Official bit the bullet and returned the Bionic for the Prime thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydro556

Reaction score
Calling it next gen was not what I should have said.

A better example of the coming generation is more appropriate.

Opening an ap a millisecond faster than the Bionic is nothing even close to what I said, and is literally meaningless to me.

What I want, if I drop the coin and waste my upgrade, is superior all around performance, cutting edge screen technology, good ergonomics, super intuitive OS/UI, etc.

Basically something that screams at me when I first use it that it is new technology, and blows me away with its screen resolution. Things like that.

The Bionic, while apparently packing the hardware to run things better than older model Android devices, lacked the wow factor I am hoping to see in my next smart phone. And then things like a clunky camera that takers poorer pictures than my year plus old Incredible leaves me feeling as if I would be totally wasting both my money and my upgrade only to see something come out in the next months that would leave my Bionic looking obsolete before it gets its first scratch.

There, I was trying to not bash the Bionic, but those are my true feelings. The Bionic just doesnt look and feel like a next gen device compared to the phone I have been using for the past year. I am banking on the fact that the Prime etc will.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^My joke wasn't directed at anyone, I was just throwing it out there! I personally got the "wow" from the Bionic. I still have my old phones to compare the B to and it's all that to me!

Droids

Reaction score
I'm thinking there are two reasons why people don't think of the Bionic as state of the art.

The pentile screen, while I don't have major issues with it, I have to admit it doesn't belong in a flagship device that costs $300 plus a 2 year contract. I think Moto blew it on that point.

2nd, again I don't have a huge issue with the camera, lowlight pics suck but daytime pics seem ok and mine focuses and clicks quickly, this is another area that Moto needs to improve in a big way for top of the line devices.

One thing that sealed the deal for me was Samsung not using LED notification lights, I really want that in my phone. Now it turns out that this new one will have it. For those that can hold out, I don't blame them. I was just at a point where I had to upgrade, and I really don't regret it but I doubt I will be able to go 2 whole years before upgrading again. It's going to be torture for a lot of people to go 2 years between upgrades anymore.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This post makes a great point. Soon the hardware should be able to get people through the two years. Hopefully!

I think its important for us to remember that more cores doesn't necessarily equal proportionally more processing speed. Interviews with chipset manufacturers (i believe the one I read was with Steve jobs but it was a while ago so I can't provide an exact source atm) have indicated that they're aware that theyre going to have a difficult time keeping up with the rates of improvement they've provided in the past. This is largely because despite the doubling of transistor counts every two years, software manufacturers don't know what to do with all these processors. He said they've done fairly well with two but with four they're pretty much clueless. Its hard to harness all of the processing power because if the computations exceed the capacity of the processors individual cache, it has to use the much slower general memory of the computer. Thus a bottleneck is created. As we all know, performance is only as good as the weakest link, which is often the algorithm running the hardware. Its cost prohibitive to spend so much time developing algorithms when hardware is advancing so fast. To produce much faster results, programs must be coded to use all cores simultaneously without redundancy. Parallel processing has its limits.

This may sound unrelated to the post but I think its actually central to our analysis of what is to come in terms of not just raw specs but in terms of actual performance increases. This is something Apple has always excelled at - optimization. In light of this, perhaps we can safely invest in a good dual core device without fear of falling far behind the curve.

As the OP pointed out, there's a trend toward marginal quarterly or biannual improvement. Maybe our recognizing that two cores well-optimized is better than four that aren't optimized will remind phone manufacturers that more transistors isn't enough. With twice as many cores we expect twice as much performance. Especially when retail phone pricing is approaching the price point of mid range laptops.

dudeitsmattx

Reaction score
So when is the prime coming out? Im all ready having problems with the Bionic. My screen keep selecting stuff on its own the whole time im on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

missrachel

Reaction score
Anyone able to return their Bionic after the 2 week return pd? I like this phone, but I don't love it. Had it for 4 weeks... and I want the NEXUS!!!

gtofan350

Reaction score
I'm still within the 2 week period til the 17th. I'm gonna wait til there's official details about the prime before I make a decision.

dudeitsmattx

Reaction score
Yeah that's why I wish they would just give a release date. My phone has a few glitches and I just got it on Thursday the 6th.

missrachel

Reaction score
Even the little we've heard about the Prime is enough for me to know I'd rather have it than my Bionic..... :/

I hate myself. LOL

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
So when is the prime coming out? Im all ready having problems with the Bionic. My screen keep selecting stuff on its own the whole time im on it.

Your phone may be self aware, does it say Cyberdyne Systems on it anywhere?! Destroy it!! lol

norcal1900

Reaction score
^Excellent choices! Now in the mean time, lets all head over to the Samsung Charge forums and start threads rip'n on that phone! Yea, you single core losers!!

Hahaha yessssss

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Goddesslisa

Reaction score
In getting back to hydro, yeah paragraphs and i have never really understood one another. LOL My post wasnt meant to scare anyone at all. the problems that i have had even though they might be big ones, still they havent happened that many times to me.

Tries to remember when to do a paragraph and when not to. LOL

I am thrilled that i have figured out how to use the video so that I can send it to my hubby who is in another city showing him how much the baby is kicking away. LOL (pregnant and he is in another city right now. LOL )

I am more or less a happy camper on mine. I have had crap phones compared that wont do as much as this one can, of course there is always going to be a "better" one out there, it happens with electronics.

With that said, I can really understand where you are coming from to each their own, so to say LOL

Utimately it all depends on what a person wants, and what bugs they are willing to put up with. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.