****Official FroYo Rollout Thread-Version2!****

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It must read Update.zip. Not just update or Update.zip.zip.

Just want to be clear on that.:)

jerroedr

Reaction score
FWIW - my wife's Droid was updated Saturday morning; I'm still awaiting the OTA - we're in Colorado (again, for what it's worth).

OK, finally am impatient enough with Verizon that I'm going to manually install 2.2 - and I think I've read enough of this forum to make an attempt here.

From what I've read, it sounds like downloading the 'full' version (75.6MB) is a slightly healthier solution than the 45MB patch upgrade that Verizon is pushing out.

If I understand correctly, that full version is:

9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

Now, to install, do I rename this 'update.zip', place it on my root of my SD card, reboot into stock recovery mode and install, per instructions found in places such as:

[How-To] Force the Official Android 2.2 Froyo Update for the Motrola Droid (FRG01B | Update 1 of 2) - Android Forums

(my basic question is whether I need to rename this file to 'update.zip')

Yes but just name it update since its already .zip

hoosiermama

Reaction score
My mother always said I didn't have any patience. Updated following the directions on the Android Forums link. Simple! Already found things I like--particularly the camera and the improved screen when the Droid is in my dock. Nice!

jerroedr

Reaction score
So I now have astro and flash on my sd card. now what?

and also can someone direct me towards tethering? If I'm right that's using my phones net to give my laptop for instance an internet connection wherever?

Thanks again

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
sorry to be a pest, but how do I do it?

im still a noob
Install Astro from the market. Now download that link, wait for it to finish, then open Astro, navigate to sdcard/download, scroll the window to where the Flash .apk is saved, then long press it. Pick extract and pay attention to what happens. From there find the .apk and short-press it. Once you do that you'll be given the option to brose or open the App Manager -- you want the app manager. Once in there it'll give you the option to install.

I'm guessing you probably want to do that after jumping through all these hoops, but the choice is yours. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So I now have astro and flash on my sd card. now what?

and also can someone direct me towards tethering? If I'm right that's using my phones net to give my laptop for instance an internet connection wherever?

Thanks again
Correct on the tethering. If you want to pay Verizon a monthly sum, it's in the settings>wireless & networks>tethering. If you want to have it free with no hassle, you'll have to root. If you want WiFi tethering, you'll have to root. If you want a cheap solution to USB tether, look at PDANet ($30 last I knew) or Easy Tether ($11 last I knew) to try for two weeks for free before you have to pay for them. If you're comfortable messing around with your proxies and whatnot, Proxoid is free.

mtdawg169

Reaction score
From what I've read, it sounds like downloading the 'full' version (75.6MB) is a slightly healthier solution than the 45MB patch upgrade that Verizon is pushing out.

If I understand correctly, that full version is:

9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip
Where is this larger file located? Can it be installed over the 45MB update version? My Droid is acting a little buggy sine I manually downloaded t update.

mrgagentleman

Reaction score
I'm having trouble moving the update file to the root. Everytime I try to (I've used Astro AND File Manager, mind you), I copy the update file, then I try to get to the listing where 'root' is, it basically refreshes itself, which forces it to lose its copy, which does not allow me to copy it to the root.

I can't win for losing.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
@mtdawg169

Search the Circus thread or Google Peter Alphonso to get it off his website. And yes, it can, and most likely will fix your buggy problem -- but make sure you're not running an antivirus program or task killer on your Droid first.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm having trouble moving the update file to the root. Everytime I try to (I've used Astro AND File Manager, mind you), I copy the update file, then I try to get to the listing where 'root' is, it basically refreshes itself, which forces it to lose its copy, which does not allow me to copy it to the root.

I can't win for losing.
in Astro -- SD card "root" is option sdcard when you first load Astro.

jerroedr

Reaction score
Ok awesome. Seriously.

So what its the difference b/t rooting and what I have been doing (install 2.2 and flash)?

Flash installed perfect btw

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ok awesome. Seriously.

So what its the difference b/t rooting and what I have been doing (install 2.2 and flash)?
A lot.

Rooting gives you total control over your phone so you can overclock, uninstall bloatware, tether more easily/for free. It allows you in the more extreme forms to install kernels capable of pushing your phone to 1.25/1.3GHz, possibly at lower voltages at stock speed than the phone is running at now so you're using less juice to push the phone that fast, flash in themes and custom ROMs capable of awesome things and ultimate control over your phone!

It also voids your warranty and puts you at much greater risk of attack/malware/viruses. Verizon will not support a rooted phone, so you'd have to get it replaced via insurance and pay $80 or whatever to get a replacement. Also, it's possible to brick (though it's very unlikely to do so) your phone trying to root it. That'll be $600 replacement cost/$80 co-pay to the insurance company to get replaced.

Not my thread, so don't be offended by the name (if you were going to be).

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

mrgagentleman

Reaction score

I can't win for losing.

On mine 'root' has its own folder.

Edit: Didn't even need to use Astro. Booted into recovery mode and update.zip was right there.

2.2 is now on, but there is a slight problem. When I press the middle button to try to access my other apps, I get a blank black screen, w/ simply the home button showing. How do I fix this?

Edit again: Nvm. Fixed itself.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok awesome. Seriously.

Well, when you root you have a lot more freedom. You can install custom roms, you can overclock your Droid, you have a wealth of apps that you can get such as Root Explorer where you can delete those unwanted pushed apps, Cache mate for root that clears the cache of all your apps with one push of the button (or trashcan in this case). You can install different themes. It just makes your Droid a lot more accessible.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I can't win for losing.

On mine 'root' has its own folder.

When someone on here says put it in the root of.... THink of like on your computer. The root of c:\ is not c:\root\ it's just c:\ No folders, just... at the beginning.

As far as a file manager, I have just gotten so used to using root explorer that I just use it for everything. I am used to it's layout and it's functions.