****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

babyman287

Reaction score
Quick question. Is it still worth rooting the Droid on the 2.2 update and mess with the overclocking and custom ROM's? Not that I will EVER try to overclock again after frying my last phone but just curious if it's still worth it.

On this note how do you root with stock 2.2 on your phone already? I see a bunch of tutorials online about how to root with 2.01 and 2.1, but nothing on how to root with 2.2. I'm not concerned about custom roms or overclocking, I just want to take advantage of wifi tethering and a few apps that need root privileges.

No one seems to answer this question...I have 2.2 non rooted and want to know how to root??

Do I have to flash back to 2.0.1 or 2.1?

Can I root straight from 2.2?

How?...need help

FastKatt

Reaction score
Well, I let it try to update, it gave up because I'm rooted & all is good
Now, I just need to get my BB update to BBv0.5
Frustrating to be running an out-of-date Firmware...

I hope the DX get 2.2 soon, I can't wait to see what my wife's phone can do with all that power!

EDIT:
Isn't there an app in the market to "one touch root" the Droid?

dannydoes

Reaction score
It's *228 -- what you dial for activation (opt.1) or increase roaming capabilities (opt. 2).
@furbearingmammal -- will everyone be getting this second update (unrooted)?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I appreciate your help Pheonix, but just so I understand, it's ok to activate a phone that is already activated. There's no danger in this?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
If you are just increasing your roaming you aren't actually reactivating. You do have to reactivate if you do a factory reset though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
@furbearingmammal -- will everyone be getting this second update (unrooted)?

That's the report. It's supposed to "make Flash visible in the market" or something like that. It could be a full ROM update like FRG01B is, or it could be a tiny alteration. Nobody who knows is talking and, like Hookbill said in one of the threads, until something official comes out backing it up it's just hearsay (paraphrased, hope you don't mind Hooky ol' buddy ;)).

No one seems to answer this question...I have 2.2 non rooted and want to know how to root??

Do I have to flash back to 2.0.1 or 2.1?

Can I root straight from 2.2?

How?...need help

Yes you can, you might have to, I'll provide a link to how. Easy Root will root your phone but it won't give you uber control over it. We're working on an issue (and by we, I mean the community as a whole and MotoCache1 and the DF Rescue Squad in particular) that has cropped up with the OTA bootloader when the update was installed automatically on at least some phones. Please be patient if you want custom ROMs, or use Easy Root or a similar program if you can no longer wait. Despite what others and I have reported in the past, Easy Root is legitimate software. Please see the link in my signature for further information on what to do post-root. Please keep in mind ROM Manager may not be able to flash a recovery image at present till we get the new boot loader situation worked out.

As such, the best way to root is STILL to SBF your phone back to 2.0.1 and root from there.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

I hope this has answered your question.

[I appreciate your help Pheonix, but just so I understand, it's ok to activate a phone that is already activated. There's no danger in this?

You have to register your phone after a baseband update and after many ROM installs, so, yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if it was an issue we'd have heard of it from probably 2-3 thousand people venting their frustrations over the problems its caused. :)

babyman287

Reaction score
thanks furbearinganimal..
What if I bought my phone 2.0 stock and not 2.0.1?

*nvm you answered*

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
thanks furbearinganimal..
What if I bought my phone 2.0 stock and not 2.0.1?

*nvm you answered*
It doesn't matter. There are two levels of root -- root access in the OS and having a custom recovery image. Even if you're running a phone without root access in the OS, having a custom recovery image means you're rooted. With the CRI you can do anything you want to your phone short of changing the hardware keyboard or making the screen bigger. If all you want is to tether for free, get rid of the Facebook app, and maybe a mild overclock, you don't need the CRI. If you want a ROM, themes, to really overclock, etc, you need the CRI. Root access is readily available to anyone via Easy Root and DM Updater (once the new version comes out) and similar apps. At the moment, putting a CRI in is problematic on 2.2, but fine on everything else. If you don't mind wiping your phone back to stock, go back, otherwise please hold. We'll let you know when we know.

joem1481

Reaction score
the 2.2 seems to run a little slower. Sometimes when I go screen to screen it take a few to get the icons to show. Or even when opening an app it seems to be a little slower.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the 2.2 seems to run a little slower. Sometimes when I go screen to screen it take a few to get the icons to show. Or even when opening an app it seems to be a little slower.
A while back someone suggested playing with the Window& Transition Animation settings in Spare Parts. I currently have them at "Fast" and haven't seen any slowdowns (w/ Launcher Pro) in weeks.

I also moved up from a kernel with 125MHz minimum speed to 250MHz, which has had basically no impact on battery life, but made "waking up" a much more pleasant experience!

-Matt

joem1481

Reaction score
A while back someone suggested playing with the Window& Transition Animation settings in Spare Parts. I currently have them at "Fast" and haven't seen any slowdowns (w/ Launcher Pro) in weeks.

I also moved up from a kernel with 125MHz minimum speed to 250MHz, which has had basically no impact on battery life, but made "waking up" a much more pleasant experience!

-Matt

how do I bump it up.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

-Matt

how do I bump it up.
Sorry, I assume you're rooted and can load in a new kernel. I've had good luck with P3Droid's:

P3Droid Kernels

But there are several others listed here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ms-kernels-baseband-updates-source-leaks.html

-Matt

ryeadams

Reaction score
i manually installed 2.2 on my droid shortly after it was released, then rooted it and installed bugless beast. any reason why i'm getting a system update notification for froyo 2.2? the file that was downloaded is 45.2 mb if that helps.

thanks for any help!

nod2mybeats

Reaction score
Weatherbug and Froyo aren't getting along. Everytime it kills weatherbug, the temperature, at the time it was killed, stays in the notification panel irremovably. It's not a huge deal but it's really annoying. Any fix?

Also I've noticed that since froyo, the internet "restores" windows even after being killed but my Mem counts are noticeably lower whenever I task kill.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
i manually installed 2.2 on my droid shortly after it was released, then rooted it and installed bugless beast. any reason why i'm getting a system update notification for froyo 2.2? the file that was downloaded is 45.2 mb if that helps.

thanks for any help!
Bugless Beast V4 is getting hit with update notices. You are far from the first person, and not the first in this thread, to make this observation. It's built on old code. V5 will be available "soon".

The only option, since some people who installed the fix for this issue that Pete put out on his subforum have reported it didn't work, is to let SPRecovery or CW Recovery run block when it tries to intall.

xxwake4lifexx

Reaction score
@ xxwake4lifexx

If you still have the issue install issue at this point, please wait. Other than trying to download another file and trying again (because if it's in the right place and named right it sounds like you're trying to install a rooted ROM), you don't have any options at this point. A guide with detailed step-by-step instructions and some troubleshooting tips may be up as early as this evening, and you may get the OTA push before then -- and hopefully if so it'll install without a hitch for you.

Is anyone else still receiving the OTA? I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to install a rooted ROM. I just download the 2.2 update file, make sure its named 'update.zip,' and place it onto the root of the SD card. Boot and go to apply update.zip.

EDIT: 1:37am got the update. About time.