Phone got wet - NOT

PatG

Reaction score
Went to the Verizon store to get a screen issue resolved. I have dust on the inside of my screen!!

The guy at the store takes out the battery and the water indicator is red!! I never got the phone wet though! I have been very careful with it. So they want do anything about my screen issues since now the warranty is void.

Got the phone in February. Am I out of luck at this point or is there anything else I can do for Verizon to replace the phone?

Thanks.

diablo81588

Reaction score
Do you work outdoors? Sweat can cause the moisture indicator to change colors. That, or if you live in a very humid climate. As far as warranty is concerned, I would wait until open enrollment for assurion's insurance next year if the screen is still usable. Be prepared to pay a 100 dollar deductible though. You could also find a used one on eBay for relatively cheap. Verizon will not warranty a phone with a triggered moisture indicator.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
I live in the Northeast. I do use the phone in the gym but in a holder. I dropped it once outdoors when it was raining so that could also have caused it.

Oh well ebay may be my next option. The phone is actually fine I am just afraid the dust in the screen is going to get worse.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
diablo81588 said:
Do you work outdoors? Sweat can cause the moisture indicator to change colors. That, or if you live in a very humid climate. As far as warranty is concerned, I would wait until open enrollment for assurion's insurance next year if the screen is still usable. Be prepared to pay a 100 dollar deductible though. You could also find a used one on eBay for relatively cheap. Verizon will not warranty a phone with a triggered moisture indicator.

We don't promote insurance fraud here on DF.net.

acejavelin

Reaction score
There is also a water mark sticker INSIDE the phone itself, where you can't see it, so even if you replace the one that is visible the one inside will tell the true story.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

The enrollment period runs from March 1 through April 30, but if you do decide to enroll, be truthful with them and mention the water indicators. They may be willing to waive water damage protection at a lesser cost, or may simply say if the phone is functional now, that it's a non-issue. Either way, don't try to slide something in underhandedly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Buy a new battery and boom, New water mark.

Totally not cool, and besides the cost and the fact that he'll have opened the case himself essentially voids the warranty.

shockracer

Reaction score
Totally not cool, and besides the cost and the fact that he'll have opened the case himself essentially voids the warranty.

Do explain what's not cool??

The issue was with the "battery" water mark, not the phone per OPs info. By replacing the "issue" (the battery) its then fixed so the phone can be replaced for the dust problem.

FYI, our batteries are removable.

acejavelin

Reaction score
...The guy at the store takes out the battery and the water indicator is red!!...

PO said the water mark on the "battery", no mention of the water mark on the phone.
He actually made no specific reference to the water mark on the battery either, you are assuming that as well. All he REALLY said was that the guy at the store took the battery out and water indicator was red, he never mentioned if it was the one on the battery or the phone itself, in either case the battery would have to have to be removed to see it. If it was only the one on the battery, replacing it with a new battery would be acceptable, if it was the one on the phone itself there isn't really much that can be done.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Folks

I didn't want to start anything with my threat or try to cheat Verizon. Basically I was pissed off at Verizon, I guess. I went to the Verizon store since I have a huge amount of dust under my screen, so much that it really is affecting the screen especially with a white background. They looked at it and told me that the phone got wet.

Both the wetness indicator on the battery AND the phone are red. However, I did NOT immerse the phone into water. It did not fall into a toilet or pool. I dropped it once on the ground while it was raining, that's it. Otherwise the phone is in my pocket even on rainy days. So in my estimation that wetness indicator is showing a false positive, or it is very sensitive. The phone works fine.

So I am stuck, I guess. I do have a free upgrade but then I'll lose unlimited. I don't want to pay full retail for my phone or the other phones on my plan as that makes no sense whatsoever economically just to keep unlimited data (Family is typically at 4-6 GB a month). It just sucks that I need to use an upgrade to replace a phone that in my estimation did not get wet, or pay full retail, or try to get a phone of eBay. But the Rezound (which I love) is still $350+ there, too.

vatothe0

Reaction score
It's a moisture sensor, not a scuba sensor. Read up on what they do and how they work.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
It's a moisture sensor, not a scuba sensor. Read up on what they do and how they work.

Yes, I understand that. I now that if the phone gets completely submerged it is shot. However, as I said - I dropped it once while it was raining. It is working fine. I think the moisture sensor is way to sensitive, that's all!!!