Need help for my Moms christmas gift

armoayjay

Reaction score
christmas is coming up and for the last couple of years my mom has been using this old crappy toshiba laptop
now its at the point where the hinges are broken the battery wont charge and constatly just shuts off

any ways ive been wanting to buy her a new computer/ now this is where i need yalls help

today at best buy i saw the galaxy tab, do yall think i could get her that and she could use it effectably , all she does is type emails and school work for her college classes, is there an app on the market that allows you to type full college papers like microsoft word?

or would i have better luck just getting her a basic laptop?

plus do yall know when the chrome os not browser will come out and if it will be available for the galaxy?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
christmas is coming up and for the last couple of years my mom has been using this old crappy toshiba laptop
now its at the point where the hinges are broken the battery wont charge and constatly just shuts off

any ways ive been wanting to buy her a new computer/ now this is where i need yalls help

today at best buy i saw the galaxy tab, do yall think i could get her that and she could use it effectably , all she does is type emails and school work for her college classes, is there an app on the market that allows you to type full college papers like microsoft word?

or would i have better luck just getting her a basic laptop?

plus do yall know when the chrome os not browser will come out and if it will be available for the galaxy?
Their is a word app, but i suggest getting her a basic laptop. I love android to death but i honestly can see a difference in my uses.... i always do hw from my laptop just becuase word is better and buying your mom a whole new Os might confuse her. Also tablets for android are just coming about, give the market a little while where it actually has some choices. You could get an ok laptop or a reallly good netbook for the $500 (Android is great but it is definetly not to the point where it replaces the need for a pc).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
+1 for getting her the laptop.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm for the laptop also.....

for now that is... (he says while playig angry birds on his Gtab)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 more for the laptop

tablets are nice, but mainly for portability. if she wants to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time, especially typing, ur gonna want to get her a laptop

Sleeve

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the laptop idea. However, there is a keyboard dock for the Tab that is a good size, offers charging and stereo speakers, but at the cost of plugging it in and paying $100. The end result is a bunch of parts that cost more than a laptop, are less convenient to carry, don't casually "lap" well, can't run all the software that a laptop could, and would generally miss the mark for most people.

I'm giving a Tab as a gift, but I'm coming from the opposite angle. My wife wants a Kindle, I'm giving her Kindle, as an icon, on a Tab, right next to the nook and Aldiko icons. I'm doing this because I don't like buying narrow purpose electronics and my wife really wants 3G data everywhere but thinks that browsing and other data uses on a phone is silly due to the screen size. In comes the Tab and I take her e-reader desire and her data everywhere wish and smother both.

Be sure that a Tab is a better choice than the alternatives when you try to justify it as a gift in place of a different request or need. I had to struggle with the popularity of e-ink and the huge battery life of Kindle when I made my choice. You struggle with the keyboard and software issues, and unless Verizon makes a provisioning policy change, you force her into a monthly data plan charge.

OP
A

armoayjay

Reaction score
Yeah after reading yalls posts its a better choice to get her a laptop then a tab. I don't think the techonology is there yet for tabs to completly replace laptops (yet), I'm prob gonna get on newegg and see what I can do. Thanks for all the insight.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kingoftowns

Reaction score
I would say it depends on what she is doing. if she is anything like my parents, the only thing they do on a computer is browse the interweb, email, youtube, pictures, etc.

for this both of my parents LOVED the iPad, the only catch with the iPad is it requires a computer to get started.

as for the Tab my dad and I love it, but my mom still prefers the iPad, I think Apple's iOS is a little more user friendly/idiot proof than Android.

however you simply can't go wrong with a laptop.