Official bit the bullet and returned the Bionic for the Prime thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by alucard9114, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydro556

hydro556 New Member

I wouldnt say I am an expert with the Bionic's camera, but I would say that when I take my time and frame a good shot, that the camera is inferior to the one on my HTC Incredible. The shots come out very grainy, even in decent lighting. I would consider the camera mediocre at best, especially given the asking price of the Bionic.

Overall, I like the Bionic fairly well, but it doesnt feel nearly as polished as I expected for the price they want for it.

And I agree with you guys that it is easy to get caught up in the "grass is always greener" syndrome when dealing with modern Smartphone technology. My thought in this particular instance is that there are apparently several devices expected to be released in the next quarter that are going to be basically 1/2 to 1 generation ahead of the Bionic.

My thoughts, after using the Bionic for 10 days or so, are that I would rather get in on the front end of the coming batch, as opposed to the tail end of this one.

If the Bionic had blown me away, I would have just kept it until my next upgrade. And dealt with any apparent deficiencies relative to the Vigor/Prime etc batch of phones that are coming in the next 60-90 days. But, it didnt blow me away. It was pretty decent.

The call quality was about the same as my Incredible.
    The reception was identical (there is a weak area about 5 miles north of where I work, and I was hoping the Bionic might somehow be superior, but it was identical)
    Build quality of the phone, from my short trial, is excellent, I'd say a notch above my HTC Incredible. (which I think is very good)
    Overall speed of the phone, seems identical. I am no expert, but I thought somehow the Dual core would make an appreciable difference. If it did, it was not something I could distinguish, short of quadrant score, where it is far superior to my Inc. Just not something I could tell.
    Screen quality is a pro/con deal. The incredible (Amoled) has better colors and just a richer picture. But the Bionic, despite a lot of gripes from others, has a really good screen with a lot of upside. Yes, I can see some "pixelation" when reading text, but it isnt that big a deal. The biggest upside is viewing the screen outside. It is easily viewed in BRIGHT, direct sunlight. This is a big deal to a lot of people, including me. Overall, I would say the Incredible has a better screen when viewed in most circumstances, but outside it is no contest.

That is my basic review of the Bionic. After owning it a week and a half or so, I think it is a good phone with good specs. But, given some of the phones in the pipeline that appear to be coming out in the next month or two, I dont want to get stuck with it and regret not spending the same money for an appreciably better device.

If I had any serious issues with my Incredible and needed a new phone now, I'd likely keep the Bionic. My Incredible is still good to go, and a damn good phone (my favorite yet overall) so I am going to keep using it and see what evolves.
  2. Goddesslisa

Goddesslisa New Member

I have been through my share of different phones, in my heart I am a Motorola girl. I have had an iphone 3, it was horrible. I got to the point of wanting to destroy it. Also Apple being apple is so proprietary drove me NUTS!!! I went back to Motorola, it was the Bravo, yes I was an At&T girl LOL. I have been following the Bionic since I first accidently heard about it in Jan. The ups, the downs, the breath holding, the waiting, the drooling, the wanting, the needing, the yearning for it. I think most people know what I am talking about if they are like me on it. Yes I do have one! Do I love it, OMG its the best thing since sliced bread LOL. Now with that being said, have I had issues that piss me off about it. YES!!!!!!!! The occasional shut down, the unresponsiveness, the battery pull to get it to work, the missed txts and calls because of it being unresponsive, the shaking of the icons on the screens and moving screens. As far as problems, my bravo never had a single issue for me. Am I willing to wait and move to another phone. NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Is motorola fixing the issues.. YES!!!!! Is there a kinda long wait time for the fix, yes there is. But i would rather have one good fix then a quick do something over and over again. Will everything be fixed right away, prob not. Am I ok with that.. YES! As far as the camera goes, is it the best, more than likely NOT. However for a girl like me, never had a camera with a flash at all, never had a front facing camera. This is wonderful, do I have problems with it. Yes only because I have never had the chance to work with a good camera, I am realizing how to use it and getting better at it. Does it sometimes look grainy YES. Look peeps my whole point is, there will always be better out there. Everyone is different at what they want. Some people are addicted to trying phones out then taking them back over and over. Some people are more patience and willing to wait for the right fixes to come out. America is a fast pace society, so more often then not people are not patience at all. Is there ever going to be a perfect phone out there.. NO they will all have a fix or more with them. People are going to like it or hate it, just a fact of life. Kinda like being bought a sweater for Christmas, you either like or hate it. LOL Those that don't have a bionic, don't be dissing it you have no right. That in my mind is kinda like the people that don't vote for a president there for have nothing to say good or bad about whoever is running the office.... Any ways my silly rant is over, just expressing my opinion.
  3. hydro556

hydro556 New Member

Lisa- I had a tough time reading that due to lack of paragraphs, lol.

That said, you are way more patient than I and your Wall Of Text actually would scare the hell out of me if I were considering the Bionic. And personally, if I had 1/3rd the problems you listed I would be screaming at someone (and I dont scream at people) and getting out of the Bionic altogether. That is just scary.

Mine wasnt giving me problems, it was functioning fine. It just didnt strike me as the cutting edge phone that I wanted to lock into for 24 months. It was perfectly functional and seemed to be built very well.

I am going to save my upgrade for something a little more on the bleeding edge (and possibly with the inherent issues of such) and see what drops in the next couple months.

Good luck getting your issues resolved.
  4. GBH2

GBH2 New Member

I keep seeing this "theme" that somehow the Prime or Vigor, etc. are somehow "next generation" devices from the Bionic - that is simply ridiculous. They are ARM Cortex A9 SoC designs, just as the Bionic is. Bionic is the first of it's generation on Verizon - a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 with LTE. The Prime et al. are same generation Soc designs with a slight bump in clock speed.

Will the Prime and other phones coming out in the next 3 to 6 months be an improvement over the Bionic? probably, at least in some ways - just as the phones coming out 3 to 6 months after those phones will probably be an improvement over them.

The Bionic is a solid phone, I don't know of any phone that is perfect, it certainly has a few bugs that need to be fixed but this happens all the time as everyone who is an "early adopters" surely knows.

The next generation of smartphones will be running dual and Quad core ARM Cortex A15 reference designs with 28nm manufacturing technology.

I am sure the Prime and other phones in the pipeline will be good phones - but to call them "next generation" is delusional.
  5. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

^Good points but I would really like Angry Birds to open .000000065 of a second faster than the Bionic can do it ;)
  6. hydro556

hydro556 New Member

Calling it next gen was not what I should have said.

A better example of the coming generation is more appropriate.

Opening an ap a millisecond faster than the Bionic is nothing even close to what I said, and is literally meaningless to me.

What I want, if I drop the coin and waste my upgrade, is superior all around performance, cutting edge screen technology, good ergonomics, super intuitive OS/UI, etc.

Basically something that screams at me when I first use it that it is new technology, and blows me away with its screen resolution. Things like that.

The Bionic, while apparently packing the hardware to run things better than older model Android devices, lacked the wow factor I am hoping to see in my next smart phone. And then things like a clunky camera that takers poorer pictures than my year plus old Incredible leaves me feeling as if I would be totally wasting both my money and my upgrade only to see something come out in the next months that would leave my Bionic looking obsolete before it gets its first scratch.

There, I was trying to not bash the Bionic, but those are my true feelings. The Bionic just doesnt look and feel like a next gen device compared to the phone I have been using for the past year. I am banking on the fact that the Prime etc will.
  7. tgyberg

^My joke wasn't directed at anyone, I was just throwing it out there! I personally got the "wow" from the Bionic. I still have my old phones to compare the B to and it's all that to me!
  8. Droids

Droids New Member

I'm thinking there are two reasons why people don't think of the Bionic as state of the art.

The pentile screen, while I don't have major issues with it, I have to admit it doesn't belong in a flagship device that costs $300 plus a 2 year contract. I think Moto blew it on that point.

2nd, again I don't have a huge issue with the camera, lowlight pics suck but daytime pics seem ok and mine focuses and clicks quickly, this is another area that Moto needs to improve in a big way for top of the line devices.

One thing that sealed the deal for me was Samsung not using LED notification lights, I really want that in my phone. Now it turns out that this new one will have it. For those that can hold out, I don't blame them. I was just at a point where I had to upgrade, and I really don't regret it but I doubt I will be able to go 2 whole years before upgrading again. It's going to be torture for a lot of people to go 2 years between upgrades anymore.
  9. tgyberg

This post makes a great point. Soon the hardware should be able to get people through the two years. Hopefully!

I think its important for us to remember that more cores doesn't necessarily equal proportionally more processing speed. Interviews with chipset manufacturers (i believe the one I read was with Steve jobs but it was a while ago so I can't provide an exact source atm) have indicated that they're aware that theyre going to have a difficult time keeping up with the rates of improvement they've provided in the past. This is largely because despite the doubling of transistor counts every two years, software manufacturers don't know what to do with all these processors. He said they've done fairly well with two but with four they're pretty much clueless. Its hard to harness all of the processing power because if the computations exceed the capacity of the processors individual cache, it has to use the much slower general memory of the computer. Thus a bottleneck is created. As we all know, performance is only as good as the weakest link, which is often the algorithm running the hardware. Its cost prohibitive to spend so much time developing algorithms when hardware is advancing so fast. To produce much faster results, programs must be coded to use all cores simultaneously without redundancy. Parallel processing has its limits.

This may sound unrelated to the post but I think its actually central to our analysis of what is to come in terms of not just raw specs but in terms of actual performance increases. This is something Apple has always excelled at - optimization. In light of this, perhaps we can safely invest in a good dual core device without fear of falling far behind the curve.

As the OP pointed out, there's a trend toward marginal quarterly or biannual improvement. Maybe our recognizing that two cores well-optimized is better than four that aren't optimized will remind phone manufacturers that more transistors isn't enough. With twice as many cores we expect twice as much performance. Especially when retail phone pricing is approaching the price point of mid range laptops.
  10. dudeitsmattx

dudeitsmattx New Member

So when is the prime coming out? Im all ready having problems with the Bionic. My screen keep selecting stuff on its own the whole time im on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  11. missrachel

missrachel New Member

Anyone able to return their Bionic after the 2 week return pd? I like this phone, but I don't love it. Had it for 4 weeks... and I want the NEXUS!!!

12. gtofan350

gtofan350 New Member

I'm still within the 2 week period til the 17th. I'm gonna wait til there's official details about the prime before I make a decision.
  13. dudeitsmattx

dudeitsmattx New Member

Yeah that's why I wish they would just give a release date. My phone has a few glitches and I just got it on Thursday the 6th.

14. gtofan350

gtofan350 New Member

I will have no problem keeping this phone but I'd like to know my options.
  15. missrachel

missrachel New Member

Even the little we've heard about the Prime is enough for me to know I'd rather have it than my Bionic..... :/

I hate myself. LOL

16. tgyberg

Your phone may be self aware, does it say Cyberdyne Systems on it anywhere?! Destroy it!! lol
  17. norcal1900

norcal1900 New Member

Hahaha yessssss

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  18. Goddesslisa

Goddesslisa New Member

In getting back to hydro, yeah paragraphs and i have never really understood one another. LOL My post wasnt meant to scare anyone at all. the problems that i have had even though they might be big ones, still they havent happened that many times to me.

Tries to remember when to do a paragraph and when not to. LOL

I am thrilled that i have figured out how to use the video so that I can send it to my hubby who is in another city showing him how much the baby is kicking away. LOL (pregnant and he is in another city right now. LOL )

I am more or less a happy camper on mine. I have had crap phones compared that wont do as much as this one can, of course there is always going to be a "better" one out there, it happens with electronics.

With that said, I can really understand where you are coming from to each their own, so to say LOL

Utimately it all depends on what a person wants, and what bugs they are willing to put up with. :)
  19. tgyberg

^Your post was a rant. I think we can bend the paragraph rules for rants! :)
  20. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

4.6 inches is too big

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.