OFFICIAL FRG22D OTA patch is here. DOWNLOAD NOW!

bhjazz

Reaction score
Anyone with the update having call troubles now? There are two conference rooms here at my office that I have made calls from for months with no issues. Suddenly now, the calls get dropped regularly. I'll go dig through the tech issues forum and see what's up.

oilstain

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in a weird position. I've installed sprecovery because I wanted to be able to make back ups, but so far haven't had any real desire to have access to root (i.e. su). The problem is, though, I am not able to get the OTA updates as sprecovery stops them. I was hoping to use this update as I'd really like to have flash. Here is what I managed to do after trying the OP file renamed as update.zip on /sdcard (root dir on my card)

Installing update...
assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" || file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys"

E:Error is /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I'm guessing that since this is a patch, I don't have the correct build. Maybe it's just not possible to use sprecovery to throw on a patch. I dunno.

1. Since I have sprecovery, what should I do to have a froyo os with flash stuff?

1a. Should I just do the MotoCache1 root?
1b. Is the file in step 5 "My "recovery only" SPRecovery SBF for the Droid 1." a file that will do what I'm looking for?

2. It is imperative that Touchdown continues working, so if anyone has any reason I should not pursue this any farther, please let me know.

BTW, nice forum, I've spent a lot of time reading here, learned lots!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum.

You can't apply this patch with a custom recovery image. Sorry. You could install a fully-rooted ROM and stuff.

Or you could just install the .apk manually.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/70926-official-flash-market.html

The final Flash build has been available for weeks and Flash in general has been available without root access for months. You'll find the .apk and the instructions in that link. Have fun!

nubby

Reaction score
I got the update this AM. All is well except Swype is broken again....and something maybe I never noticed before....but in astro, I can see all the internal system files of my phone....has that always been accessable and I never noticed? Maybe I never went further than my SD card I dunno LOL!

I do not have the update, but with Astro, I have been able to access the files 1up from the SD card.

oilstain

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.

You can't apply this patch with a custom recovery image. Sorry. You could install a fully-rooted ROM and stuff.

Or you could just install the .apk manually.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/70926-official-flash-market.html

The final Flash build has been available for weeks and Flash in general has been available without root access for months. You'll find the .apk and the instructions in that link. Have fun!

Oh, I must have misunderstood, I thought that flash would only work with 2.2, not 2.1.

I'll have to read more about it.

If you were to recommend a fully-rooted ROM and stuff, which one would you recommend?

Thanks, it's appreciated!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, I must have misunderstood, I thought that flash would only work with 2.2, not 2.1.

No, Flash will only work with 2.2.

There's a couple of levels of 2.2. FRG01B (48mb or 79mb) will allow you to use Flash, but you won't see it in the Market. You can, however, download Flash from several links on this site and install it manually.

FRG22D allows you to see and download Flash from the Market. That update (either OTA or on this thread) is only about 1.6mb.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My favorite ROM is CyanogenMod 6. More features than you can shake a really long stick at, but it's not "souped up" or "tricked out". It just offers more functionality than you'd believe, more options than you can believe, and more control than anyone outside an insane asylum really needs! ;)

I love it.

I'm sure if you look around, though, you'll find a ROM you like.

Yes. Flash only works under 2.2, but as AAF said, there are two levels of 2.2 available officially. If you're still under 2.1 you'll want to manually update to FRG01B ASAP.

HiTechRedNeck73

Reaction score
Visalia CA 0115 PST just got the message for OTA to FRG22D.

my phone had the FRG01B on it already, running EasyRoot from Market. I clicked the install not thinking about my root access... oops...

well, phone rebooted, updated, rebooted again and everything was good. verified my current version, FRG22D. then looked for root access.

looked for Superuser Ninja, still have it... check
launched it, still have permissions inside... check
looked for EasyRoot, still have it... check
launched EasyRoot, displayed "already rooted"... check
looked for Wireless Tether, still have it... check
launched Wireless Tether,"unable to start tethering"... oops...

re-ran EasyRoot rooting process, rebooted... same thing...

well, I did install flash and that looks cool... keep you guys posted if I fix it...

oilstain

Reaction score
My favorite ROM is CyanogenMod 6. More features than you can shake a really long stick at, but it's not "souped up" or "tricked out". It just offers more functionality than you'd believe, more options than you can believe, and more control than anyone outside an insane asylum really needs! ;)

I love it.

I'm sure if you look around, though, you'll find a ROM you like.

Yes. Flash only works under 2.2, but as AAF said, there are two levels of 2.2 available officially. If you're still under 2.1 you'll want to manually update to FRG01B ASAP.

Good thing these phones are Stupid-Resistant.

I found the stock 2.1 OS, renamed it update.zip, slapped it on using SPRecovery

Booted up just fine, can already see that it's not my old OS (drawer slider is replaced by a button) check out the About phone page, yup, updated.

I get a message saying that there is an update available, and I immediately think "ooh, I should take a back up now"

Reboot, holding x - huh, must have missed it.
Reboot, holding x - wait a minute...
Reboot, holding x - just what's going on here?

Oh, I must have blown away SPRecovery! Derp.

So, I went ahead and got the OTA FRG22D.

Now I guess I have to go through the process of getting SPRecovery installed again to make a back up.

Fun stuff!

Thanks again all.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
If you went all the way back to 2.1 and got 2.2 from there, check your cache for the file and post if it's there. People have been looking for that.

sent via subspace radio

oilstain

Reaction score
If you went all the way back to 2.1 and got 2.2 from there, check your cache for the file and post if it's there. People have been looking for that.

sent via subspace radio

What? no edit feature?

Sorry, I meant that I had found the stock 2.2 FRG01B full install. Not 2.1, 2.1 is where I started.

So the learning curve keeps on curving...
What I'm reading is that I cannot add SPRecovery to this non-root version I have, because something called FRS will continually wipe it out.

(I'm trying to go from Christim's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html and MotoCache1's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html documents)

I don't necessarily want to spend the time messing with roms and such, nor do I have any current need for su rights, I just want to be able to back up and restore this 'fairly' legit version of my OS.

PS, flash so far is pretty disappointing. Games run pretty poorly. Meh.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
What? no edit feature?

Sorry, I meant that I had found the stock 2.2 FRG01B full install. Not 2.1, 2.1 is where I started.

So the learning curve keeps on curving...
What I'm reading is that I cannot add SPRecovery to this non-root version I have, because something called FRS will continually wipe it out.

(I'm trying to go from Christim's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html and MotoCache1's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html documents)

I don't necessarily want to spend the time messing with roms and such, nor do I have any current need for su rights, I just want to be able to back up and restore this 'fairly' legit version of my OS.

PS, flash so far is pretty disappointing. Games run pretty poorly. Meh.
No editing in the "news" forum.

If you want to put on SPRecovery, but not root your OS, but disable FRS, you can do that like this:

1. Install ADB on your machine if you don't already have it.
  2. Flash on my SPRecovery SBF per the instructions.
  3. As per the instructions, after the SBF, boot into SPRecovery without booting the OS first.
  4. In SPRecovery, mount /system.
  5. ADB shell (you will be root because SPRecovery is always root).
  6. cd /system
  7. mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.p.not
  8. exit
  9. Reboot into OS
  10. Reboot into recovery and make sure SPRecovery is still there
You might have to do this command (to mount system read+write) between step 6 and 7 - I don't remember:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

Doing the above will not root your main OS, but you can still use the features of SPRecovery, and do some rootish things (like renaming recovery-from-boot.p) via SPRecovery.

If you want to simplify the above quite a bit, just take my update.zip that's in the rooting topic, and modify it so it only renames the recovery-from-boot.p file but doesn't copy the su files on or install busybox.

jameyhowell73

Reaction score
I manually updated to 2.2 about a month ago. Now verizon is sending me that same update I believe. Should I update or will that mess my phone up at all? James
--moto droid