need help again

preacher1611

Reaction score
dancedroidokay so i hear i can make my phone run faster. i think it is called something like setcpu but im not sure. can someone help me. i dont want a rom cuz i think the stock is the best one, well from what i saw so far. and i am rooted by the way.
running droid x 2.2

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
setcpu isnt going to do much since custom kernels arent possible

OP
P

preacher1611

Reaction score
so what do i do? for faster softwear and more battery life.

scubieman

Reaction score
You can go with a custom ROM. A custom ROM will strip all unwanted and goes to bone stock. Then you add back the apps you want and not the stupid junk verizon wants on there.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
He already went through the whole ROM thing last night. Think he's saying he tried it and feels the stock one is the best.

Sorry preacher, I haven't messed with Over Clocking enough to give good advice.

Oh, and welcome! Didn't get a chance to say so last night:)

OP
P

preacher1611

Reaction score
Yeah I did the rubix rom and I didn't think it was any better than my stock. If there are done that are better I wouldn't mind trying them. But my goal now is a faster phone and more battery life.
Thanks for the welcome, everyone is so helpful.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

scubieman

Reaction score
I would say droidx is fast enough. Give it a couple months or **RUMORS** that a dual core may be out soon. usually getting rid of bloatware helps.

OP
P

preacher1611

Reaction score
Okay so how do I get rid of this bloat wear, and what is that?

scubieman

Reaction score

Read this. It's fairly simple http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62427-how-remove-bloatware.html

What I did is rooted phone made backup. Then removed bloatware. If I needed to go to stock , I flased estock backup and then unroot and be back to stock in no time.

Second I used root explorer to rename files from apk to bak. The nice thing is with root explorer you search for bak in the /system/app directory it will return the results only for the apps that you rename. Makes very simple to find and rename back.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Bloatware is Blockbuster, Amazon kindle, Amazon MP3, News Widgets and all the other stuff that wont delete using an uninstaller.

I use Titanium Backup (paid version) and freeze everything I don't use. My phone runs a lot better and I don't have to look at the bloatware.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also if you want to make your phone run faster there are a few overclock apps available in the marketplace. I used jrummy16 d2/dx overclock app.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

scubieman

Reaction score

Bloatware is Blockbuster, Amazon kindle, Amazon MP3, News Widgets and all the other stuff that wont delete using an uninstaller.

I use Titanium Backup (paid version) and freeze everything I don't use. My phone runs a lot better and I don't have to look at the bloatware.

What exactly does freeze mean?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

When you use the paid version of titanium backup you can select certain apps and "freeze" them meaning they will not be deleted but will not be allowed to run. This is a good option because then if you need to update the firmware you can just thaw them out.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Titanium BU has an option where you can freeze apps you don't use so you can defrost theme later if need be. This way you don't have to delete or rename them. Just gotta watch what you freeze and delete.