Backlight turns off during navigation while in dock

jefbystereo

Reaction score
So I have this peculiar problem in that when using navigation after a while (say 30 minutes) the backlight completely turns off. For a while I actually thought the screen was off until I realized that the screen was on, just 0 backlight. When I remove the phone from the dock, the light turns on again (the only way to get the backlight back) but once I reinsert it into the dock, it lasts a couple minutes before turning off again. My initial hypothesis is that it is heat related (since it is charging while running navigation in the sun) and removing from the dock takes out the charging aspect, but I wanted to see if anyone has come across this before I go into more testing.

I have had this issue on different roms/kernels

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I do not use a dock, but.... My screen dims significantly after a few minutes. When the Nav voice comes on warning of an upcoming turn, it brightens back up to see the info, then dims after the turn.

OP
J

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Unfortunately in this case the backlight turns completely off and not just a dimming issue. I did a little more testing and found that it is unrelated to navigation, and found that when I pinch the phone the light turns back on. I only have this issue in the seidio car dock so I am wondering if it is a bad connection on something.

OP
J

jefbystereo

Reaction score
So this turns out to be unrelated to the dock alltogether too. But the bad news is that it points to a hardware failure. When I apply slight twisting pressure to the back near the camera I can turn on and off the backlight. It is heat related because it takes less pressure when the device is warm. Hopefully I can fix it but if not then it has been a good run with the D1

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
J

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Just thought id give an update incase anyone has a similar problem. I fixed the issue and my phone has been working perfectly for about a week.

The symptoms all pointed to a bad connection so i did some research and found that all the screen cables attatch to the body in the upper left corner under the battery cover (where there is a water damage sticker). I simply blew that area out and get this... pinched the area. I used enough force to reconnect any cables that had pulled up but not damage the phone.

Thats it, been working great ever since.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk