Battery life issue after official ICS

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by nri1998, Oct 25, 2012.

1. nri1998

nri1998 New Member

Before the ICS update on Monday, my phone (on GB) never had problems with batter life. Last two days, it is terrible. I checked background running programs and everything seems to be fine. The batter is draining pretty fast. Not used much except few quick calls and browsing for not more than 15 minutes and the battery came down to 20% by late noon. Earlier, with the same usage my phone battery used to last until 2 or 3 AM the following day. Anyone having the same problem after official ICS update?

Will it help if I buy an extended battery? Please advice.
  2. cool318

cool318 New Member

It takes a few days for it to kick in.

I got ICS sunday and my battery is just now starting to get better.
  3. nri1998

nri1998 New Member

What's your opinion on getting extended battery? Any major difference compared to a standard battery?

Also, voice calls shows 80% usage.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. jstwondrng

jstwondrng New Member

I'm having major problems with battery life as well. The extended battery definitely helps, but it's bulky and weighty.
  5. intmd8r

intmd8r New Member

I am also noticing a significant decrease in battery life, but I'm going to give it until next week until I consider possibly doing an FDR (I really don't want to). I was down to 40% this morning after only 3 1/2 hours and on .905 I was getting a good 12-13 hours out of the battery before I would need to charge it.

I generally try not to charge my battery "between charges" (that is, I try not to charge it until it's almost dead and then I try to leave it there until it's charged again), but I've been having to charge it during the day since the update, which leads to me either using it while it's on the charger or a lot of pulling it off and putting it back on - don't know if this might be exasperating the problem even more or not.

Android OS and Screen are my top two, so everything seems ok (and I've either uninstalled or disabled all the bloat), just draining faster... :blink:
  6. nri1998

nri1998 New Member

I am not sure at this point that the battery life will improve after ICS settles in for few days. It is already 4 days on ICS and I tried every possible setting and stopped unnecessary apps but the battery life is looking terrible. After waking up with a full charge this morning, I had four voice calls lasting not more than 3 minutes and browsing the net for 8 minutes and the battery is showing 50% already by 11:30 AM. I already did the system cache clean and FDR 48 hrs. back. It is really pissing me off that Motorola delayed it so long to fix the glitches and they cannot take care of the battery life issue, which is a basic necessity for a mobile phone??
  7. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

The OEM extended battery adds 1/8" to the thickness and 1 oz to the weight. I feel it's worth it, but it does cause a problem if you want to put a case on.

There are 3 other extended batteries made by Mugen and Seidio. One of the Mugen will fit in the original area (with the original door), but it doesn't add much. The other two are much larger and heaver.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  8. Kobe24

Kobe24 New Member

Do you have another battery? Do you use 4G only & no WiFi?
  9. Nezdude87

Nezdude87 New Member

That's what I'm getting with the extended battery. Fairly heavy use, and I'm on my 4th day or so with ICS. GB was better so far, but I've done nothing at all to conserve battery life either. It is getting better and better with each day, though.

I'm also overclocked at 1.35ghz and 1370 mv. My phone didn't get the 200mhz bump when i updated.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  10. rpainter4

rpainter4 New Member

Issue here as well

Since the ICS update I have noticed periods of accelerated battery drain. The accelerated drain is associated with the handset getting very warm even when it has been sitting idle for an extended period. The battery stats show Android OS and Screen as the top two items, but I don't think that is unusual. I've just installed BetterBatteryStats to see if it can provide any additional info. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.
    Has anyone else experiencing the accelerated drain noticing the handset heating up while idle?
  11. nri1998

nri1998 New Member

I don't use wi-fi much. May be once or twice in the last one year. I don't have another battery but thinking of buying extended battery. Some folks say it will be more weight and putting a case (cover) could be a problem. So, I am not sure what to do but this isn't working for me. I am happy with ICS upgrade except the battery life issue.
  12. intmd8r

intmd8r New Member

Actually, yes, now that you say it, I mentioned it to the hubby yesterday that the phone was really warm and I wasn't even using it other than for a few texts and to check email. Generally, the only time in the past that it would get real hot like that was when I was using navigation.
  13. nri1998

nri1998 New Member

My phone feels little warm in the back even when I am not using it.
  14. Kobe24

Kobe24 New Member

Well, 4G is known to be a HUGE battery killer. The extended battery does add some weight and getting a case can be a problem but its very much worth it.
  15. shootingdoc1

shootingdoc1 New Member

Several things e.g. music & videos do not immediately show up when downloaded (next day they are there. Battery life sucked for 48 hrs now can go 18 hrs with 50-60% charge left, use phone for calls, texts, lots of emails, mostly on wifi. Be patient! Extended battery has been mandatory on GB, now a luxury.
  16. intmd8r

intmd8r New Member

Of course, as soon as I start actually posting that my battery life has gotten progressively worse, not better, since the update, now this afternoon it's been great. It hit 40% after about 3 1/2 hours this morning, at which point I changed the animation scales to .5 (really did seem to speed it up), turned wifi back on, wiped the cache in recovery and then threw it back on the charger and used it very sparingly until it was fully charged again. 2 hours and 12 minutes in and it's still 90% and I've been texting quite a bit.

Don't know what changed, but it sure seems to be significantly better now! :biggrin:
  17. tech_head

tech_head Member

My wife's is seeing bad battery life after the update on Wed.
    I cleared te cache after the update.
    Haven't talked to her after she left for work to ask about the battery.
  18. dannyxiii

dannyxiii New Member

Hey guys!
    Well I too have noticed that battery life isn't as good as it was when I had GB. It still is however pretty good. I can get around 10-14 hours on an extended battery.
    About my phone: I installed ICS ota and backed up all my data on my computer then did a factory reset along with clearing the cache. I also use the smart actions that are displayed in the pictures. One is when I'm at home with my wifi, and the other I use when i know I'm not going to be needing my phone for a long time. (In class for example)
    I also close the apps as they start accumulating throughout the day. (Holding home button and swiping the apps to close them)

Hope this helps! :)
  19. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Disabled some bloat, did a couple of Smart Actions, been running 8 hours with extended battery, now at 76%. Seems to be stabilizing some after a couple of days

Sent via Bionic ICS Mind-Meld Option
  20. niteperson

niteperson New Member

My wife's Bionic is chewing through battery because she used to keep it on 3G no matter what, and not an option. It 4G or wifi.
Search tags for this page
android bionic battery life
battery life bionic ics
battery life droid bionic
battery life on droid bionic
bionic battery drain ics
bionic battery life
droid bionic battery
droid bionic battery issues

droid bionic battery life

droid bionic battery life after update
droid bionic battery problems