5.8.894 update rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

QABDJ

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity..

I just updated to 5.8.894 an it is incredible the camera is flawless and the data so far has not even hiccuped. The battery life is twice as long as the 5.7.893 i have been on performance mode for battery setting for the last 6 hours an still have 80%. Every bug that has been mentioned with the bionic has been fixed with this update as far as i can tell i am still going over it with a fine tooth comb. The downside to this update is u have to be bare bones stock to apply it if u have installed any of the leaked updates the update will fail. I have the update on my sdcard lol i just dont know how to upload it if anyone has any ideas let me know so i can get it out there. For everyone that applied any updated an now the new update will fail when u try to install it. Restore it completely to stock unroot it an make up a story for verizon to get a factory replacement lol. A simple data loss issue will get u a new one ;-) but make it sound convincing oh an ask for over night shipping cuz lol its free with factory replacements. I wish the best of luck for all the droid bionics out there.(update as of 4:30 am pacific time) -> i just confirmed that root is retained after 5.8.894 update i am now rocking a droid bionic root an updated with the soak test ota if any one out there wants the soak test ota here is a link for it ( Blur_Version.5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip ) u must be barebone stock to apply it if u have applied any ota update from 5.5.893-5.7.893 the update will fail fxz flash backs to stock will not work.

Am I the only one here that is curious as to why the download gives your phone a 5.5.893.XT875 System version when everyone is talking that this is the 5.8.894 version? The file name is a close give away. I did this update back towards the beginning of November when it first hit.

It there something I'm missing here, Or????

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i just ordered my Bionic and should receive it tomorrow. who is working this 5.8.894 update? i've read that there are some issues, but this phone has potential and there is an update in the works that will fix all or most of these issues. is this the update. i really dont't want to root unless i have too, but i want this phone to work as advertised. should i wait for the official OTA? or is this update my best bet. Thanks.

Since you don't even have the phone yet, I would wait to see if you even have any of the issues - not everyone does.

Then if you do, the good thing is we should be getting pretty close to an OTA update... so you'll have a lot less time to wait than most of us. :tongue:

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
QABDJ;[URL="tel:1868644" said:
1868644[/URL]]Am I the only one here that is curious as to why the download gives your phone a 5.5.893.XT875 System version when everyone is talking that this is the 5.8.894 version? The file name is a close give away. I did this update back towards the beginning of November when it first hit.

it gives u a 5.8.894 version even though it says 5.5.886 it was the same with the 5.7.893

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
Um, how 'bout some sublety here...

lol i called tech support at moto an he saw the version i had an asked how the beta testing was going i kinda had to play along cuz 1 i had no idea what he was taking about at the time an 2 i dont think he knows i cheescaked there servers and 3 this update checks for bare bones stock thus eliminating all cheescakers from receiving this update making the testing pool very small an easily policed but i dont think they realize how easy it is to do a warranty replacement :biggrin: thank u god for the gullible tech reps at verizon may u shower us poor bionic users with more blessings lmao

Jeez, will you guys stop posting how easy it is to dupe VZW out of 'warranty' phones? I mean thanks for your efforts re the .894 OTA, but put a lid on the stuff about getting free phones outta big red will ya. What you do is your business but stop posting about it. It's not like those guys never read these posts...
:blink:

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
BleedingEdge;[URL="tel:1868739" said:
1868739[/URL]]Jeez, will you guys stop posting how easy it is to dupe VZW out of 'warranty' phones? I mean thanks for your efforts re the .894 OTA, but put a lid on the stuff about getting free phones outta big red will ya. What you do is your business but stop posting about it. It's not like those guys never read these posts...
:blink:

well its not like they know who it is thats doing it unless u post ur phone number or something on here they wont ever know who posted here but its the only way to get back on the upgrade path forthe people that cheese caked the .893 unless a dev comes up with a work around an with no way of rolling back the kernel the chances of coming up with a work around are getting slim

bigtex52

Reaction score
Am I the only one here that is curious as to why the download gives your phone a 5.5.893.XT875 System version when everyone is talking that this is the 5.8.894 version? The file name is a close give away. I did this update back towards the beginning of November when it first hit.

No, most here have read and know that Moto typically titles their update with the version that it is updating FROM.

bigtex52

Reaction score
This may or may not be the OTA soak test version. The odds are that it's probably not but there is always hope. If it's not, this will probably be your last update until Moto rolls it out to the general public.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
Since you don't even have the phone yet, I would wait to see if you even have any of the issues - not everyone does.

Then if you do, the good thing is we should be getting pretty close to an OTA update... so you'll have a lot less time to wait than most of us. :tongue:

way ahead of you :biggrin: never rooted before and wasnt planning on it just yet. i will experiment with my OG first, just incase it's too challenging. appreciate the advice though.

sperho

Reaction score
I installed .894 last night. Battery life seems to have marginal if any improvement. I would get about 10 hours of light to moderate usage from the stock battery before, and now I'm at 43% remaining with 6 hours on battery, which equates to about the same 10 hours. The big difference for me is that today I decided to leave bluetooth turned on all day. Previous to the update, I had it off all the time because it would eat as much battery as cell standby even without being connected to another device. Today I have been connected for a total of about 15 minutes, disconnected the rest of the time, and BT has only eaten 2% of the battery.

I didn't have frequent issues with data drop before, so I can't comment on that.

That's great news on the bluetooth front. Was your cell radio on CDMA/LTE the whole time or just CDMA only?

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's great news on the bluetooth front. Was your cell radio on CDMA/LTE the whole time or just CDMA only?

My battery life is lasting longer cuz i am on cdma onlu cuz 4g hasnt reached me so i have significant batterry life since my phone isnt constantly looking for 4g plus the new update on top of that

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
new phone on the way :biggrin: level II rep just stated that the engineers sent out the last update and it didnt work so they pulled it and are currently working on the latest update.

Sooooo, that tells me the "leaked" updates were just that....purposely leaked by moto for our testing. Like another poster stated, these leaked versions came straight off of moto servers. So basically we were the guinea pigs. Think I'll wait for the actual OTA once its released and then go from there.

What is the link to unroot and revert back to "stock" or as stock as I can get before I send it back? thanks

rduckwor

Reaction score
Not surprising that we are/were the Soak testers. Moto forum managers can deny it until they are blue in the face, BUT moto is leaking these OTA's to the community for free testing outcomes.

RMD

jzmax22

Reaction score
I got an invite to participate in the soak test but i have not received any futher notification. Im kinda glad they havent released it. Its probably better recieve something that works than release something half assed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

wseyller

Reaction score
new phone on the way :biggrin: level II rep just stated that the engineers sent out the last update and it didnt work so they pulled it and are currently working on the latest update.

Sooooo, that tells me the "leaked" updates were just that....purposely leaked by moto for our testing. Like another poster stated, these leaked versions came straight off of moto servers. So basically we were the guinea pigs. Think I'll wait for the actual OTA once its released and then go from there.

What is the link to unroot and revert back to "stock" or as stock as I can get before I send it back? thanks

R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 - xda-developers

Use Option 4

jzmax22

Reaction score
Quick question. Which version of the kernal is tge stock one?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.