Phone got wet, now battery icon will just flash???

bigdogg44

Reaction score
any help would be great...if there is anything that can be done...Last night I got home and as I was getting out of my truck I dropped my phone in a large cup of water in my truck's cup holder, the cup only had about 2 inches of water in it so it only got wet from the BOTTOM of the phone about 2 inches, it did not go past the volume keys. I immediately removed the SIM card and used an air compressor to blow out the water...I left it to sit and went back to look at it about 30 minutes later and it was on...I actually sent a text and made a call...as soon as the call was made the phone shut off...I turned it back on and it stayed on for about 10 minutes but the screen was real jumpy so I decided to just shut it down, it took my about 10-15 to finally get it off...it then came back on by itself for about 20 seconds and then went back off...I took the back off and left it to dry all night, today it will only flash a WHITE battery icon with lightning bolt inside when its plugged in, if I hit the power and down volume button the little Droid dude with an open belly is laying down and there are options to "Start" (in GREEN), "Recovery (in RED), "QCOM" (in RED), "Factory" (in RED) and a couple others I cant remember, I have tried a couple of them but the only thing that happens is the big ANDROID LOGO in white comes on like its trying to start up but then back to nothing...there is also some things in the bottom left part of the screen under the droid dude...most I don't understand but there are a couple that says in green letters, Battery Status (ok) Charging and another that says Phone is Locked...any suggestions as what could be going on?? Sorry so long but only way to get all the details out...thanks for any help...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Idk if this is covered under the "one time no questions asked" policy... I really doubt it is.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Probably too late BUT anytime that ever happens get it into a bag of rice ASAP. It draws the moisture OUT. You may have blown the water IN with the air compressor.

Trust Me. I have Four(4) teenagers and while I have many many phones .... You can't find a bag of edible rice in my whole friggin' house unless you want Rice ala MotoSung with a side of Apple.
It works.
I caught two(2) of them going up in the attic every couple of days last summer....... Hmmm guess where the rice was that week?

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I keep Jasmine Rice around just for this sort of thing..... can't say it works, or is any better than plain rice... but it smells wonderful. ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Phone recovery kits don't work very well at all.. Its similar to rice.. But its a cillica gel(like you find in pockets of new clothes...

Really as consumers.. We should start demanding that our devices carry a decent level of water resistance.. Water makes up most of our world.. And we rely on these devices more and more.. And for the price that we pay for the flagship devices.. I think they should be able to take a dip in the pool and not fry..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Coffee and any other drink.. Like soda.. The sugar doesn't play well with electronic devices.

I've had to tear into many amplifiers for friends after someone spilled a can of whatever on the head.. Shut it off quick and unplug... Save what you can.. As for phones.. Different story

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My tube sock method works quite well. First make sure you use a stock that is newer, strong and not full of holes. Place the phone inside the sock, bottom USB connector towards the toe of the sock. Go outside or in a room with high ceilings and no obstructions nearby, and begin swinging the sock in a circular motion around your head like a helicopter rotor. The faster you can swing it the better. The centrifugal force is so great that the water has no choice but to seep out the bottom and onto the sock. It's strong enough to get even water under surface mount chips to seep out and exit the phone. I say do it for at least a couple minutes or until your arm gets tired. Then go with the rice. By eliminating any pockets of water or water out from under chips you make it easier for air to flow inside and for any moisture that remains on interior surfaces to evaporate and leech into the rice.