First, Droid wouldn't turn off; now it won't turn on

veronica_713

Reaction score
Phone was plugged in all night, appeared fully charged in the morning. Used it just fine several times. Then just a couple of hours into the day, I went to wake up the screen and unlock it, but the screen didn't come on. The bottom four buttons lit up, and when I swiped my finger across the screen as if to unlock it, I got haptic feedback, but the screen didn't come on, there were no notifications, and there was no sound. Tried holding down the power button, but again I got haptic feedback as I imagine the phone tried to display the silent/airplane mode/power off menu, but I couldn't turn the phone off. Unfortunately, I didn't think to try to remove the battery (never done it before and had a case on).

Had a similar issue a month or so ago and got it to power down by holding down seemingly random combinations of buttons in frustration, so that's again what I did. A month ago when I did this, the phone rebooted itself and everything carried on as normal. This time, absolutely nothing happened.

When I left work later in the day, I tried plugging the phone into my car charger. It looked like the screen backlit, but still didn't come on, and nothing else did, either. I put it in my handbag and went to a work dinner. After I got out of it, I pulled my phone out of my bag and the screen was no longer backlit, but the phone felt hot. By the time I got home, it was normal temp again, and still nothing would turn on.

When to a Verizon store where the guy seemed to ignore the first part of my story entirely and focus on it not turning on. He took it in the back, came back out and asked if I'd noticed if the charger plug had seemed loose lately or was falling out on its own. I replied that it had not. He proceeded to tell me that one of the little prongs in the charger port was bent/broken, so the phone won't charge, and that's why it's dead. I repeated that the phone had charged just fine overnight and had only been on for a couple of hours before the initial problem, and he again proceeded to ignore me and said I wouldn't be able to see it without a magnifying glass. I left.

My issues now are:
1) I still have no idea what's really wrong with my phone
2) I don't know if what's wrong is actually fixable
3) I'm ok buying a new phone since I'd been considering getting one anyway for the past few months (camera totally died a while back and refuses to take pictures, even with other apps controlling it, which did the trick initially); however, aside from the pics on my SD card, there's other data saved in some apps I have that I would really love to be able to recover. I don't necessarily even need to transfer it via cable; all I want is just to be able to power on my phone one last time and make a list of the stuff I want to remember/keep for later.

Background info:
- Yes, I've tried just about every combination of keys they tell you to use to reset your phone (X+power, ctrl+shift+del, etc.)
- Yes, I've tried numerous battery pulls for varying lengths of time, as well as SD card pulls, holding the power button down while the battery is out and then again after it's back in, etc.
- Yes, I'm using the Motorola factory brand wall charger that came with my phone
- No, I haven't downloaded any new apps recently, or any updates to existing ones
- No, my phone wasn't dropped or submerged in water prior to this event
- No, my phone isn't rooted

Since then, just to ensure it wasn't the battery, I had a friend put my battery in her Moto Droid and charge it to capacity. She could use her phone just fine in the meantime. I put it back in my phone and pressed power. The screen backlights, but nothing else happens. Tried some of the key combos (X+power) again, but got nothing. Backlight wouldn't go off again, so I had to keep taking the battery out to get the backlight off in between tries. Also tried plugging it in to both USB and wall power, and the white charger light flashes and then goes back off again, while the backlight comes on and stays on. Again, nothing else happens.

I'm totally at a loss, Verizon was no help, and all I'd really love to do is be able to boot up normally one last time and retrieve some data, then I'll just do a factory restore and get rid of the damn thing. Can anyone help, please?

- Veronica

kcook323

Reaction score
I will be watching this thread. Mine did the same thing yesterday (original Motorola Droid). I cannot turn it on at all. I have pulled the batter, over night even, and it still won't turn on. It was working fine yesterday afternoon. I left it on the dock yesterday evening, went to get it last night and it was black. I pushed the on/off button to wake it up, but nothing. I haven't called Verizon yet. I had insurance on it (but I'm sure it already expired, I'm not sure how it works and I can't see it on my bill). It's time for an upgrade anyway, but I just don't know what I want yet. :/

OP
V

veronica_713

Reaction score
I will be watching this thread. Mine did the same thing yesterday (original Motorola Droid). I cannot turn it on at all. I have pulled the batter, over night even, and it still won't turn on. It was working fine yesterday afternoon. I left it on the dock yesterday evening, went to get it last night and it was black. I pushed the on/off button to wake it up, but nothing. I haven't called Verizon yet. I had insurance on it (but I'm sure it already expired, I'm not sure how it works and I can't see it on my bill). It's time for an upgrade anyway, but I just don't know what I want yet. :/

I just live-chatted with a rep from Motorola who suggested to try holding the up volume key at the same time as the power button. now, i could *swear* to you i already tried this yesterday and it didn't work, but today it did! at some point yesterday i also put the phone in the freezer and forgot about it, then took it out this morning and let it thaw all day. have no idea if this had anything to do with it; probably not. BUT, your phone may also need a couple of days to sit and think about things. who knows? try this trick and see if it works for you. good luck!