial 911 if I fall off :eek:
Thanks for the input. I guess I was just wondering in what context you were referring to with this statement.
So far it just works, and better than vzw.
Speed-wise?

S5 tap'n

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for the input. I guess I was just wondering in what context you were referring to with this statement.
Speed-wise?

S5 tap'n
Yes. Speed is better in a number of places, the same in others. the real test will be in my living room later, when VZW gets mobbed.

I found you can force it to cellular by turning off WiFi - so that will be an interesting test for sure.

On another note the hand-off from Cell to WiFi and back to Cell is completely seamless, I've done it twice on phone calls and you can't tell it's happening.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well Folks - I am a Piglet!

I have used 1gb of data on Fi in less than 24hrs.
admittedly 500mb is SpeedTest.

I like the service, while I've only had it in town and not outside of town, it's worked real well.

But with my Daughter being an Apple fan and having unlimited data - I think I'm headed over to the VZW store for a nano sim.

Even if I translate the $50/mo for data to 5gb on Fi. I still have my daughter on VZW and though I could convert her to a capped plan, I think in the long run, I'm better off sucking up VZW data. The eMail from Fi this morning was a shock, since I've never ever worried about data usage.

The day may come when she pay's her own way, but at least until she finishes college, it's all me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well Folks - I am a Piglet!

I have used 1gb of data on Fi in less than 24hrs.
admittedly 500mb is SpeedTest.

I like the service, while I've only had it in town and not outside of town, it's worked real well.

But with my Daughter being an Apple fan and having unlimited data - I think I'm headed over to the VZW store for a nano sim.

Even if I translate the $50/mo for data to 5gb on Fi. I still have my daughter on VZW and though I could convert her to a capped plan, I think in the long run, I'm better off sucking up VZW data. The eMail from Fi this morning was a shock, since I've never ever worried about data usage.

The day may come when she pay's her own way, but at least until she finishes college, it's all me.
I know you said your eyes aren't the greatest, but it's really not that hard to cut your vzw micro sim. I just did mine this morning. I left over corner to the very end & just trimmed a little of each time. Mine fits snug in the trash now, which I also used to double check myself as I went.

Texts go through & I made one test call to a local business & called my voicemail. Crisp & clear in the ear piece & speaker phone.

You may have trouble activating a new sim in a Nexus phone.

Just Google convert micro sim to nano sim. There's an easy to use template. Techno buffalo has it, but I found another step by step article that linked to their template. It was the first result.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks, my SIM is so old might be better to get a new one, get a tray activated it in the old note first.

I'm sitting the Corp store, well see how it goes

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good luck! Looking forward to your results!

This is at least the 3rd phone mine has been in. Maybe the 4th.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Good luck! Looking forward to your results!

This is at least the 3rd phone mine has been in. Maybe the 4th.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Over how many years? Effin 10 minute wait is gonna stretch out as bad as waiting to get the phone!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I might've gotten it with the S4. Came remember. If they'd the case, 3 years or so.

But it also might've come from the galaxy Nexus, which would be longer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks, if this wait takes too much longer I may get it the magnifying glass and exact knife...Sheesh, such great customer service

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good pair of scissors worked well for me. Easier to line up & snip instead of trying to get the knight to score & then cut straight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Holy Smokes What a pain... They tell ya it's a 10 minute wait, 40 minutes later...
Service Rep: How can I help you today, looking for a new phone ?
Me: I need to buy a nano sim.

Service Rep: What phone will you be using it in ?
Me: This, my new Nexus 6P.

Service Rep: Oh we can't activate those.
Me: Don't want you to, I'll activate it on my old note, then switch it.

Service Rep: Can't sell you a sim without a phone to activate it.
Me: Yes, you can.

Service Rep: I'm sorry sir we have to activate it before we can sell it to you.
Me: May I speak with your manager please.

Rep gives me that "look"

Me: Your manager, please.

Goes in back, wait another few minutes... rep comes back with a sim card. goes through their POS app (both translations apply here)

another 15 minutes later, he and 2 others finally figure out how to record the sale against my account & phone number...

Me: Do you have a micro to nano sim converter tray
Rep: A what ?
Me: Never mind...

Love hate relationship here. I love my unlimited data and looking at there pricing plans, even at 100/mo for me and my daughter it's still a better deal than their Ice Cream Cone plans.

But there Customer Service is pathetic!