****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

cgm205

Reaction score
Thanks radsaq

for your post:

Regarding the two different update.zip files

It eased my mind since I got mine ota directly from VZ and was wondering if I had everything.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm having trouble moving the update file to the root. Everytime I try to (I've used Astro AND File Manager, mind you), I copy the update file, then I try to get to the listing where 'root' is, it basically refreshes itself, which forces it to lose its copy, which does not allow me to copy it to the root.

I can't win for losing.
in Astro -- SD card "root" is option sdcard when you first load Astro.

On mine 'root' has its own folder.
Yeah, that throws people. I like the first Astro beta I tried -- it opened directly onto the root and that made things a LOT simpler.

When we say move something to the root of the SD card we're generally referring to how we'd see it on a computer screen. When you open it up on a computer you go right to the root of the drive, and that's the one with all the folders listed like download and facebook and crashlogs and so on.

vonfink13

Reaction score
I got it....it took me few tries..but I got it...thanks to tennis for reposting the Android Forums instructions...my problem was that i was assuming that Astro put the file on the sd card..that was not the caes...thanks...

FWIW - my wife's Droid was updated Saturday morning; I'm still awaiting the OTA - we're in Colorado (again, for what it's worth).

OK, finally am impatient enough with Verizon that I'm going to manually install 2.2 - and I think I've read enough of this forum to make an attempt here.

From what I've read, it sounds like downloading the 'full' version (75.6MB) is a slightly healthier solution than the 45MB patch upgrade that Verizon is pushing out.

If I understand correctly, that full version is:

9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

Now, to install, do I rename this 'update.zip', place it on my root of my SD card, reboot into stock recovery mode and install, per instructions found in places such as:

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2) - Android Forums

(my basic question is whether I need to rename this file to 'update.zip')

OP
A

alphawave7

Reaction score
@vonfink13 Congrats! Fortunately, the update error messages are actually helpful in determining what went wrong (unlike Winblows!) LOL!

tennis0034

Reaction score
Slicker than .... !!

Thanks Alphawave7 and Sinbad for the quick response -- renamed the file to update.zip (not update.zip.zip!) loaded onto SD root directory, rebooted into recovery mode and ran update -- took about a minute or two to install -- rebooted -- that took a bit longer (5 minutes?). System came up, a little sluggish at first, but seems like within 5-10 minutes or so was running pretty zippy.

And this is in fact the exact same version description that my wife's Droid showed after her OTA update from Verizon:

Android version 2.2
Baseband version C_01.43.01P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848
Build Number: FRG01B

So everything's copacetic!

Ran linpack: 8.306MFLOPS
Ran Quadrant: 823

So, now that this ran without incident, I'm ready to start being a bit more aggressive to root and overclock, etc. But this raises a new set of questions (that I'm not sure was clearly described in this forum):

- It's expected that a second upgrade is coming, to support Flash 10.1, correct? If I understand the threads here, Flash needs to clock at 800Mhz, and the FRG01B update only moves the Droid from 550 to 600Mhz. And do I have this right that this was going to be the FRG22 update, but apparently there are some reports of funnies with that. So, is current recommendation to wait for Verizon to send out that second OTA update, or manually load FRG22, or root my current unrooted FRG01B and load an application to allow for overclocking (is 800MHZ the limit with the Droid1?) and then download Flash separately when Adobe believes it's stable? (or is there a different solution here?)

At least I can have some relief now that I can play with 2.2 for a while before I get impatient again!!

This forum rocks!! Thanks to all who have contributed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So, now that this ran without incident, I'm ready to start being a bit more aggressive to root and overclock, etc. But this raises a new set of questions (that I'm not sure was clearly described in this forum):

- It's expected that a second upgrade is coming, to support Flash 10.1, correct? If I understand the threads here, Flash needs to clock at 800Mhz, and the FRG01B update only moves the Droid from 550 to 600Mhz. And do I have this right that this was going to be the FRG22 update, but apparently there are some reports of funnies with that. So, is current recommendation to wait for Verizon to send out that second OTA update, or manually load FRG22, or root my current unrooted FRG01B and load an application to allow for overclocking (is 800MHZ the limit with the Droid1?) and then download Flash separately when Adobe believes it's stable? (or is there a different solution here?)

At least I can have some relief now that I can play with 2.2 for a while before I get impatient again!!

A few things - the stock FroYo kernel can be overclocked to 800MHz from within SetCPU on a bare-bones rooted Droid. Flash has been running fine via the betas for months and a final version for the Nexus 1 dropped very recently; a final build for the Droid is dropping the 18th to the Market. In order to install FRG22 you have to be rooted and running an alternate recovery image. Each Droid is different for overclocking. Some can run 1.3GHz, some can't push 800MHz without crapping out. How you want to proceed is up to you, but keep in mind that every time a new build is pushed out it increases the chances of an easy root method being blocked. At the moment the best method for rooting is to flash an SBF onto the phone, and some people have had to flash Android 2.0.1 on -- essentially wiping their phone clean -- in order to root.

plongson

Reaction score
Is there a good web page or game that shows off what Flash now does?

jerroedr

Reaction score
Hook and mammal at it again! Thanks for the info. You two could turn your names a cartoon lol

I'll do some research and get back to you with any questions.

One thing I saw was that rooting is the equal to an I phone jailbreak but with the jailbreak if something requires service I read that you can do a.factory reset and save the warranty. Is this not true for the droid?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hook and mammal at it again! Thanks for the info. You two could turn your names a cartoon lol

I'll do some research and get back to you with any questions.

One thing I saw was that rooting is the equal to an I phone jailbreak but with the jailbreak if something requires service I read that you can do a.factory reset and save the warranty. Is this not true for the droid?
Rooting a Droid often involves flashing in a custom recovery image -- if you do so, Verizon won't honor a warranty. The stock insurance company just wants your $80 co-pay to replace the phone if something happens.

If you don't flash in a custom recovery image you can unroot easily enough.

tennis0034

Reaction score

A few things - the stock FroYo kernel can be overclocked to 800MHz from within SetCPU on a bare-bones rooted Droid. Flash has been running fine via the betas for months and a final version for the Nexus 1 dropped very recently; a final build for the Droid is dropping the 18th to the Market. In order to install FRG22 you have to be rooted and running an alternate recovery image. Each Droid is different for overclocking. Some can run 1.3GHz, some can't push 800MHz without crapping out. How you want to proceed is up to you, but keep in mind that every time a new build is pushed out it increases the chances of an easy root method being blocked. At the moment the best method for rooting is to flash an SBF onto the phone, and some people have had to flash Android 2.0.1 on -- essentially wiping their phone clean -- in order to root.

FB - thanks also for your comments here -- here's where I get lost in the weeds

1) Could you define 'alternate recovery image'? Is this the same as a third party ROM, or is this a different recovery boot tool (different from the 'stock' recovery boot tool in a standard drop OS)?

2) Can't seem to find a definition for 'SBF' - could you define that as well?

3) If I'm on SRG01B, are you suggesting I need to backup to 2.0.1 in order to root? My goal is to have a superset of 2.2 - I like the features it provides, but would also like to tether and of course get Flash when it's available. Can I get there from here?