ok I tried steps 1-5 and this is what I got after ./rage*.bin

[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743
[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[*] RLIMIT_NPROC={3815, 3815}
[*] searching for abd ...
[-] cannot find abd: No such file or directory

Any ideas what's wrong?

I made sure I had the rage files in the download file in my sd card too

I get the same error at the same place on the droid x. I just updated to 2.2 today. My system version is: 2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US. Is that the same as others who where successful?

I checked my tmp directory and the file is there. I'll take any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Pulled the old windows trick: When all else fails, reboot. Children spawning this time. :)

Last edited:

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
Great post!!! I am new to Android and wanted to root my DX. I used your tutorial and did the terminal on the phone option which worked great! I downloaded Rom Manager and backed up my current ROM. Can anyone give me any advice as what steps I can take going forward to protect my phone from getting bricked or how I can keep backups, apps, etc. as ways to un-brick or set my phone back to factory in case of any error that I might inadvertently cause? Also, now what options do I have for running other ROMS and themes...I have browsed these forums and seen some really interesting themes and would like to try some. Can anyone point me in the direction of some tutorials or other posts with tips and tricks? Thank you to everyone on this forum for their patience with all including myself.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Great post!!! I am new to Android and wanted to root my DX. I used your tutorial and did the terminal on the phone option which worked great! I downloaded Rom Manager and backed up my current ROM. Can anyone give me any advice as what steps I can take going forward to protect my phone from getting bricked or how I can keep backups, apps, etc. as ways to un-brick or set my phone back to factory in case of any error that I might inadvertently cause? Also, now what options do I have for running other ROMS and themes...I have browsed these forums and seen some really interesting themes and would like to try some. Can anyone point me in the direction of some tutorials or other posts with tips and tricks? Thank you to everyone on this forum for their patience with all including myself.

You will need to grab the 2.2 SBF. Google is your friend on that one. If you have serious issues you will need to use that to get your phone back to working order. Also I noticed you did not mention that you had bootstrap recovery. You will want to back your current rom up with that as ROM Manager will not back up stock. Look in the DROID X section for ROMs that you can install.

Try searching for keywords in the forums and you should be able to find pretty much any thing about the droid X.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

rootzwiki has the 2.2 sbf. and tutorials for ROMs and themes will be usually on the first post of the thread. you can also take backups you made and put them on ur desktop for the added protection.

droidx43210

Reaction score
errors in commands

Everything works great until I get to the chmod 4755 /system/bin/su and the chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox then I get an error saying no file or directory. What do I do? Droid x 2.2

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
You will need to grab the 2.2 SBF. Google is your friend on that one. If you have serious issues you will need to use that to get your phone back to working order. Also I noticed you did not mention that you had bootstrap recovery. You will want to back your current rom up with that as ROM Manager will not back up stock. Look in the DROID X section for ROMs that you can install.

Try searching for keywords in the forums and you should be able to find pretty much any thing about the droid X.

Thank you very much for the information...the support here is unreal!

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
rootzwiki has the 2.2 sbf. and tutorials for ROMs and themes will be usually on the first post of the thread. you can also take backups you made and put them on ur desktop for the added protection.

Thank you very much for the quick post and info. I appreciate everyone's help and knowledge.

BeefGj

Reaction score
Giving this Step2 Option A a try. Getting stuck at the ./rage*.bin step, where I get: "Cannot find adb: No such file or directory"

Saw in above posts a couple others got this, and rebooting seemed to fix. So I tried that a couple times, but still getting stuck. Tried rebooting both by holding down the power button and "powering off" and also with a battery pull. (is there a difference?) Still see much running when I go to settings, applications, manage applications, running tab. Is there some way to do more of a "safe mode" type startup that might fix this?

Did I miss some step where I need to grab some "adb" ?

Also, the only step that I did a little differently, was grabbing the rageagainsthecage.zip with my PC, extracting to /sdcard/download. That didn't screw me up, did it? Thanks for any help.

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
Giving this Step2 Option A a try. Getting stuck at the ./rage*.bin step, where I get: "Cannot find adb: No such file or directory"

Saw in above posts a couple others got this, and rebooting seemed to fix. So I tried that a couple times, but still getting stuck. Tried rebooting both by holding down the power button and "powering off" and also with a battery pull. (is there a difference?) Still see much running when I go to settings, applications, manage applications, running tab. Is there some way to do more of a "safe mode" type startup that might fix this?

Did I miss some step where I need to grab some "adb" ?

Also, the only step that I did a little differently, was grabbing the rageagainsthecage.zip with my PC, extracting to /sdcard/download. That didn't screw me up, did it? Thanks for any help.

I hate to waste the space, but you havent done anything wrong. I had the same issue 2 days ago when I rooted my DX. There was a setting in the phone that I had to enable...after the change, everything workded great; I have been looking for it for the last 30 minutes so that I could pass it on to you. Hang on a bit more and hopefully I can find it. I have done so much setting changes in the last 2 days that it's all kind of blended together. Sorry. I'll find it and post as soon as I do. Hang in there.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
@Razorbackfan; could the setting be the one to enable usb debugging? On the droid 1, it's like this:

menu -> settings -> applications -> developement -> enable usb debugging [check box]

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
@Razorbackfan; could the setting be the one to enable usb debugging? On the droid 1, it's like this:

menu -> settings -> applications -> developement -> enable usb debugging [check box]

Most DEFINATELY! That is the only option I can think of that I came accross. I have scowered my phone looking for every option available (coming accross some pretty neat options I didnt know existed) that I might have changed. The enable USB debug option is the only one that makes half sense. GOOD CALL Teddy!

BeefGj

Reaction score
Teddy, Razor, and Fur, THANKS! Yep, that was it. dancedroid
Now that you mention that, I've seen that step on other rooting posts, but am too noob to put it all together. Yep, that would be a good addition. I am now rooted! (I think. Too noob to know for sure yet, but sounds like I will be getting yelled at by the wife for screwing around on my new rooted phone all weekend...) Thanks again to everyone!

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
Glad to see you got it working! Now have fun with it. Teddy, great job getting that figured out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App