Is the HTC Thunderbolt that bad??

Reaction score
Well maybe you should state that you comparing a extended d3 battery to a stock tb battery and I have tons of experience with both phone and I don't know what u call heavy usage but your not getting no 30 hours maybe light usage... Thanks for the spelling correction I hope u feel a little smarter now.. wait u spelled it wrong also lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Wow. I didn't realize you know exactly how much battery life he has.
So you can see his phone?

But on my STOCK D3 I get about 15-20 hours on medium to heavy usage.
On my stock TB, my battery drained sometimes within 5. Especially when there was a low 4G signal. I'd lose like 10% in 20 minutes.
Sometimes when I had it outside, it'd overheat and go on these drainage streaks when it go from 100 to 80 after turning it on a bringing it outside for a few minutes.

If thats how bad all TB's are, I don't see how you can use the phone on a daily basis.

No common sense tells me he can't get 30 hours of heavy use out of a d3 stock battery. maybe light medium with a extended... And why would I listen to anything u say? U come in every tb thread and bash it everytime there is one your in it talking it down.. so why don't u and ur dx..and d3 buddy's go into ur dx and d3 threads because there have been updates that have improved every aspect of this phone battery last longer gps locks in seconds and I've only had 2 reboots or so sence I've owned the phone for months now and got to HEAR all u people who owned the phone for a week at launch talk about it when u have not owned it in months and have no idea how the phone performs NOW.. so give it up yea I was bashing the dx at launch with all the freezing and rebooting problems it had but MOTO ironed it out and guess what now I can accept that its a pretty good phone.... maybe u all should do the same..

I'm going to have to highly agree with this post and well written... Although droidx is just saying his experience with the phone that is in fact a old experience the bolt def stumbled out of the gate but after the last update the battery is much improved gps perfect no reboots or nothing just waiting on gb. I hope u people that ditched the phone due to problems can realize that they were fixed and I hope that everyone can see that HTC and MOTO support all there products and that is what's important there really the only company's you can say that about in the cell business.

blackmagick20

Reaction score
I bought the Tbolt at launch, and owned it...and the second one...and then the third replacement...up until July 8th, when I got my D3. I didn't have it for a week. I also really prefer a physical keyboard and I didn't like the sense ui, kickstand that didn't work for widescreen viewing if I had it plugged in, the notification led, and carrying an extra battery. I was answering the question to this post as to MY experience with the Tbolt. I also don't understand how there can be separate threads and thousands of comments complaining about battery life on the Tbolt, but then a handful of people that swear their battery lasts for 2 days on it. I mean...this is why it's stupid to ask 'which phone should I get' or 'is ________ that bad?' It's your own decision and it's a stupid cell phone...not a vehicle, house, or burial plot...not a life altering decision. This will all start over again in less than a few months when something bigger and better is announced.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
The only thing TBOLT hogs is battery.

That's a pretty big "only thing" since it completely ruins the phone experience.

Ruins the phone experience?
Can you call, can you text, internet browsing, play music, inspect and edit spreadsheets, make measurements, find locations, FB, G+ all that stuff is ruined because the BATTERY does not last 12 hrs??
Lmao. ok.

Better come up with a better argument then that would classify the TBOLT being "THAT BAD" according the OP.

Not when the battery's dead.

It's not an issue when Im at home, work, in the car, or near a charger. The problem is when Im going out for a day, I cant rely on being able to use the phone. If I go to the county fair, ball game, night out on the town, etc.. I cant rely on the phone to be available if needed since I have no idea when the phone is going to be dead.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the people that have battery life that is that bad. I don't think my battery life is that great but it easily gets me 10-12 hours, not 6. If I couldn't last 6 hours I'd be complaining too.

That said, I think most users don't have such terrible drain. My wife's bolt is completely stock and her battery life isn't anywhere near that poor.

Well earlier I mentioned that my phone has very inconsistent battery life. Sometimes it's tolerable and sometimes it's horrendous. The problem is, it always seems to be in horrendous mode when I need to actually use it for something

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
To be fair, when I'm in a really weak signal area the phone can drain pretty badly. Fortunately 4G is fairly strong in most places I need to be.

kparks

Reaction score
To be fair, when I'm in a really weak signal area the phone can drain pretty badly. Fortunately 4G is fairly strong in most places I need to be.

There is also a 4G 3g toggle in settings now

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

When I'm talking weak signal I'm talking 3G at best, sometimes switching to 1X.

edit: i guess i never tried shutting the LTE radio off at this one particular place.

kparks

Reaction score

When I'm talking weak signal I'm talking 3G at best, sometimes switching to 1X.

edit: i guess i never tried shutting the LTE radio off at this one particular place.

Yea it still helps I get 3g 1x at work and shut it off u can tell a little difference they should have a toggle widget soon I hope.

tc3

Reaction score
Since the latest update aside from a few quirks the phone functions well enough.

But the battery life even with 4G turned off is just unacceptably bad.

Reaction score
Since the latest update aside from a few quirks the phone functions well enough.

But the battery life even with 4G turned off is just unacceptably bad.

Define unacceptably bad. I keep mine on 3g most of the time and get 14 - 20 hours without recharging so most days I just plug it in before going to bed and that's all it takes.

hbark

Reaction score
Define unacceptably bad. I keep mine on 3g most of the time and get 14 - 20 hours without recharging so most days I just plug it in before going to bed and that's all it takes.

I do the same, but geez it is a 4G phone after all, and I live in an area where we have 4G, so we really shouldn't have to do that.

Reaction score
I agree that 4G battery life is lacking, but that's the price for being an early adopter. My first 3G smartphone died after 5 or 6 hours even if it was just in my pocket not being used (HTC Touch Diamond).

kparks

Reaction score

I do the same, but geez it is a 4G phone after all, and I live in an area where we have 4G, so we really shouldn't have to do that.

The extended battery works awesome

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My wife has one though I'm the tweaker for phones. She's complained a little about the battery at first because she didn't put it down for a week straight practically. I did put a rom on her phone that basically removed a lot of the bloat and stuff. It wasn't super tweaked or anything. I also put a kernel on it. She's pretty happy with it. The battery could be better, I won't lie, but at the same time, its not the biggest of issues to her, only me.