"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by jkaod, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Zregnier

Zregnier Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Been out of town with my Bionic for a few days on 3G only and my battery life seems the same as with 4G at home. What gives? Shouldn't 3G use way less? I have LTE turned off. Cell standby is still #1 usage!

2. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Guess 4g isn't as taxing on this phone unlike others or the 3g is too taxing either way I won't be one to complain for a 4g phone that I have 4g on always is great

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

3. revelated

revelated Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Battery impact of 3G/4G does depend on signal strength and coverage in whatever area you're in. There is definitely more battery impact when you're in a low signal area vs. a strong signal area. May be that the radio is fighting hard to stay connected in low signal areas. Thunderbolt did the same thing but to more extreme.

4. hondabomdc5

hondabomdc5 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wish I could get decent battery life. I have my extended battery in and im in 4g. Have data saver on, battery set to performance mode, wifi, gps, bluetooth are all off. I have played a game for like 15 min. Checked facebook a few times. Watched a 4 min youtube video, and talked for like 20 min and my battery is down to 40% and its been on the charger for 6.5 hrs. Seems like the extended battery should be doing way better than that. That's pretty sucky in my opinion

5. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I get over 8hrs daily on my heavy use which is about the same... fb ..games.. internet... and 4g all the time

6. macpro88

macpro88 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Anyone who is interested in an extended battery they are half off if you go into the VZW store. Mine didn't have any in stock but they ship it for free via 2 day, and still half off. Rep said sale ends end of October.

--Beamed from DROID BIONIC--

7. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Member

Ratings:
    +0

I recently saw my battery life shorten quite a bit. (both on standard and Extended battery) It would last 6 hours even with light use. I have had similar issues with my Droid 1. I have always traced it back to an app or apps keeping the phone active. (i also found under-clocked kernels did the same battery drain on the D1).
    I reset my Bionic 2 days again and only set up one email to start at a time. Gmail, Exchange and then Hotmail with exchange settings. ( i changed these to check every 30 min this morning). this morning at 7am in had been unplugged for 15 hours and was at 66% and i did use it lightly last night.
    IME the data saver only saves a little battery but either the social apps or i was thinking the ad-ware apps are keeping the data alive and draining the battery. the social location was often active before but i am not sure what app was making it kick in. Facebook? Skype? I haven't set up any as of yet but the batter is doing ok now.
    So my suggestion is reset and put only what you really need on and after the battery holds add one app at a time and watch it for a day.
    .Anyone have a better solution? i would love to know it!

8. txrover

txrover Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My extended battery lasts a good 14 hrs+ under my normal use (lots of email/web/non-streamed music). 100% to 40% in about an hour is way off.

9. revelated

revelated Member

Ratings:
    +5
    So, an update.

I found a hidden sync setting which I disabled. It caused my phone to get the legendary battery life I stated before. Re-enabling this setting put me down to a happy medium, which for my normal use is 24 hours on average. That's well more than enough.

4G does drain the battery a good amount BUT it depends on what's going on. For example, Touchdown on push is going to hurt the battery. Touchdown every 5 minute polling seems to be quite reasonable. I use no social networking apps on this phone, so I'm good there. Some apps will absolutely bring the battery to its knees, like that notorious Blockbuster app.

I actually bought the extended battery but I simply don't ever use it. The standard battery lasting 24 hours is just unheard of, and from what I'm hearing from colleagues, even the iPhone 4S struggles to meet that from time to time. I'm actually trying to get this rather gorgeous one to come back to the Droid family after she defected to iPhone (Peer pressure), and the Bionic just might accomplish the mission.

10. mikeruoc

mikeruoc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What and where is this hidden setting??

11. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    And this setting is...?

12. chiefvelo

chiefvelo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did not open the blockbuster app since i reset and did turn off the "Push" settings for email accounts. I at 90% after over 5hrs of light use. surfing and reinstalled two apps this morning. I had over 60% left after more than 14 hrs yesterday with occasional light use on 3g and wifi.

There are battery killing apps and wish it was easier to identify them!

Search tags for this page
battery life droid bionic
bionic battery

bionic battery life

droid bionic battery life

how to improve battery life on droid bionic
how to improve droid bionic battery life
motorola bionic battery
motorola bionic battery life
motorola droid bionic battery issues
motorola droid bionic battery life