Picking up a Thunderbolt? State your reasons why...

JFMFT

Reaction score
New here (hi!)... my first post... but a long-time lurker.

Anyway, just wanting to see each person's rationale for picking up the Thunderbolt, especially why they are getting it and not waiting for the Bionic or other phones coming to Verizon in the next 3-4 months.

As for me... I'm going to be picking up the Thunderbolt for a few reasons.

1) HTC is the only manufacturer I trust to make an overall solid, stable Android phone. My Motorola devices have all had horrible problems, and though my Dx's seem to be software related, it can't be fixed by loading a custom ROM since the bootloader is locked down so tightly. Samsung doesn't know how to update their phones, and like Motoblur, Touchwiz is unrefined, ugly, and doesn't offer anything stock Android doesn't (I mean it does - but nothing I use much). LG phones just plain suck... hence why I'm going with HTC.

2) 4.3" screen - unlike the Droid X, the 4'3" screen isn't in widescreen/long format, so it's a bit wider (easier for portrait and landscape typing). Keys are wider/fatter and not as tall, making it easier to type overall.

3) 4G - I'm moving to an area in May that already has 4G, so I'll be able to take advantage of the new LTE network (it is pretty awesome).

4) Video chat - the front facing camera is going to be nice. When my family is at home on Skype, I can talk to them from my phone from afar.

5) Unlocked bootloader/most hackable - I like to make my phone my own, and though Sense 2.0 looks really fast and sweet, and I do see myself keeping it, I do love Cyanogen Mod and am hoping CM7 with Gingerbread comes to the Thunderbolt. If it doesn't, at least I know the unlocked bootloader will allow other quality fully custom ROMs if I wanted to go that route. If not, Sense 2.0 is still MILES beyond Blur (even the new Blur that we saw Demo'd on the Bionic at CES - while it's an improvement, it's not refined the way Sense is).

6) I have a lot of upgrades to burn... and I am not one to worry about devices becoming obsolete. I get so many upgrades on my VZW employee account that I don't mind selling my old phone for more than I originally paid for it and burning an upgrade on another line just to have the latest phone. I'll probably do this for years and years to come.

7) HTCSense.com - the website is useful and provides a lot of utility for HTC users (who have compatible devices). I look forward to using this site. I also love the "skins" on the new HTC Sense 2.0... look forward to using all things Sense.

8) The Bionic just doesn't appeal to me; my Droid X has had so many issues and been replaced so many times for microphone problems, random reboots, and other issues that I just don't trust Motorola at this point. I'm ready to support HTC, a manufacturer who really knows how to make solid Android devices.

So, I'm interested to hear why others are getting the Thunderbolt. Post your thoughts and reasons!

And I posted this mainly because I'm curious if people are getting this over the Bionic for the same reasons as me, etc. I've seen so much "love" for the Bionic around the internet because of its processor, yet people don't seem to state any other reasons why they want that phone. Just curious I guess... since I think it's the whole package that's important, not just the phone's processor.

Last edited:

Haloman800

Reaction score
Most of the reasons you mentioned. I've never dealt with HTC so I'm looking forward to it.

My highlights are:

1. 4.3 inch screen (at least!) Is a must.

2. Front facing camera.

3. Kickstand :D :D :D :D

4G ;D

Many other contributing factors, but these are the main selling points for me :D.

I'm so happy and excited that it's coming out so soon! Thank you Jesus!

jcbsides

Reaction score
I'm mainly getting it because I'm due for an upgrade and it looks SWEET!

This will be my first smart phone and I couldn't be more excited. I got mine pre-ordered and everything. I just want this week to go by quick

moosez3

Reaction score
Im getting it b/c the alternatives arent THAT much better:

Droid Bionic:
- Love the OG, but moto has seem to strayt from the Original Android Money-Maker.
- Locked Bootloader alone is a no go
- Every other spec besides Dual Core and a slight pixel advantage is worse.
- As for DDR vs DDR2 vs DDR3 vs DDR11ty trillion doesnt matter to me until they can prove it is noticable faster, which I dont believe they will be able to. I have 4GB DDR3 in my PC that I built I dont feel like its ANY faster than previous DDR2 machines.
- HDMI out? wont use, maybe DNLA but not HDMI out.

LG whatever:
- LG needs to prove to me they can build a flagship phone first.

Samsung whatever:
- Never liked samsung anyways
- Samsung Updates suck
- Will not buy an AMOLED screen till burn in is resolved:

I went to BB for the pre-order and I decided to check out the Nexus S myself b/c of forums reporting screen burn-in or burn-out, I dont know, but the burns were in my humble opinion nothing short of RIDICULOUS.
- This was a display phone at the most a couple months old.
- It was one of the ONLY Display phones, meaning that people played with it a lot.
- STILL the Notification bar, the app drawer button and a widget was burnt in the screen.
- The phone was on 15 sec screen shut off, max was 30 mins if this is the case how did it get burnt?
Now I am sure its possible worst case it sits there at times maybe hours on end on a given home screen, but burn in on a phone that is less than 2/3 years let alone a few months is ridiculous. What if I am driving listening to music and pandora down to miami, from orlando, or up north for several hours at a time??

As for the TB it is basically an EVO that has been slightly upgraded in every way on LTE. The EVO is a proven phone, and I have had quite a bit of handling experience with it. When I get the TB Ill do a direct comparison Video.
I will check on the little problems it did have I will make sure they are gone in my 14 days of return time.
So when I get it we'll see...

datsyuk

Reaction score
I love HTC and really like the Thunderbolt but I know that HTC will eventually release a dual core phone this spring/summer for Verizon. Something along the lines of the Pyramid. I don't want to buy the TB when dual core is arising and will make the TB feel outdated in just several months. The dual core technology will hopefully be relevent for atleast a year my best guess. (1ghz seemed to be strong up until now and tbh imo still is pretty quick).

2.4 is coming soon and apparently its going to be putting it to use. The reason why you're not seeing 2.3 HTC/other phones my best guess would be because 2.4 is around the corner.

Edit: just read OP that you're a VZW employee with all your upgrades.. lucky lol. What's their policy on that?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

moosez3

Reaction score

Droid Bionic:
- Love the OG, but moto has seem to strayt from the Original Android Money-Maker.
- As for DDR vs DDR2 vs DDR3 vs DDR11ty trillion doesnt matter to me until they can prove it is noticable faster, which I dont believe they will be able to. I have 4GB DDR3 in my PC that I built I dont feel like its ANY faster than previous DDR2 machines.

LG whatever:

Samsung whatever:
- Samsung Updates suck

I went to BB for the pre-order and I decided to check out the Nexus S myself b/c of forums reporting screen burn-in or burn-out, I dont know, but the burns were in my humble opinion nothing short of RIDICULOUS.
- It was one of the ONLY Display phones, meaning that people played with it a lot.
- STILL the Notification bar, the app drawer button and a widget was burnt in the screen.
- The phone was on 15 sec screen shut off, max was 30 mins if this is the case how did it get burnt?
Now I am sure its possible worst case it sits there at times maybe hours on end on a given home screen, but burn in on a phone that is less than 2/3 years let alone a few months is ridiculous. What if I am driving listening to music and pandora down to miami, from orlando, or up north for several hours at a time??

As for the TB it is basically an EVO that has been slightly upgraded in every way on LTE. The EVO is a proven phone, and I have had quite a bit of handling experience with it. When I get the TB Ill do a direct comparison Video.
I will check on the little problems it did have I will make sure they are gone in my 14 days of return time.

Oh yeah EVO's battery sucks :/ hopefully its improved a little, but not a deal breaker.

bills742

Reaction score
1. 4g
2. Looking forward to trying my first htc

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Android1254

Reaction score
I'm getting this phone because:

#1 I've had too many problems with Motorola, they've cheated me time and time again and htc is the most (and I believe this is true) dominant brand of android smarthphone makers out there because they find what you like and optimize it plus they actually update their phones (samsung)

#2 I need a larger screen because I want to swype but on my D1 my fingers are too big

#3 I've always wanted the possibility to skype from my phone, and because its baked into the nice HTC Sense, that has now become a reality

#4 HTC has an unlocked bootloader because they strive to be differnet than other brands it sets them apart in quaility, ROMS galore!

#5 The Specs are Just FOR ME, I mean, 768gb of RAM plus the pre installed 32GB sd card and the dolby sorround sound under the bid kickstand just sold me, not to mention the 8mpx camera (I travel a lot and take lots of pictures)

#6 The design of THAT phone...whew! Its sexy! I mean its got the nice aluminum body of the Nexus 1, the Display of the DX, AND the kickstand from the Evo?! You got me there too

#7 its going to be on the most reliable network there is and because I live in a 4g area I will be able to take that nice 4 seconds per song downlaoding speed to a whole new level

#8 I could go on but bottom line, ITS A PHONE THAT SETS THE BAR FOR OTHER PHONE MANUFACTURERS, we saw this with the D1 and I'm currently still on my D1, imagine THIS device plus updates from google? Anyways, hoped this excited someone:)

Android1254

Reaction score

Droid Bionic:

LG whatever:

Samsung whatever:
- Samsung Updates suck

Oh yeah EVO's battery sucks :/ hopefully its improved a little, but not a deal breaker.

It most definitely will be my friend, black man x stated that on 3g its way better but on 4g everything takes alotta battery

ufish2

Reaction score
My X was outdated in a month... you just can't keep up with the Jone's... l:)... wait for dual core

JFDroid

Reaction score
Edit: just read OP that you're a VZW employee with all your upgrades.. lucky lol. What's their policy on that?

There's a good amount of "rules". Lately it's been getting stricter. Can't sell your old phones or you can be fired (so I give mine away to friends/family lol). Can't get the iPhone (don't want one though - eww crapple!), and a few other things we watch for/rules we must observe.

Umm, that's about it I guess. We're highly encouraged not to root/tether/etc against the TOS though I do all this stuff and I don't worry much about getting caught.

The discount is nice. I get tons of upgrades. I just put away about $50/month extra since my bill is so cheap which helps me pay for all the frequent upgrades. It's a nice system overall. Can't complain at all... 2 year contract pricing 5x/year and I only have to sign a 1 year contract for each line. 50% off everything, too.

Back on topic... I really really want this phone!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wingdo

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth between the Bionic and the TB, but I think the TB is the phone for me.

1) While I have been running custom ROMs on my D1 for ages, I'm not always fond of spending so much time dealing with them. I'd like a phone I may not feel the need to mod, and I gotta tell you, Motoblur will make me want to switch ROMs on day one.

2) Sense 2.0. I started looking at HTC's website and checked out the Sense section. Wow, it looks like they got it right with 2.0. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

3) Everyone is saying it's basically an EVO 4G and old technology. I don't believe that to be true. It's a proven design with a new CPU and GPU. Much faster performance should be expected vs. the EVO, and the move from 65nm to 45nm will help battery life and reduce heat.

4) Lucky Goldstar (now named LG) is still too new in this arena for me.

5) Samsung - whatever Android version it comes with you better darned well like as you're likely to be stuck with it for good. Touchwize isn't particularly appealing either.

Now a couple items kinda bug me about the TB.

1) who thought it would be a good idea to put the usb (aka power) connector on the side that would be down when using it with the kickstand out? Seriously someone should be fired for that.

2) They added 4G which uses more power than 3G, but still reduced the battery capacity from the EVO.

I love my D1, and I will probably keep it as a wifi only device after I upgrade, but it's time for something new and exciting. For me right now that's the TB.

wingdo

Reaction score
My X was outdated in a month... you just can't keep up with the Jone's... l:)... wait for dual core

Can't live by that moto as you'll never upgrade. Quad cores will be out for Christmas.

moosez3

Reaction score

It most definitely will be my friend, black man x stated that on 3g its way better but on 4g everything takes alotta battery

well thats what the return period is for, if its unbearable I dont have to live with it, that being said I wont mind getting a seidio battery, for the long days if the phone is worth it...

Exactly why I am not waiting anymore, I have been waiting for 1 and a half years since my phone was outdated lol if I keep waiting Ill never have a phone.

When Quad core came out for computers dual core seemed technologically ancient, but in reality my MBP 13 with dual core runs just as fast on PS CS5 as my AMD PII 955 BE 3.5/6 Q4. Only b/c I dont really need all that processing power on my computers.
Like my computers I wont get too crazy with my phone needing dual or quad anytime soon, and after that maybe BB buyback.

shaddix

Reaction score
Yeah waiting is pointless, someone will always have a newer phone than you in a couple months..... but then you will have the newer device in a couple more months!!!

I would have no problems going with the LG Revolution myself, I've had nothing but good experiences with LG so far. I wish I could find some news on it though...