[New!]D1-MIUI-1.1.28.0

datsyuk

Reaction score
Since I use a mix of Gingersuave and JD's Suave and I can't customize my themes what I did is downloaded Gingersuave's 1.28 version, renamed it to a .zip, pasted all the pieces I take from JD's, renamed it to a .mtz and applied through file explorer and boom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

leutbneot

Reaction score
Scene: an overly-long response, in which leutbneot attempts to explain his last post.

Now I've got two wholly different OS's on my phone
No, you don't. Running LauncherPro is... just running another app. It just happens to be another launcher. It's not another OS nor even another ROM.

all the apps and system data are shared between MIUI and LauncherPro's version of MIUI
That's because it's all the same MIUI ROM. There's no LauncherPro "version" of MIUI; it's all just MIUI.

You could download and install ADW Launcher, LauncherPro, GDE, Zeam, and Go launcher and set them all up and have your phone ask you which one you wanted to run whenever you hit the home button.

Lots of people run LauncherPro instead of the stock launcher. Many people run Chevy's kernel, or slayher's, or p3, or something else too. It's not any big deal, really.

*Again, sorry for the length of the post. Skip it if you want, it's basically just a response to Michael_Campbell's post above*

Well, it looks like someone forgot his happy juicebox this morning. I'm not a total idiot; I started programming when I was like ten years old, I know my way around UNIX and Linux and Windows and OSX and most of the major OS's and apps. I know my Android kernels (Chevy's are my favorite.) I rooted my D1 manually using exclusively UNIX in a Parallels emulation of Windows 95 - the crappiest version ever made of Windows ever made but the only one I had on me. Apparently rooting a D1 exclusively in a UNIX terminal environment apparently still doesn't work with OSX's Terminal for some reason. Anyway, getting off track here. The point is that I'm not a newbie at this stuff and my original post was designed to help non-nerd people with Androids (like my mother) who want to take the MIUI plunge but need a way out of they're scared away by the interface. That's all.

I *definitely* understand the difference between a ROM, a kernel, an OS, and an App; I thought my post made that pretty clear. Obviously, if you run LauncherPro on top of MIUI, you're still running the MIUI ROM because the D1 can't run two ROMs at the same time, but my point was that it FEELS like you have two (or three, with ADW, or four with GDE, etc) instantly changeable and almost instantly bootable OSs on one phone - after all, the launcher really is the OS (in that it dictates how you Operate your System), and the ROM and kernel are the things under the hood.

My MIUI Launcher, for instance, is set up in a totally different way than my LauncherPro setup, because they're both optimized for doing different things. I think it's pretty cool that you can hot-swap between these on the fly. I'm sorry if it doesn't pass your test for what can be considered cool and awesome about Android, but it definitely passes mine, which I why I posted in the first place. I had just installed MIUI when I wrote that earlier post, and the fact that it was working like gangbusters made me very ebullient. I had a very traumatic experience with MIUI a month or two ago, but now I've got this great new OS AND all the comforts of LauncherPro at my fingertips? SWEET. I just thought, "waiiiiit a minute, I can run these sequentially without restarting and use them both in their optimal capacity!" My mom would think this is super cool and it totally wouldn't freak her out because the other launcher you install, be it LauncherPro, ADW, etc, functions as a sort of psychological escape hatch. I think that's awesome.

LauncherPro was my default launcher of choice ever since it came out. I bought the D1 the day it was released, and I remember this because it came out on my birthday - and when I found LauncherPro a few days later I couldn't believe how one single programmer could make a launcher that was so much better, in almost every way, than the one the team of superintelligent-space-rocket-monkey-super-scientists they have over at Google had shipped with the phone. And while I realize it's the MIUI ROM behind the scenes, it makes the phone FEEL more like it used to when I was running Simply Stunning or Bugless or Sapphire. And plus, you can stretch your widgets again :rockon:. I love stretching me some widgets, and I love LauncherPro's interface, options, and custom widgets much more than anything ADW or GDE or possibly even MIUI have to offer, and MIUI has quickly become my second favorite. The only thing ADW has going for it is themes and I'm sure LauncherPro will probably add support for them inside of six months.

Anyway, lighten up man (woman? Doubtful, but I digress.) I was just offering a suggestion to people that like MIUI but occasionally miss the way their phone USED to work and might not be tech-savvy enough to understand you can use as many launchers as you want, just like a Mac can run Windows or Linux or (god forbid) BeOS if you want it to.

(sidebar: whatever happened to BeOS? They were the "next big thing" for a good hot minute, they were on the cover of Wired, and I downloaded and used their public beta for a few weeks and thought it was pretty good. It was unstable, even compared to some of the early beta builds we have here on the forums, but at least it had preemptive multitasking and multithreading, which is more than OS 9 could boast. Anyway.)

My main point was this: this idea happens to work really well in practice and has improved my user experience dramatically. What's wrong with sharing that? "It's no big deal, really", you say, and you're totally correct, but it's still fun and cool and that's what this is all about, right? Android rules because it's fun and there ARE NO RULES. It's like the Wild West out here in these forums. I can't even keep track of all the MIUI updates and the Chevy/Slahyer/Koush kernel updates because stuff changes all the time, which is great for the community. You can literally do whatever you want with your Droid and so can I. No need for the snark and superiority. I was just trying to be nice.

Peace, brother? Let's all be ANDROID SUPERFRIENDS together (the word "Superfriends" just seems like it requires a bigger font, am I wrong?) C'mon, I'll buy you a beer. You sound like you need to relax and have a few cold ones. I'd wish your team good luck in the Super Bowl, but I don't know you, who you root for, or if you're like I am and vastly prefer the graceful cat-and-mouse ballet of perfection that is baseball to the concussion-yielding, play stopping sport that is football. I'll take a stab anyway. Go... Steelers?

:beer2::pint:

PS- I just saw datsyuk's response. That's an interesting idea, I'll try it out when I have a spare hour or two. Cheers.

leutbneot

Reaction score
Really?

after all, the launcher really is the OS (in that it dictates how you Operate your System)

Operate your System =/= Operating System

smh.

This particular forum seems immune to hyperbolic interlocution today. I didn't mean that the Launcher WAS the OS, I said it ACTED like as OS. It's just another app, but the way that most launcher apps are used in Android is as a central place from which to launch and control all other apps and parameters in the system. Sounds like an OS to me, even if it really isn't.

Jeez. Never had to work so hard to explain myself before. Maybe I'm losing my sex appeal.

OK, now I'm ready. Which tiny sentence fragment of THIS post are you going to find a tiny grammatical or syntactical fault with (I suppose I just ended that sentence with a preposition, so I sorta set you up, but that's pretty cheap)? I'm just trying to make the point that the Android system is flexible, versatile, and awesome, and that this is a good example of it. If you don't agree with that, then I guess we can agree to disagree. Still, if you believe that, why are you on this board?

EDIT: I actually feel dumb, but I just realized that I've never posted in this part of the site before, so all this trumped-up "I'm scratching my head at your incredible stupidity" nonsense is actually some sort of bizarre Andro-nerd hazing ritual. If so, bring it on. If not, you're being incredibly obtuse just for the sake of a non-argument with some guy on the Internet who you will never, ever meet. I mean, really? "Operating the System =/= Operating System... SMH." You're shaking your symbolic head over what amounts to a game of semantics, and a pretty basic one at that. Can't we all agree that it's cool to have two awesome Launchers installed on one phone at the same time? Or are we going to bicker about that, too?

It's funny, I've found that the more passionate a person is about a particular subject, the more vitriolic and asinine his or her arguments will become. This happens gradually, over time, because as you get deeper and deeper into what you love, you become an expert. For me, it was music. If anyone ever says Sgt. Pepper's is a better album than Revolver, I want to explode. That's not normal, rational behavior, but I care so much about it that even the mention of the argument makes the blood run hot. I think that might be the case here. I came on and said, "Hey guys! I finally got MIUI working and it's great! Also, as a bonus, LauncherPro still works, so I have the best of both worlds!" Who could possibly find fault in that statement except for a bunch of jaded programmers.

I feel your pain though, guys. When I hear people playing Jackson or Ibanez guitars (not Ibanez basses, though) through Line6 virtual nu-metal modeling gear at Guitar Center, I want to set off a suicide bomb, and I guess I have that same effect on real programmers. I'm an amateur in this arena... a skilled amateur, but an amateur nonetheless. Real professionals that actually code this stuff must look at my posts with utter disdain, the way I see people in Guitar Center.

Or maybe it's just hazing. Is there some sort of ritualistic bare-bottom spanking climax later on? I'm looking forward to it...

Seriously guys, all in good fun. I have nothing but respect for the programmers that make this amazing software, for free, for me to use and screw around with. But don't snark out on all amateurs just because they're amateurs. Do what I do when I hear that twelve year old kid with the black-on-black Jackson playing a Mesa Triple Rectifier at full gain at Guitar Center and miss every third note of the Freebird solo. Just bite your tongue, try to offer some helpful advice if you can, and leave. That's all you can do unless you want to punch a twelve year old in the face (which I do, frequently, but don't, for obvious reasons), so just suck it up and move on.

Not everyone is a pro, but I hang out here so I can learn more from people who know this stuff better than I do. I do it because I like knowledge and I like computers and programming and Android, and I love my D1, and I'd like to get to know its innards a bit better. I don't do it to start flame wars with people who obviously just want to argue semantics for the sake of arguing. No time. Got a band rehearsal in 45 minutes, gotta run.

Last edited:

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Swype not working in this builds of MIUI for me, installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, no go. I did Swype install after P3Droid kernel, don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Kernel should not have effect on Swype install.
No joy.

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
swype works for me, but im not using beta swype.

Last edited:

lilcdroid

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with any versions running swype and im on the beta. Install it with every new rom with wipe included.

acles003

Reaction score
I helped a friend flash MIUI onto a HTC EVO. On the MIUI forums, it says

If coming from a previous build, only a cache and davlik-cache wipe is required

So I was able to flash the newest version of MIUI onto the EVO without having to do a complete Wipe Data/factory reset.

I'm curious as to why can't I do this on my D1? I don't use LauncherPro or ADW, so every time i flash a new version of MIUI, I have to reset my apps on my home screen. Doing that every week is getting annoying. If doing a complete WipeData/factory reset is the only option, then I'll suck it up and deal with it, but when I saw that the EVO can do it, and when I was on Ultimate Droid going from version 2.3 to 2.5, I didn't have to do a complete wipe to flash the newer version, I was wondering if MIUI for D1 can do it too?

Thanks.

Last edited:

hoppermi

Reaction score

So I was able to flash the newest version of MIUI onto the EVO without having to do a complete Wipe Data/factory reset.

I'm curious as to why can't I do this on my D1? I don't use LauncherPro or ADW, so every time i flash a new version of MIUI, I have to reset my apps on my home screen. Doing that every week is getting annoying. If doing a complete WipeData/factory reset is the only option, then I'll suck it up and deal with it, but when I saw that the EVO can do it, and when I was on Ultimate Droid going from version 2.3 to 2.5, I didn't have to do a complete wipe to flash the newer version, I was wondering if MIUI for D1 can do it too?

Thanks.

Sure. I've updated one of my friends phones about once a month w/o wiping anything and he hasn't had any issues.
You are free to try anything. Jamezelle just asks, if you are going to report bugs, please do a full wipe just to be sure it is the ROM and not something else.

acles003

Reaction score
So then if it acts up, I just reboot into recovery, do a complete wipe/factory reset, install zip from SD card, and install like I have been right?

Also, Do I need to partition my SD card? not really sure what that means or what it does, but I have seen it mentioned a few times in the forums.

Thanks.

Sure. I've updated one of my friends phones about once a month w/o wiping anything and he hasn't had any issues.
You are free to try anything. Jamezelle just asks, if you are going to report bugs, please do a full wipe just to be sure it is the ROM and not something else.

Booch_21

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Sirius thing is working or not yet. O would just like someone that works on this rom to respond. I have donated to the rom and feel I deserve that much. Thanks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

no its still not working :(. im looking into why its not working, its very strange :-/

Actually, Sirius is an odd duck in the app world. I have had it for some time on various ROM's. Since I have been using MIUI, the Sirius app has acted up and I switch to TuneIn Radio. After a few days, sometimes a week, Sirius starts playing just fine again. It was fine this week on 1.1.22. I am going to 1.1.28 right now and fully expect Sirius to not work for a week or so. I can't explain, but have quit trying to figure it out since it always seems to "come back". Doesn't help much, but wanted to pass it along.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
why do people complain about having to wipe? no one says you have to update to every new build, and to be honest every build seems to have the same "known issues" and i havent been able to tell the difference in builds for probably the last 3 in daily use.

hoppermi

Reaction score
So then if it acts up, I just reboot into recovery, do a complete wipe/factory reset, install zip from SD card, and install like I have been right?

Also, Do I need to partition my SD card? not really sure what that means or what it does, but I have seen it mentioned a few times in the forums.

Correct, thats how you do it.

No partition is needed.

Also use the MIUI Backup app to save your desktop layout. Just restore your apps and then restore the layout. Works great, you'll just have to replace your widgets.

bluesupra

Reaction score
i have aproblem...
1. my wifi is broken, when i tried to turn wifi on my phone restarted, i try it twice same thing happened,
2. my theme only show .mtz file, when i use the previous version all my theme showed up
what should i do?
thnx