OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation Guide Droid Razr & Razr Maxx

JDunc

Reaction score
My lack of success so far: Fastboot back to stock. Take the 3 OTAs then attempt installing. Installing went well and then error (0). I was stuck on the Motorola screen and did the Matt Utility option 1. Now I reboot to recovery and it's different (I assume ICS recovery). I wipe on.ce try install it verifies it, then starts to install but immediately gets error (7). I reboot and try to get to recovery again but it seems to just put me in AP Fastboot Flash mode every time I try again. So, I'm doing Matt's utility again. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I guess the newer recovery is a good sign, I just wish I could get it to install all the way.

Immediately after going to Recovery from Matt's Utility I guess these errors:

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command qe 0/1
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/caller
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

Last edited:

Scott0719

Reaction score
Just clearing it once will be fine, then just install. Updating to ICS this way wont delete apps or any info.

Just clearing what? The cache? If it doesn't work when exactly should I start the second try? If I don't get past the red M or before that?

Revans310

Reaction score
Yep soft bricked can anyone help...Thanks

It's stuck at the Dual Core screen

Bornatiger

Reaction score
No, check the market for VooDoo Root Keeper, since you have root, save it with that app. Once saved click "Temp. unroot" and you won't be rooted anymore. Once you're on ICS open the app back up and click "root" and will restore root with no problems. PLEASE make sure you uninstall safestrap or bootstrap if you currently have it, and i don't mean just uninstall the app, go into the app and uninstall Boot/Safestrap, THEN uninstall the app.
Thanks, rda. I Safestrap is gone (the way you mentioned). I already have VRK, I didn't realize it was that easy to unroot. Thanks for the info and help.

Droid800

Reaction score
while doing the install of the update, did anyone else notice a line that reads -

Deleting facebook cache folder ...

Yep. I also noticed that when I went to go into the Facebook app after the update, I had to log-in again. It looks like the update just severed all the connections that facebook had with Blur, and reset the app in the process.

Droid800

Reaction score
Just clearing what? The cache? If it doesn't work when exactly should I start the second try? If I don't get past the red M or before that?

If it fails the first time, it will send you back to the install from SD screen. From there, hit reboot. As SOON as you do that, hold Volume up/Down and the on/off switch, all at the same time. It will boot back into recovery. Then clear cache again, and install. It should take half the time and successfully install the OTA.

bjmoore30

Reaction score
Yep. I also noticed that when I went to go into the Facebook app after the update, I had to log-in again. It looks like the update just severed all the connections that facebook had with Blur, and reset the app in the process.

I wouldn't know. I'm soft bricked and low battery. I just want my ICS :-( I even went out and bought a box of ice cream sandwiches last night to celebrate the arrival of this update. I've now switched to beer and cigarettes to manage my ire. I haven't figured out what will calm my wife yet though :-(

refuse2bstopped

Reaction score
Finally!!!

I finally gave in and endured the 45 minute long download time for the Utility and ran it, then I booted my phone up into GB, then did a power down and boot into bootloader to flash from sd and it went through without a problem, except it was glitchy and I couldn't get into anything but the phones settings. Couldn't get the home screen or anything, so I did a soft reboot via the holding of the power and volume down buttons for 10 seconds and this time it booted up and welcomed me to my desert!!! To bad it's not time for work, so i'll have to wait before I play around with the new features, but the HARDEST part is out of the way now at least.

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
JDunc said:
My lack of success so far: Fastboot back to stock. Take the 3 OTAs then attempt installing. Installing went well and then error (0). I was stuck on the Motorola screen and did the Matt Utility option 1. Now I reboot to recovery and it's different (I assume ICS recovery). I wipe on.ce try install it verifies it, then starts to install but immediately gets error (7). I reboot and try to get to recovery again but it seems to just put me in AP Fastboot Flash mode every time I try again. So, I'm doing Matt's utility again. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? I guess the newer recovery is a good sign, I just wish I could get it to install all the way.

After the first fail, you should of done the update again, THEN if it failed, Matts utility.

Scott0719 said:

Yup the cache, and once you get an error code restart back into recovery immediately (that's if it fails), if it fails a third i would try once more, it won't hurt. Some have gotten it in their 3rd try. If 3rd fails then AP Fastboot

Revans310 said:
Yep soft bricked can anyone help...Thanks

It's stuck at the Dual Core screen

Go back into recovery and update, should.work if you can get in, you"ll be on ICS if not then look at the bottom part of OP, "Unbricking"

Bornatiger said:
Thanks, rda. I Safestrap is gone (the way you mentioned). I already have VRK, I didn't realize it was that easy to unroot. Thanks for the info and help.

Yup, let us know how it goes, IF the first installation fails, immediately turn it off and go STRAIGHT into recovery and FLASH the update, you'll be in ICS.

georgenazar

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you

Use this method if you haven't gotten the OTA prompt yet or your wi-fi/3G/4G is too slow to download it.

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEPS

YOU MUST BE STOCK STOCK STOCK 2.3.6/6.12.181.XT912
FOR THIS TO WORK

If you have installed Safestrap or Bootstrap, uninstall them.
If you are rooted, unroot.

IF YOU BRICK, DON'T PANIC, DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T CALL VERIZON TO SEND YOU A NEW PHONE, READ THE BOTTOM OF THE POST TO UNBRICK YOUR PHONE
(You'll know it's bricked when you're waiting about 20 Minutes in the red "Dual Core" boot up screen)

If you reboot back into GB, make sure again, you are 100% stock, no root, nothing, and try these steps again. For some it's taken doing these steps about 2 times to work 100%.

Want to be 100% SURE you WON'T brick or have any errors or problems? Or simply want to make sure you're 100% stock? Follow the guide below (Just as if your phone is BRICKED)

Last thing, make sure battery is AT LEAST 60% CHARGED, if not 100%.

Files needed:

4.0.4 / 6.16.211.XT912 Update ----------> Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

(Don't worry if the name of the .zip is 6.12.181, it's supposed to be that way, it means that's the VERSION you are coming from)

(Verification Hash)
File: Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

CRC-32: 0732c03f
MD4: ac94d73a7d97f3105dde4456bf84513c
MD5: 79a1ee4a992eacd1d08f98dee5deebf7
SHA-1: 5193bebc18cf70939259ee52ebb1e33eb8fae84c

Steps to Update to ICS

1. Download the official OTA "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" file from above.

2. Place the file downloaded in step one into the ROOT of your EXTERNAL SD card. (DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE)

3. Turn off phone.

4. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

5. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)

*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*

6. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.

7. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Wipe CACHE partition" and press the Power button to select it. DO THIS TWICE (Don't worry your data will not get erased by wiping the cache.) (Thanks smmfc)

8. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Apply Update from SDCard" and press the Power button to select it.

9. Volume Down (-) go to the “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip” and select it with the Power button. (This is the one we put in the External SD in Step 2.)

10. It will take a while to upgrade, mine isn't even done yet and I started it when I started to write Step 1 ;)

11. Once it is done, go to "Reboot system now."

12. Official ICS, Enjoy!!! =D

Once it's your first time starting ICS, it WILL take a while to load up, it is normal, it will also be "Optimizing applications" at first start up.

View attachment 51375View attachment 51376View attachment 51377View attachment 51378View attachment 51379

http://www.rda990.com/forums/droidForums/ICSInstallationGuide/6.png
http://www.rda990.com/forums/droidForums/ICSInstallationGuide/7.png
http://www.rda990.com/forums/droidForums/ICSInstallationGuide/8.png

If you need any help reply here and myself and others can help you, or on www.twitter.com/rda990 @rda990 I can give you a step-by-step help.

Unbricking/Flash phone to stock

If you happen to brick, which there's a 50/50 chance you will, follow these steps to put your phone back in a working state.

Files needed:

Droid Razr Utility 1.7 ---------------> DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip (Thanks to mattlgroff Droid Razr Utility 1.6 [Contains 6.12.181 Fastboot Files] - DroidRzr.com)

(Verification Hash)
File: DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip

CRC-32: 40adc704
MD4: 1c388f25e385d42e0b5ceba609b7dadd
MD5: 40dc068dc4b0dfba12c96a7d18c267e5
SHA-1: 61cbd07166a4d719a5413ca0c48e40f3bc06064f

Steps to Unbrick/Go Stock

1. Download the official OTA "DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip" file from above.

2. Unzip all the files into the ROOT of your computer (C:\). (Thanks loudneon)

3. If you DO NOT already have the Motorola drivers installed, go into the "drivers" folder and select your OS type (64bit or 32bit). If you already have the drivers installed, continue.

4. With the phone turned off, press and hold Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-) and the Power button all together.

5. With the Volume Down (-) key go down to AP Fastboot and select it. You are now in AP Fastboot mode.

6. Connect the phone to your computer.

7. From Step 2 files, double click on the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file.

8. Press any key to get started.

9. Select option 1 and follow the instructions.

10. Once it is done with the process, your phone will be unbricked and be 100% ready to try the steps above, or if you want, be safe and wait for the OTA =D

I had already downloaded the final ICS update for 2.3.6 so when I saw this post I finally knew what to do with it. I even already had it on my SD card and retitled UPDATE.ZIP, which you do not need to do but I guess I am old school. I just got my replacement DroidRAZR from Verizon yesterday and rooted it this morning. Then I saw this post and followed the instructions. I cannot guarantee this for you, but for me, IT KEPT MY ROOT because I used OTA Rootkeeper and had already disabled and saved my root settings. So after the lengthy update - at the very end - IT FAILED. So I tried to reboot and it would not boot. So I went back in to recovery mode, and while in recovery mode I saw a new poor little green android with his chest opened up and a red triangle sign with an ! exclamation point coming out of him. This was NOT a gingerbread graphic, so it had to be ICS. So I did a factory reset then immediately applied the update and the update succeeded. I then rebooted, a very long 5 to 7 minutes of biting my finger nails but then it booted into ICS. I logged in to google, Play then automatically downloaded 185 of my programs, all the ones I got from the Market not the ones from side-loading or Amazon, and all my Root programs were there. I just opened up Voodoo OTA rootkeeper and restored root and I was DONE. I now have the official Android 4.04 on my RAZR a week before anybody else AND IT IS ROOTED and works perfectly.

From the other replies in this post other people have not had such favorable outcomes. Just be persistent, KEEP YOUR PHONE PLUGGED IN THE WHOLE TIME, and do not be afraid to lose everything. Hopefully you have My Backup and Titanium Backup both with your apps and settings already. Do not be afraid to do a factory reset. In fact I would encourage it so you can get a CLEAN INSTALL OF ICE CREAM SANDWICH.

Today is a good day.................

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
georgenazar said:
I had already downloaded the final ICS update for 2.3.6 so when I saw this post I finally knew what to do with it. I even already had it on my SD card and retitled UPDATE.ZIP, which you do not need to do but I guess I am old school. I just got my replacement DroidRAZR from Verizon yesterday and rooted it this morning. Then I saw this post and followed the instructions. I cannot guarantee this for you, but for me, IT KEPT MY ROOT because I used OTA Rootkeeper and had already disabled and saved my root settings. So after the lengthy update - at the very end - IT FAILED. So I tried to reboot and it would not boot. So I went back in to recovery mode, and while in recovery mode I saw a new poor little green android with his chest opened up and a red triangle sign with an ! exclamation point coming out of him. This was NOT a gingerbread graphic, so it had to be ICS. So I did a factory reset then immediately applied the update and the update succeeded. I then rebooted, a very long 5 to 7 minutes of biting my finger nails but then it booted into ICS. I logged in to google, Play then automatically downloaded 185 of my programs, all the ones I got from the Market not the ones from side-loading or Amazon, and all my Root programs were there. I just opened up Voodoo OTA rootkeeper and restored root and I was DONE. I now have the official Android 4.04 on my RAZR a week before anybody else AND IT IS ROOTED and works perfectly.

From the other replies in this post other people have not had such favorable outcomes. Just be persistent, KEEP YOUR PHONE PLUGGED IN THE WHOLE TIME, and do not be afraid to lose everything. Hopefully you have My Backup and Titanium Backup both with your apps and settings already. Do not be afraid to do a factory reset. In fact I would encourage it so you can get a CLEAN INSTALL OF ICE CREAM SANDWICH.

Today is a good day.................

Another successful story =D Glad everything worked out fine! I also did have root and kept root with rootkeeper, then easily restored root, but this guide isn't on how to root ICS, it's to getting on to ICS that's why i didn't include it here to keep it simple lol. The same steps you took of trying the update again in the new recovery is what everyone else should be doing.

Last edited:

bjmoore30

Reaction score
ok so has anyone with soft brick and low battery been fixed up yet? I'm still stuck for now. redownloading ICS file then trying update again.

45% of it complete

Bornatiger

Reaction score
Yup, let us know how it goes, IF the first installation fails, immediately turn it off and go STRAIGHT into recovery and FLASH the update, you'll be in ICS.
Failed. Tried again 3 times, all aborted(status 7). Should I do Matts utility now?

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Bornatiger said:
Failed. Tried again 3 times, all aborted(status 7). Should I do Matts utility now?

Yea option 1, then install again. Do you remember what the error 7 said?