OTA 5.8.894 spotted in the wild

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Right on guys, thanks for setting me straight on the update being demo only firmware :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
i don't recall if 5.5.893 included a radio or kernel update, since it starts with 5.5 it may not in which case you may have options for getting back to 5.5.886 (stock) and then future OTA updates.

you can definitely get to 5.7.893 (significantly improved radio) which i am on, but then there is no guarantee you will ever be able to get back on the official OTA bandwagon.

I've read otherwise; that updating to .893 does change the radio and kernel. That's why after updating you got better reception and less drop off. I also downloaded that update but have since returned to .886, but I still think I'm off the official update path because my kernel and radio didn't revert. Can someone clarify this if I'm wrong?

GoBears

Reaction score
No one knows because the official OTA hasn't been released.

dpw2atox

Reaction score
Basically, from what i've gathered we need to have the stock system, webtop, kernel and radios (886) to be able to install the current leaked 5.8.894. This may or may not be the final OTA and only has a few very minor changes from 5.7.893. I am hoping that Motorola ends up releasing a 5.8.895 update without the kernel/radio checks so we can simply restore system and webtop then install the OTA.

Only way to know is to wait and see.....

In the interm, do any of the fxz files have a stock kernel in them? If so will it flash back or does it fail?

B

bens42608

I know lots of u r gonna shake ur head n look down on manlike im stupid for asking such a "dumb" question but I upgraded from completely stock to. 893 n it helped alot especially increasing my batter life to like double the time. My question is, if I hadn't upgraded and now I was to go from stock to the. 894 update, what would be different? What does 894 do diffrent from 893? Is one much better than the other? Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Actually ben, it looks like as of now you won't BE ABLE to update with the OTA. Those who installed the leaked update altered the "radio kernel" in their phone, and the OTA requires the original kernel to be successful. So if you did the update, you don't meet the requirements to download and install the OTA fix.

B

bens42608

Actually ben, it looks like as of now you won't BE ABLE to update with the OTA. Those who installed the leaked update altered the "radio kernel" in their phone, and the OTA requires the original kernel to be successful. So if you did the update, you don't meet the requirements to download and install the OTA fix.

I understand that, I was asking IF I was stock. I just want to know the difference. So far all I've found is that 894 messes with root and is not beneficial

wilboy

Reaction score
Last edited:

ripper2860

Reaction score
5.7.894 kills ROOT. The recently spotted 5.8.894 seems to retain ROOT based on posts I've seen. I've also read that the RADIO/Baseband files can be rolled back, however, the system kernel cannot. The kernel update is the potential "official" OTA update killer; however no one will really know if it is until the "official" OTA is actually released. This is what is also preventing folks from applying the 8.893 leaked patch if they've applied a previous OTA "leak", even if they'e rolled back the SYSTEM and RADIO to .886 -- the kernel mismatch.

OP
R

rduckwor

Reaction score
Anyone taken the 5.8.894 leap yet? How is it running? any obvious improvements?

Thanks,

RMD

RETUSAFNCO

Reaction score
When I first updated everything worked fine...after awhile I restored my phone to stock then attempted to root and I could not. I had to wipe everything to reroot and forever root. I'm now back to. 886...I may try to update again.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Wth? What's
Up with the hash in Mt texts all of a sudden?
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk