Official OTA ICS Update Guide for Droid Razr & Razr MAXX - adapted from rda990's

computerfixer412

Reaction score
These instructions worked flawlessly for me (I've adapted them from rda990's thread)

I followed this tread for quite some time and tried various things going from the stock Android 2.3.6 - 6.12.181.XT912 on Droid Razr MAXX to update to ICS. I also received a softbrick after three attempts. For those of you that are concerned about softbricking your phone I recommend the following:

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEPS - YOU WILL FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE DURING THIS PROCESS ERASING ALL DATA (INCLUDING THE INTERNAL STORAGE!!!)

Files needed (Links from my Website):

http://public.armorlight.biz/wordpress/?page_id=6

Drivers (included below in Matt's Utility).

4.0.4 / 6.16.211.XT912 Update ----------> Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

(Don't worry if the name of the .zip is 6.12.181, it's supposed to be that way, it means that's the VERSION you are coming from)

(Verification Hash)
File: Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip

CRC-32: 0732c03f
MD4: ac94d73a7d97f3105dde4456bf84513c
MD5: 79a1ee4a992eacd1d08f98dee5deebf7
SHA-1: 5193bebc18cf70939259ee52ebb1e33eb8fae84c

Droid Razr Utility 1.7 ---------------> DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip (Thanks to mattlgroff Portal - DroidRzr.com)

(Verification Hash)
File: DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip

CRC-32: 40adc704
MD4: 1c388f25e385d42e0b5ceba609b7dadd
MD5: 40dc068dc4b0dfba12c96a7d18c267e5
SHA-1: 61cbd07166a4d719a5413ca0c48e40f3bc06064f

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Backup all your data (I recommend TitaniumBackup but you will have to have a rooted phone for that program to work). Otherwise use a utility like MyBackup (found in the Google Play).

2. Make sure battery is AT LEAST 60% CHARGED, if not 100%.

3. Download the official OTA "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" file from above.

4. IMPORTANT! Place the file downloaded in step three into the ROOT of your EXTERNAL SD card. (DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE)

5. Turn off the phone.

6. Download the official OTA "DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip" file from above.

7. Unzip all the files into the ROOT of your computer (C:\). (Thanks loudneon)

8. If you DO NOT already have the Motorola drivers installed, go into the "drivers" folder and select your OS type (64bit or 32bit). If you already have the drivers installed, continue.

9. Connect the phone to your computer.

10. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

11. With the Volume Down (-) key go down to AP Fastboot and select it by pressing the Volume Up (+) key. You are now in AP Fastboot mode.

12. From Step 7 files (Files extracted to C:\), double click on the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file.

13. Press any key to get started.

14. Select option 1 and follow the instructions.

15. Once it is done with the process, your phone will be 100% ready to flash the ICS update.

16. Power off your phone.

17. Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)

18. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)

*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*

19. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.

20. With the Volume Down (-) button select "Wipe Data" and press the power button to select it.

21. Once complete, go to "Wipe CACHE partition" and press the Power button to select it.

22. VERY IMPORTANT! REBOOT YOUR PHONE again into recovery mode! - DO NOT BOOT UP THE PHONE TO THE OS!

23. WIPE THE CACHE AGAIN!

24. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Apply Update from SDCard" and press the Power button to select it.

25. Volume Down (-) go to the “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip” and select it with the Power button. (This is the one we put in the External SD in Step 2.)

26. It will take a while to upgrade, PLEASE BE PATIENT

27. Once it is done, go to "Reboot system now."

28. Official ICS, Enjoy!!! =D

29. If Desired, run Matt's Utility again to root your phone & install OTA RootKeepr (Make sure USB debugging is enabled).

Once it's your first time starting ICS, it WILL take a while to load up, it is normal, it will also be "Optimizing applications" at first start up.

Thank you to rda990 for his original thread!​

Last edited:

Scott0719

Reaction score
How come you have to wipe everything? I believe rda said you didn't have to.

rda990

Reaction score
Links are down ...dropbox is having issues. :blink:
Please use the ones from rda990's thread for now. I'll upload new links soon!
Thanks! :)

If you need to host links for this thread I can upload any files for this guide (I have unlimited storage + faster speed than free hosting) PM me if you want.

How come you have to wipe everything? I believe rda said you didn't have to.

For this method you do, if upgrading from recovery straight to the OTA without problems, you won't lose anything, beware though always backup.

OP
C

computerfixer412

Reaction score
I have reports that this method is working. For those of you that want a fresh install...here you go!

jaydoubledub

Reaction score
These instructions worked flawlessly for me (I've adapted them from rda990's thread)

28. Official ICS, Enjoy!!! =D

Thank you to rda990 for his original thread!​

Thanks for the walk through! I had to do it twice, because of MY own fault. I missed a step (wiping data/factory reset).
I came from a rooted stock 2.3.6 with safestrap. I uninstalled safestrap and used the DroidRazrUtility to unroot.

Now, I get to see what ICS is all about. Thank you again!

cedricl

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. I had to use different threads to fix my RAZR, but now I am happily running ICS. The phone was soft bricked, battery ran down, and I was becoming frustrated. As my wife keep me laughing to keep me from screaming I gathered everything I needed to fix the phone. I made the factory cable using MotoCache1's thread. I kept checking the leads to make sure I didn't mess up the phone or laptop. Satisfied I plug it in and it booted up with no problem. I then moved on to mattlgroff's Droid Razr Utility to get the phone up and running. I hope he enjoys the beer. Then I used computerfixer412's step by step instructions to get ICS on the first try without any problems at all. After the battery is charged, I will be eager to see if the global functions work. Thanks again.

A little advice for the inexperienced, read the entire thread first before crying for help. Your question has probably already been answered.

animal67

Reaction score
Links are down again. Soft bricked and need the utility file please.

animal67

Reaction score
Says connection was reset. Hit retry and it keeps saying it was reset.

animal67

Reaction score
I had soft bricked my phone so while I was waiting to download Matt's Utility file, I tried updating with the ICS.zip again. I booted into recovery, clear the cache like 5 times, cleared data and factory reset, and cleared cache once more. Loaded the ICS update.zip again and it worked.