browser and battery life

jabeez

Reaction score
I've had an interesting issue today that I haven't had in the few weeks I've had my Droid. I passed out on the couch last night and didn't put it on the charger, and I thought it was around half on the battery, but I woke up and it was off and wouldn't turn on. I had left the wifi on, so it made sense, but I put it on the charger for a bit in the morning and when I got to work, so it was back up over half when I unplugged it about 4 hours ago. Haven't really messed with it much, and just got back to work and pulled it out and the battery was pretty much dead and the phone shut down?? I went into the battery use thing that came up with the low battery alert, and it was about 90% usage by the browser???? I clicked it and it was just on the google search page, so what the.....? wifi is off, bluetooth is off, but the browser is apparently draining my battery sitting there doing nothing. this happen to anyone else or any ideas??

gentlefury

Reaction score
I've had an interesting issue today that I haven't had in the few weeks I've had my Droid. I passed out on the couch last night and didn't put it on the charger, and I thought it was around half on the battery, but I woke up and it was off and wouldn't turn on. I had left the wifi on, so it made sense, but I put it on the charger for a bit in the morning and when I got to work, so it was back up over half when I unplugged it about 4 hours ago. Haven't really messed with it much, and just got back to work and pulled it out and the battery was pretty much dead and the phone shut down?? I went into the battery use thing that came up with the low battery alert, and it was about 90% usage by the browser???? I clicked it and it was just on the google search page, so what the.....? wifi is off, bluetooth is off, but the browser is apparently draining my battery sitting there doing nothing. this happen to anyone else or any ideas??

yup, google search page has near me. If you are using dolphin it doesn't work which means it will leave the satelite link on all the time trying to get near me now to work...therefore killing your battery.

OP
J

jabeez

Reaction score
I thought about that, but I generally don't use Dolphin, just the stock browser, and I've never had this happen before. Weird. I wish there was a way to completely exit some apps, I don't use a task killer but I do check the stock running services app from time to time, and the browser doesn't show up in there even though it is apparently running.

OP
J

jabeez

Reaction score
happened again

last night I fell asleep around 1:30 without putting it on the dock and it had probably at least 70% battery left, woke up about 7 and it was off, battery dead???? WTH, I've not charged overnight a few times before and it's lasted the whole next day with moderate use. I'm guessing it is the "near me now" which is keeping the GPS on, but why just now all the sudden? guess it truly is Linux-based, weird stuff just randomly happens, then won't, then might again, etc......I say this (somewhat) lovingly as a Linux user, but stuff like this can get pretty irritating.............

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I used to "exit out" of my browser by hitting the back button, and sometimes if the google page doesn't fully load the gps gets left on. I think that is what killed it for me once. I've since gotten into the habit of just hitting the home button and letting the browser be.