Google Officially Launches Project Fi Wireless Carrier Service

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 22, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254

It turns out those WSJ rumors reported yesterday were true. Google officially unveiled their Project Fi wireless carrier service today. Here's a quick and dirty summary of the service:

The Project Fi service will cost $20 a month for basic talk and text. On top of that it will cost $10 per gigabyte of data used. The best part is that subscribers will also get credit for the full value of their unused data. Google sums it up like this, "Let's say you go with 3GB for $30 and only use 1.4GB one month. You'll get $16 back, so you only pay for what you use."

*There's one hugely important detail. This new service requires you to use the Google Nexus 6 smartphone. There's no word on if/when that will change, so that is obviously a big limitation at this time.

Here are more of the details quoted directly from Google,
    What do you guys think? Is this something that could put the squeeze on the big two US carriers, Verizon and AT&T, or is it just a start?

Source: Official Google Blog Say hi to Fi A new way to say hello

#1 dgstorm, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Even though we included this link in the OP above, it's worth sharing again. This is the coverage map for Google's new service:
    Project Fi

3. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Doesn't this require a Nexus 6?

4. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +593
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Yes... That's a pretty important thing.

I'll say this.... They have the northeast well covered along with the beaches and boonies that matter to me. So essentially by law I HAVE to test this out. I can't wait to see how this does in the real world. I signed up for an invite pretty early, so I hope I'm in the first wave of rollouts!

• Like Like x 2
  5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    Still too much for data. $30 is not worth 3 gigs. Make it $1 a gig and I'll buy in. My wife and I are on TMobiles 2 lines, unlimited voice/text/LTE for $100 and TMobiles uncarrier part that doesn't count streaming music as part of your data is a MASSIVE data saver. Youtube at any kind of decent quality will chew up data too. Its just so facepalm aggravating that they all advertise their super fast network but limit it with caps. No one cares if they have a 2 gig cap.

6. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Yeah... that is a pretty important point. I didn't realize the Google quote didn't include that so I updated the beginning of the OP with that particular detail.

7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +678
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Man, staring at my Nexus 6 this is tempting. Though not sure it offers enough to pull me away from At&t. For my wife's phone and mine we pay $142 after taxes. That is 15GB of data, with rollover, unlimited calling, and tethering.

This would cost us $40 for the two lines, then at least $20 each line for 2GB of data, putting us at $80 before taxes. So we might save around $40 a month, but we would have to use the lesser network, and be possibly limited on data depending on usage.

Plus we would need to get my wife a Nexus 6 as she is still using a 2013 Moto X. I do hope this might help move the industry into a better situation for us users though, props to Google for at least trying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Yeah that is a deal breaker for me. I'm not trying to go with a bigger phone. I'm consider downsizing. Hopefully Google will open it up to any GSM device that supports the frequencies. I can't see them sticking by the Nexus 6 as the only device being able to be used.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    It will also require the installation of some pretty serious software as well in order to make the WiFi/cellular hybrid work. It's similar to the system that Republic Wireless has been using for a while now, and it requires devices with specialized software to work. This is most likely why they're starting with just the Nexus 6 - they can make sure the software is there and functioning properly. Depending on the permissions needed, it might be more difficult to get the software working on other devices. I'm sure they're working on that though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    How is it any different from my Wifi-calling handoff to cellular towers? I'm not familiar with how Republic works.

11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    Republic Wireless uses a specialized ROM that incorporates the hybrid calling features. I'm not sure of the exact technical details, but I know they've been trying to allow customers to be able to bring their own device, but they haven't been able to do it yet. I believe Project Fi uses a similar sort of setup that incorporates even more custom attributes than Republic Wireless does.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Can I bring my own Nexus 6 or does it have to be theirs?