****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

robyr

Reaction score
Other than 2 extra screens and slight formatting appearance differences of some apps, not sure I'd notice. But ... Still no flash, VERY few apps will load to SD - thought all would be my choice, have to use ATK MORE now to kill UNRELATED apps that non-sensically, randomly run in background, Blink keeps saying memory low but same 64 apps (in fact deleted 5 big ones) - of course 10 of them I can't get rid of since I'm not rooted, EVO keyboard no longer runs, don't like that I have to X out of car mode vs using "back" key, camera to gallery still slow (hours at times), good thing is yahoo notifications working again which were lost in 2.1 .... but despite all I still LOVE my motodroid1.

Your task killer is the issue here. Stop using that crap.

jgumphress

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying, "still no flash". I have Adobe Flash and it works pretty well. I waited for the 2.2 to come OTA and I was at work when it came down. The first thing I did when it was finished loading was to go online and download Flash. Not from the Market but from a link in the Forum. Yea, it's not officially on the Market yet and it's not part of the 2.2 build package but I don't recall ever reading where it was suppose to be. Froyo does run Flash and it is available.

And, YES, get rid of the app killers all together. This is Linux not Windows.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what's the best feature with the latest update?

I think it's the one thing that the Droid should have had from the beginning - bluetooth voice dialing. Right next to it would be ability to move apps to SD card.

My wife and my brother both tell me that bluetooth voice dialing is not working well for them, it picks up the wrong contact. I have tested it many times and each time it calls the correct person. I guess it likes my voice better. :D

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Nopetize

Reaction score
OK! .... and in its place, you suggest what????

You don't neeed or use anything. That's the whole point. The Droid can handle it's background applications fine without interference from task killers.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Read what google thinks about task killers, then you'll understand why so many of us say task killers are unnecessary.

This is actually true. After I received my OTA, Droid ran like someone pierced his side with a sword. I was hating Froyo....then I uninstalled ATK and Droid started picking up momentum, especially when I stopped killing apps.dancedroid

KevinJ

Reaction score
My wife and my brother both tell me that bluetooth voice dialing is not working well for them, it picks up the wrong contact. I have tested it many times and each time it calls the correct person. I guess it likes my voice better. :D
Funny you say that. I was messing with bluetooth dial the other day, and it was either dialing the wrong person, or redialing the last call. I found I was holding down the little button on my earpiece too long. If I just do a short press, and say the commend, it works great. :)

nomusa53

Reaction score
Thanks all!! I'm just a user, tekkie-wannabe :), and only 6 months exposure to Android. As such .... I DID do as you suggested and discovered info totally counter to what I'd previously been told. I assume OTHER newbies could benefit from knowing this too ...

Android OS does not work like desktop WHERE user is responsible for closing programs to have reasonable amt memory available. On Android, OS automatically removes programs from memory as needed. OS may also preload apps that might soon be needed. Having lots of available empty memory is NOT a good thing. It takes same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. As such, using a task manager to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Only "end" apps if working incorrectly or phone/device performing poorly for unknown reason. dancedroid

RJO55

Reaction score
I'm considering un-rooting and going back to stock 2.2 but I HAVE to have Wireless tethering and I'm wondering if there's an app for that...? Hahahah :)

Re-bumping this! Very curious.

Bumping again. Hate to be annoying but I could really use some suggestions.
I've been using EasyTether with no problems. It's $9.95, but worth every penny. Plus I just got the 2.2 upgrade last Thursday and I've had no issues with it.

As a metter of fact, I'm tethered right now.

Snoking

Reaction score
Well, I am running a little test here. I got the OTA update last Wednesday morning and it hung on the Triangle ! screen. I talked to Verizon and waited 30 minutes. VZW said take it in or they could send me one. I was on the boat in the San Juan Islands so I could not run to the VZW store and did not want a replacement, so I finally pushed the power button and it rebooted. It has been running OK, but battery life was less than 2.1.

SO! I just copied the 78MB file to it and did a manual update over the existing 2.2 Froyo. It took the manual update and went correctly thru the update this time. Anything on the phone looks good. I will report back as to if it is running better. Chris

(Jason)

Reaction score
Is there an upside in updating Droid to the official Froyo 2.2 vs keeping FRG01B? To me it seems like a lateral move. Just curious. Thanks.