1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them

Discussion in 'Rescue Squad Guides' started by christim, Sep 12, 2010.

1. christim

christim Super Moderator

My second attempt at a guide...

None of this I came up with by myself. Some of it has been posted and re-posted on numerous sites on the web. I'm just going to try and put it all together so it makes some sense to those of us new to rooting as well as to those of us who have been around for a while. My other guide has numerous options for the Droid 1 to root and unroot. The intent of this one is to cover multiple phones.

I would like to thank B16, Phoxus, Birdman, TheDeathly, XDA, and rootzwiki as some of what is in this post stems from folks in those locations, in some way or another. Actually there are probably far to many to thank but if someone big was missed, let me know.

Let's start if off the same way:
    I do not, nor does DroidForums.net, warrant the information contained here within this post. It is being provided as is without warranty of any kind, including without limitation any warranty of design, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and without warranty as to the performance or results you may obtain by using this information. You expressly will not hold anyone, other than yourself, responsible for any direct or indirect actions, and the results thereof, that you may take as a result of following the information contained within this post, the thread it is contained within, the forum on which it resides, and the entire internet which makes it available upon unto you, yourself, and your heirs. If you brick your phone it is your fault and yours alone. If you do manage such a feat you can rest assured that you will be honored as one of the few who managed to manipulate your beloved Droid into such an object and humankind will continue to tell the tale of your actions down throughout the ages while huddled around campfires for eons to come.

Step 1: If your phone is in this list, move to step 2. Otherwise, move along, there isn't much to see

The List
    Purpose of this post:

Step 2 option A:

Root your phone without your computer - This would be the path someone on a Mac could take or someone without access to a computer.
    This works for the DX and D2 phone, won't work for the D1

Step 2 Option B
    for the Samsung Fascinate

Step 2 - Option C (same tools but using with the SDK and ADB. also included is how to unroot using sbf files. A Windows computer is needed for these steps.)

The Droid.Co Downloader application is a single file that lets you grab the other files, contained within packages, needed to root your phone without RSD Lite and unroot your phone with RSD Lite. There are packages, that also contain instructions, for the Droid 1, Droid 2, and Droid X available through this tool.
    Step 2 - Option D(Suggested by Spaz33g) I need to remove root tools from my DX, D2 phone. Although it will not remove all tools that require root to run, it will get you unrooted enough to take an update and be able to root with any method after the update. The reason this has become an issue is that the recent dx update was unrooting users but leaving super user in their system/apps and caused one click methods to fail. (added: 12-21-2010)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. christim

christim Super Moderator

Just some of my thoughts...feedback welcome

I'm contemplating a one or two scripts that folks could run as a Step 2 Option C.
    If someone makes and tests such a script I'll add it in. If not I'll eventually get around to doing so myself. It will save folks a bunch of retyping.

I think we can expand the list of phones. How many phones does this rageinthecage-arm5.bin file work with?
  3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    It looks pretty good, Christim. I would like to stress to anyone having an issue with Step 2 Option A that the .jpg file that comes down is actually a renamed .zip or .rar file that contains all the data the program just downloaded. There are instructions in there that tell you what to do. If I find the time, I'll start messing around with it and see if the instructions need clarification or anything, but so far, that's all I know you'll need. :)
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Looks promising. IMHO installing busybox should go right in the same guide and be done right after rooting. Just my humble .02 worth.
  5. christim

christim Super Moderator

There are manual methods of getting busybox installed. Last time I used searched the market and installed it via an app. I've had it come along for the ride in various roms in the past as well.

Of course the next step after all that is to do a backup.
  6. furbearingmammal

Busybox Installer. Yeah -- and it keeps you updated, too, so it's good to have.
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Ahhh, but busybox is included, so never mind. Now to figure out why they set a suid bit for it where the other manual method left that bit alone . .
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

OK after further perusal, here's my wonderments/thoughts. I now have seen this rageinthecage* file all over. Does any one yet know EXACTLY what this file does? And I still wonder why we give a slightly less set of permissions to 'su', 4755 as opposed to 6755 and much more permissions to busybox setting a bit that pretty much gives busybox 'root' access when we never had to do that before. I.E. busybox only needed 0755 as opposed to now, in this guide, 4755.

Does anyone care to answer here, or what?
  9. furbearingmammal

Entirely speculation on my part, but would that be an OS issue or a hardware issue? IE the Fascinate would need higher permission levels than the Droid? Logically it doesn't make sense, I'm aware, but I like to eliminate the improbable.
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

No entirely an OS issue, 'rooting' the phone has nothing to do with the hardware whatsoever. I guess I'm just wondering if it would work if the permissions for su and busybox were set like in motocache1's thread, 6755 and 755 respectively. Also this doesn't finish the busybox install so that you don't have to type 'busybox' before every busybox command.

Just my observations.
  11. furbearingmammal

Anyone seen the FRG83 update for the Nexus 1? It closes the Universal AndRoot loophole. If the D1/2/X/Fascinate sees that then we're back to ADB and/or MotoCache1's method.
  12. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

From what motocache said earlier this week his method may not work either if that is coming down the pipe.

-Droid Does
  13. portermac

portermac New Member

I am wondering why a can't download the three files. Do I need to sign in or something?
  14. furbearingmammal

@Guidot

Didn't hear about that. Maybe I need to get back in touch with him.
  15. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

@fbm
    You replied in the post he made in labs. Has to do with replacing the HAB?
    Maybe I don't understand but it sounds scary enough!

-Droid Does
  16. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

FYI fbm, this IS the adb method. It uses Steve Krahmer's rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file. Congrats on your new status, btw.
  17. furbearingmammal

@Guidot

Oh, was that for the Droid X and the signing keys? Yeah, that's not good news. Just goes to show, if you're going to root, root NOW! Every update may be the last rootable one! :)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  18. furbearingmammal

Thanks for the 'grats! :)

So when that update rolls down it might close yet another loophole, and possibly Moto's as well if they really try to lock us down. Good to know.
  19. christim

christim Super Moderator

No, but the site doesn't like our phones. The solution is below and updated in the op, thanks for bringing it up!

Couple of items:

The FTP website where the RS files are hosted does not, at this moment, let your phone download files. grrr.

I've updated the first post. I switched the option blocks around so the root-without-a-computer comes first.

There is a direct download of a zip file now that contains all the files needed along with directions on how to make use of them, all with just using your phone.

For Teddy:
    I looked at the instructions within the droid.co exe file and they all set SU and Busybox to 4755 so I copied and pasted those instructions then modified the steps to use terminal emulator instead of needing busybox. As you noted, all credit for the rageagainstthecage exploit goes to Sebastian Krahmer at C skills.

If he should have used different permissions I will change them here in the OP for the phone-only install, but his text files are now everywhere with the 4755 settings.

Is the Rage Against The Cage exploit what the folks at blog.23corner.com are using within UniversalAndroot? I sort of wondered if that was the case.

And bummer if they are closing the door on this. They should let us all be and go make cooler native apps for our phones instead. They block, the community unblocks, and round and round it goes :)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  20. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Chris, as far as I can tell, the UniversalAndroot uses the expliot (basically a rip from the first DMUpdater11, just like easyroot) via sql and not this one. The link that "log" gave in the second post of my thread asking about the permissions gives a really good in depth breakdown of the two latest non RSD lite methods.

As far as the permissions, I am still on a fence about that. I just don't see why we have run busybox as root now, when we never had to before. I just don't think I trust it, yet.
Search tags for this page
adri
can you root an encrypted phone
does root & unroot result in loss of data?
droid.co downloader.exe

multiple phones root them unroot them

rage against the cage android
rage against the cage android download
rage against the cage download
rage against the cage exploit download
rage against the cage root
rage against the cage script
rage agunst the cage download
rageagainstthecage root
rageagainstthecage script download
universal root without pc