Need help rooting

loonlalane

Reaction score
Im trying to root my droid x currently running android version 2.2.1 & system version 2.3.340 as well as install Darkslide v4.1 . Im almost completely oblivious as to what I have to do & what programs I need. Can anyone please help?

OP
L

loonlalane

Reaction score
download the z4root application here
put it on your sdcard, install it, open it, click root

you're done

thanks...I've tried using the z4root app a few times & each time my phone has frozen up after the bottom of the screen has said "Forking Completed", how can I tell if my phone is rooted?

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Find an app like wireless tethering and try it. If it asks for superuser permissions then the root worked.

DThomp

Reaction score
Don't forget to get the X bootstrap, too. If your having trouble with z4root put the phone on airplane mode before you start. The first time I rooted 2.3.340 it took forever, then I read somebody mention to put the phone into airplane mode. It now roots it in under 2 minutes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Were you able to get rooted? Let me know I can try and help you further.. I just flashed darkslide last night so I can help you with that as well.. dancedroid

Tippin

Reaction score
idk. I think ive rooted my phone.. I installed z4root and ran that with a permanent root. my phone then rebooted by itself. ( i didn't need to take the battery out) That got me a little nervous as someone said that i would have too take the battery out to reboot it.

but anyway.. phone loaded up with a different background and i scrolled in the app section a bit and i found "Superuser" in grey. I click it and there is nothing in there.

Am i now rooted?

jsw6380a

Reaction score
There wont be anything there until you install a root app. That is showing what is granted super user permissions. Do NOT try to flash a rom until you get this figured out... It will brick it and you will have no recovery. You need to see if you have root access. Try dowloading titanium back up, shoot me or wifi tether from the market and see if it grants you access. You will then need to buy DX bootstrapper before installing ANY roms. make sure you do a Titanium back up after you get it from the market. let me know if you have any more questions.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Im gonna try and post a video tonight of a z4 root and then everything you need to do prior to flashing a rom.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Z4 Root Tutorial for Droid-X

Try this link [video=youtube;ymdVLL1ioUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdVLL1ioUc"]Here[/video] .. This give you step by step instructions on how to run z4 root.

rgreene1971

Reaction score
Try this link Here .. This give you step by step instructions on how to run z4 root.

Thank you jsw6380, that could not have been any easier to follow. great video and thank you for taking the time to put it togeather and share.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
No problem man! Sorry about the camera (Wife's X) glad it was easy to follow. dancedroid

rgreene1971

Reaction score
what would be the first things I should install after the root? I have read I should install some kind of backup tool? I have downloaded a wifi tether already, works great.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Titanium Backup. And Droid X Bootstrapper. Droid X bootstrapper is a paid app but worth every penny. Titanium is free and very easy to use. Bootstrapper will give you a nandroid backup which you will need when you begin to flash roms.

Bo[video=youtube;VB4_UxdJy6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB4_UxdJy6Q"]otstrapper Tutorial is here[/video]