Droid got wet....will they cover it?

gmen27

Reaction score
Last night i set my alarm and knocked over a glass of water and got the screen slightly wet. i dried it off immediately and the screen was still lit so i thought it was ok. then i woke up late and noticed the thing wont turn on at all.

i bought this thing a couple weeks ago with the 7.99 a month insurance plan. does that cover water damage or should i just tell them it's not working for some reason? but i dont know if there's some way they can tell it got damaged from water.

so am i covered for water damage or should i just lie to them when i take it to get checked?​

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is actually a way to tell if the phone got wet... Open your battery cover, to the left of where the SD card goes is a hole that has a white background with red +'s. That'll change if it got wet. Now, maybe you got lucky an that little piece didn't get wet and change color though.

J-Buck

Reaction score
yeh if the battery indicator didn't get wet ur inusrance will work with no problems. dont mention this mishap to them tho lol. just tell them it wouldnt turn on

OP
G

gmen27

Reaction score
yeh if the battery indicator didn't get wet ur inusrance will work with no problems. dont mention this mishap to them tho lol. just tell them it wouldnt turn on

but my insurance won't cover water damage if they find out that's what happened?

then what was the point of paying 7.99 a month?

hughesjr

Reaction score
Insurance should cover it regardless of whether it got wet or not.

Warranty (and not insurance) would cover it if it did not get wet ... or at least does not show that it got wet.

With one, you have a deductible, with the other you do not.

OP
G

gmen27

Reaction score

Warranty (and not insurance) would cover it if it did not get wet ... or at least does not show that it got wet.

correct me if im wrong, but does the insurance get activated 30 days after i bought it? i think i read that somewhere but i could be wrong.

my friend told me to put it in a bowl of rice and have it sealed to extract all the water from the phone. not sure im gonna do that.

and if i have that 7.99 a month insurance should i just flat out tell them i got it wet or just say it doesnt work. thanks everyone

J-Buck

Reaction score

I always thought that if the wetness indicator got wet they don't accept it? thats happened to me before. because they consider water your fault

NVM!!!! ur right They cover water damage
Asurion said:
"Our coverage protects you from phone loss, theft and damage (even water damage)"
http://www.asurion.com/handset_protection/handset_protection.html

Last edited:

soyboy

Reaction score
Seems like the insurance would cover it. What's the difference if you get it wet, or accidently drop it and break it or it gets stolen? Hope you get it sorted out.

OP
G

gmen27

Reaction score
Seems like the insurance would cover it. What's the difference if you get it wet, or accidently drop it and break it or it gets stolen? Hope you get it sorted out.

thanks. and yea i just feel like they're always gonna find a way to try and screw you no matter what so idk. im about to head over to verizone right now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Insurance will send you a new phone regardless what happened. I've smashed many phones back in the day out of anger and they replaced them without question. You have to pay the $90 deductible but it's still better than a non working phone :)
They only need to know the phone doesn't work, not what happened :)

OP
G

gmen27

Reaction score
good news

just got back from verizon and the man said i was gonna get a new phone until he said let's try a different battery and that was the problem. replaced the battery and i walked out satisfied :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
good news

just got back from verizon and the man said i was gonna get a new phone until he said let's try a different battery and that was the problem. replaced the battery and i walked out satisfied :)
Woot! Yay! :icon_ banana:

dnahikian

Reaction score
I dropped my Droid in water and followed all the advice I found on these forums. It has been 24 hours with the battery out and I have it a bowl of rice and set it where it can get a lot of sun. This morning the screen was milky white and it wasn't that way last night. Throughout the day the white as disappeared. Is this a good sign? I am hoping the moisture that was in the phone was the white discoloraton and that it disappearing means the water is drying out. I am trying to be patient and wait another day or two before I put the battery back in and see if it will turn on.

Please tell me there is still hope.

Reaction score
There is actually a way to tell if the phone got wet... Open your battery cover, to the left of where the SD card goes is a hole that has a white background with red +'s. That'll change if it got wet. Now, maybe you got lucky an that little piece didn't get wet and change color though.

I had a BB Storm that got wet, then I took the battery out, put the battery cover back on, and stuck it in some rice (it drew the water to the screen). Then I used a blow dryer (not too hot) to dry the water that was brought to the screen. I repeated the process until there was no more water and turned the unit back on a few hours later. It worked. You can try that. If it doesn't work, at least all the water will be out of the screen and Verizon may take it back.

The only thing is that if the water indicator inside the back cover or on the battery is wet, then you will have to use your insurance instead of a straight replacement.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Insurance will send you a new phone regardless what happened. I've smashed many phones back in the day out of anger and they replaced them without question. You have to pay the $90 deductible but it's still better than a non working phone :)
They only need to know the phone doesn't work, not what happened :)

Am I the only one who found this post absolutely hilarious?