Bit the Bullet..

grnidkjun

Reaction score
OK since the S2 and Bionic are nowhere in sight yet and I'm pressed to add a new line this weekend, I've bit the bullet and ordered the X2.
It should be here tomorrow.

I've held out as long as I can for the other two units to arrive so I'll be using the X2, the new line will be put on my current phone.

And if/when the S2 ever arrives, I'll use the upgrade for it and give the motorola X2 to the newer line.

OK.. all that out of the way.. I've had winmo smart phones, this will be my first droid.
I don't plan to root this thing, at least not right away.
So what apps should I plan to get first to keep it running smoothest out of the box?

Thanks!

vvildcard

Reaction score
Depends on you you ask... Motorola will tell you installing extra stuff is not necessary... Some folks will tell you it won't run smooth without rooting it and tweaking every last setting... Some people think task managers help... And some will encourage you to use custom launchers and other performance apps...

You will get 10 different opinions if you ask 10 different people.

If you're dead-set against rooting, my recommendation is to use it as is... and if you find you want to do something specific that isn't built-in, do some Google/Market searches and find an app that's getting good reviews.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Depends on you you ask... Motorola will tell you installing extra stuff is not necessary... Some folks will tell you it won't run smooth without rooting it and tweaking every last setting... Some people think task managers help... And some will encourage you to use custom launchers and other performance apps...

You will get 10 different opinions if you ask 10 different people.

If you're dead-set against rooting, my recommendation is to use it as is... and if you find you want to do something specific that isn't built-in, do some Google/Market searches and find an app that's getting good reviews.

^ But I would get a customer launcher at least.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Launcher pro will make it alot better than MotoCRAP (BLUR)

sent from my ApeX

xgrinder911

Reaction score
Buuuuut unfortunately mtoblur still runs even if you have another launcher/:

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

nateohio

Reaction score
I've been running mine stock since I got it. It works for me until the devs get on this thing.

Sent from my DROID X2

Insidious

Reaction score
I haven't even noticed much lag at all on the new blur. I think it Looks kind of cool

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

hobby31

Reaction score
Welcome to Android! As the above posters pointed out, the possibilities are endless. Truthfully, out of the box...I can't think of an app to keep it running smooth without rooting it. I'm in the camp that believes task managers are pointless in Linux and can cause more problems than they fix. Other than that just keep looking in this forum. I've had almost every question or problem I had solved or at least addressed by someone here. Android people are the best! Welcome aboard!

OP
G

grnidkjun

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It just arrived and it's on the charger now.
I'm quite surprised that the usb and hdmi ports are open without a cover.

I've never had a phone where the charging ports didn't have some sort of "door" over them.

Do any of you have issues with that?

Any recommended task killers? I've always read those are essential.

p1ngputts

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It just arrived and it's on the charger now.
I'm quite surprised that the usb and hdmi ports are open without a cover.

I've never had a phone where the charging ports didn't have some sort of "door" over them.

Do any of you have issues with that?

Any recommended task killers? I've always read those are essential.

My .02, you don't need a task killer. Your phone comes with a task manager, just put things that you would want auto ended once your done using into that. That's what I do. Seems to be legit.

OP
G

grnidkjun

Reaction score
Thank you.. I did find that and was wondering why people don't seem to use it much.

OK.. one very basic question... how do I set individual ring tones for people and can I use mp3 ring tones from my datacard?

I haven't figured that one out yet.

vvildcard

Reaction score
Thank you.. I did find that and was wondering why people don't seem to use it much.

OK.. one very basic question... how do I set individual ring tones for people and can I use mp3 ring tones from my datacard?

I haven't figured that one out yet.

There are lots of apps in the Market that can do that (for free). You may have to install a custom SMS app to do the custom ringtones... I've never once use the stock one, so I don't know if it supports that. Some common (and good) SMS apps are GO SMS and Handcent.

OP
G

grnidkjun

Reaction score
I found where to apply custom ring tones, just have to figure out how to get my mp3 ones into the list. I'm sure there is a folder somewhere I have to copy them to

mgault

Reaction score
Forgive the noobishness here but where is the task killer u are talking about

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
G

grnidkjun

Reaction score
I found where to load my tones. I had to copy them into two folders. Notifications for txt tones and ringtones for calls.

The task manager is what is native on the phone for your task killer