Battery life issue after official ICS

nri1998

Reaction score
Before the ICS update on Monday, my phone (on GB) never had problems with batter life. Last two days, it is terrible. I checked background running programs and everything seems to be fine. The batter is draining pretty fast. Not used much except few quick calls and browsing for not more than 15 minutes and the battery came down to 20% by late noon. Earlier, with the same usage my phone battery used to last until 2 or 3 AM the following day. Anyone having the same problem after official ICS update?

Will it help if I buy an extended battery? Please advice.

cool318

Reaction score
It takes a few days for it to kick in.

I got ICS sunday and my battery is just now starting to get better.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
It takes a few days for it to kick in.

I got ICS sunday and my battery is just now starting to get better.

What's your opinion on getting extended battery? Any major difference compared to a standard battery?

Also, voice calls shows 80% usage.

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Reaction score
What's your opinion on getting extended battery? Any major difference compared to a standard battery?

Also, voice calls shows 80% usage.

I'm having major problems with battery life as well. The extended battery definitely helps, but it's bulky and weighty.

intmd8r

Reaction score
I am also noticing a significant decrease in battery life, but I'm going to give it until next week until I consider possibly doing an FDR (I really don't want to). I was down to 40% this morning after only 3 1/2 hours and on .905 I was getting a good 12-13 hours out of the battery before I would need to charge it.

I generally try not to charge my battery "between charges" (that is, I try not to charge it until it's almost dead and then I try to leave it there until it's charged again), but I've been having to charge it during the day since the update, which leads to me either using it while it's on the charger or a lot of pulling it off and putting it back on - don't know if this might be exasperating the problem even more or not.

Android OS and Screen are my top two, so everything seems ok (and I've either uninstalled or disabled all the bloat), just draining faster... :blink:

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
I am not sure at this point that the battery life will improve after ICS settles in for few days. It is already 4 days on ICS and I tried every possible setting and stopped unnecessary apps but the battery life is looking terrible. After waking up with a full charge this morning, I had four voice calls lasting not more than 3 minutes and browsing the net for 8 minutes and the battery is showing 50% already by 11:30 AM. I already did the system cache clean and FDR 48 hrs. back. It is really pissing me off that Motorola delayed it so long to fix the glitches and they cannot take care of the battery life issue, which is a basic necessity for a mobile phone??

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The extended battery definitely helps, but it's bulky and weighty.

The OEM extended battery adds 1/8" to the thickness and 1 oz to the weight. I feel it's worth it, but it does cause a problem if you want to put a case on.

There are 3 other extended batteries made by Mugen and Seidio. One of the Mugen will fit in the original area (with the original door), but it doesn't add much. The other two are much larger and heaver.

Last edited:

Kobe24

Reaction score
nri1998 said:
I am not sure at this point that the battery life will improve after ICS settles in for few days. It is already 4 days on ICS and I tried every possible setting and stopped unnecessary apps but the battery life is looking terrible. After waking up with a full charge this morning, I had four voice calls lasting not more than 3 minutes and browsing the net for 8 minutes and the battery is showing 50% already by 11:30 AM. I already did the system cache clean and FDR 48 hrs. back. It is really pissing me off that Motorola delayed it so long to fix the glitches and they cannot take care of the battery life issue, which is a basic necessity for a mobile phone??

Do you have another battery? Do you use 4G only & no WiFi?

Nezdude87

Reaction score
That's what I'm getting with the extended battery. Fairly heavy use, and I'm on my 4th day or so with ICS. GB was better so far, but I've done nothing at all to conserve battery life either. It is getting better and better with each day, though.

I'm also overclocked at 1.35ghz and 1370 mv. My phone didn't get the 200mhz bump when i updated.

Last edited:

rpainter4

Reaction score
Issue here as well

Since the ICS update I have noticed periods of accelerated battery drain. The accelerated drain is associated with the handset getting very warm even when it has been sitting idle for an extended period. The battery stats show Android OS and Screen as the top two items, but I don't think that is unusual. I've just installed BetterBatteryStats to see if it can provide any additional info. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.
Has anyone else experiencing the accelerated drain noticing the handset heating up while idle?

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
Do you have another battery? Do you use 4G only & no WiFi?

I don't use wi-fi much. May be once or twice in the last one year. I don't have another battery but thinking of buying extended battery. Some folks say it will be more weight and putting a case (cover) could be a problem. So, I am not sure what to do but this isn't working for me. I am happy with ICS upgrade except the battery life issue.

intmd8r

Reaction score
Since the ICS update I have noticed periods of accelerated battery drain. The accelerated drain is associated with the handset getting very warm even when it has been sitting idle for an extended period. The battery stats show Android OS and Screen as the top two items, but I don't think that is unusual. I've just installed BetterBatteryStats to see if it can provide any additional info. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.
Has anyone else experiencing the accelerated drain noticing the handset heating up while idle?
Actually, yes, now that you say it, I mentioned it to the hubby yesterday that the phone was really warm and I wasn't even using it other than for a few texts and to check email. Generally, the only time in the past that it would get real hot like that was when I was using navigation.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
My phone feels little warm in the back even when I am not using it.

Kobe24

Reaction score
nri1998 said:
I don't use wi-fi much. May be once or twice in the last one year. I don't have another battery but thinking of buying extended battery. Some folks say it will be more weight and putting a case (cover) could be a problem. So, I am not sure what to do but this isn't working for me. I am happy with ICS upgrade except the battery life issue.

Well, 4G is known to be a HUGE battery killer. The extended battery does add some weight and getting a case can be a problem but its very much worth it.

shootingdoc1

Reaction score
Several things e.g. music & videos do not immediately show up when downloaded (next day they are there. Battery life sucked for 48 hrs now can go 18 hrs with 50-60% charge left, use phone for calls, texts, lots of emails, mostly on wifi. Be patient! Extended battery has been mandatory on GB, now a luxury.