My Droid shut off on me today.......

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Droyd, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Droyd

Droyd New Member

I went to check to see if I had any messages on the Droid today.......and nothing. It would not come to life. Tried to hold down the power button to get it to turn on, thinking it somehow got powered off, and still nothing. Dead as a door nail. I pulled the battery out, put it back in and tried to power it up, and it came on. Showed I had 90% battery life left. WTF??? Any ideas, or has anyone else experienced this?
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Not with a Droid I haven't but I sure did with a blackberry. It sounds to me liked it crashed and you did the right thing by doing a battery pull. I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening. If it does it probably is an app that's not playing nice. Then do a factory reset and add your apps one at a time and see if you can find the trouble maker.
  3. jets20

jets20 New Member

Freaky. Mine did that today also. Right around 11:15 am.
  4. Jason

Jason New Member

Same thing happen to me as well. I left it untouched and it was off and wouldn't turn on and I did the same and it worked also
  5. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

I have heard of this and it has happened to me. Happened 3x in one day to me, then about a week or two later and hasn't happened since. Weird. The battery pull is always the fix. Not sure why this is happening but I think it will be addressed in the next update.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'm quite sure of why it happens and since the majority of people do not have an issue like this I wouldnt count on it being addressed on the next update.
  7. verakkr

verakkr New Member

It's happened to mine a few times as well, but not often enough for me to throw a caution flag in the air. And as far as I know, this is not a known issue, and I've not had any customers come in with it either... could just be one of those things.
  8. jen_005

jen_005 New Member

I'm thinking it's probably an app issue. I downloaded a bunch yesterday and my phone has blacked out twice since then. It only happens when I'm messing around on it, but that might just be coincidence.

I was considering swapping it at Verizon, but I haven't tried uninstalling the apps to see if it helps...
  9. king kumo

king kumo New Member

if i did a factory hard reset, will i lose all my contacts
  10. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

You will lose any apps you haven't backed up. I wouldn't do a hard reset, but just remove apps you recently added that might be causing the shutdown. You lose everything in a hard reset so think about it before you do it.
    Your contacts will be pulled from your gmail acct. Just make sure to back them up there before resetting, then you can sync it after the reset and they will all appear.
  11. lgsdds

lgsdds New Member

Droid shut down

I got my Droid the first day of issue and it had this problem on and off for the first three weeks of use, being cured only via reboot with the battery removal. I talked to a Verizon tech and was told the safest thing was to go back and get a new phone since it was under a month old. Long story short, the new phone has never shut down. I truly think some early phones had an issue.
  12. steve13

steve13 New Member

This has happened to me twice since I've had my droid, I got mine a week after release. This morning was just the second time but I haven't downloaded any apps in like a week, so I don't know if that really is the issue. Who knows.
  13. Sherry

Sherry Member

Interesting! Mine quit about the same time as I was driving from Louisiana to NC. Did the battery thing and it came right back up.
  14. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

Keep in mind this would be a warranty issue on the phone and not a 30 day thing through VZW. The warranty for the phone is 1 year. They give you the 30 days to decide if you like the phone and if not, they will take the phone back (minus a small $35 fee) and you can get a different phone.
  15. lgsdds

lgsdds New Member

That is certainly true, but after 30 days I believe you have to send your phone in for repair, while I just got a new phone on the spot with no down time for me.
  16. c freeland

c freeland New Member

How many have down loaded the home++ app. Mine got less responsive and got kind of unstable just before it shutdown. I did the battery thingy and it came back on, but still slow to respond, the vrz tech suggested maybe it was the home++ app, so I uninstalled it and the phone became much more responsive and stable again. I kinda believe that it was the home++ app causing the problems on mine.
  17. jen_005

jen_005 New Member

Mine did the random shut-down a few days ago, and then a couple times after I installed home++ yesterday. I uninstalled the app and I'm going to see what happens...

It shut down and locked up after I installed Mobile Defense, too. Anyone else have this issue + app?
  18. pbz

pbz New Member

How do you back up your apps?

How do you back up your apps? Thanks!
  19. pbz

pbz New Member

phone won't turn on sometimes with full battery

Like many of you, this has happened to me. I have a hard case on my phone, so it's a pain to remove the battery. I usually was near a charger, so I'd just plug it in, and somehow that acted like a reset too.
Search tags for this page

droid ultra shuts off

motorol droid 4 shuts off on screen saver
motorola droid just sut off
motorola lg just shot off
my droid razr just shut off
my droid ultra just shut off
notorola droid razr just powered off and will not come back
what is causing my droid 2 to shut off

why did my droid ultra shut off

why did my droid ultra turn off
why does the droid ultra shut off