Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My second attempt at a guide...

None of this I came up with by myself. Some of it has been posted and re-posted on numerous sites on the web. I'm just going to try and put it all together so it makes some sense to those of us new to rooting as well as to those of us who have been around for a while. My other guide has numerous options for the Droid 1 to root and unroot. The intent of this one is to cover multiple phones.

I would like to thank B16, Phoxus, Birdman, TheDeathly, XDA, and rootzwiki as some of what is in this post stems from folks in those locations, in some way or another. Actually there are probably far to many to thank but if someone big was missed, let me know.

Let's start if off the same way:
I do not, nor does DroidForums.net, warrant the information contained here within this post. It is being provided as is without warranty of any kind, including without limitation any warranty of design, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and without warranty as to the performance or results you may obtain by using this information. You expressly will not hold anyone, other than yourself, responsible for any direct or indirect actions, and the results thereof, that you may take as a result of following the information contained within this post, the thread it is contained within, the forum on which it resides, and the entire internet which makes it available upon unto you, yourself, and your heirs. If you brick your phone it is your fault and yours alone. If you do manage such a feat you can rest assured that you will be honored as one of the few who managed to manipulate your beloved Droid into such an object and humankind will continue to tell the tale of your actions down throughout the ages while huddled around campfires for eons to come.

Step 1: If your phone is in this list, move to step 2. Otherwise, move along, there isn't much to see

The List
Motorola Droid 1
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid X
Samsung Fascinate
Purpose of this post:
It is always a good idea to have a way back before embarking on a journey. That coupled with the same method working for multiple phones struck me as an opportunity to put this together.

Anyone wanting to hack their phones should know how to do this: From a stock phone > root it > make a back up > make changes > make another backup > screw it up > restore with back up or by going to stock > root it > restore the backup.

Step 2 option A:

Root your phone without your computer - This would be the path someone on a Mac could take or someone without access to a computer.
This works for the DX and D2 phone, won't work for the D1
  • Visit the market and get the free Android Terminal Emulator installed.
  • Visit the market and make sure you have Astro installed.
  • Grab rageagainsthecage.zip with your phone
  • Use Astro to navigate to the /sdcard/download folder
  • Long press on the rageagainstthecage.zip file and "extract to this directory"
  • The 4 files, from the zip file should now be in the /sdcard/download folder (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, su, superuser.apk and busybox.
What are we going to do?
Steps 1- 5: Change to the /tmp folder on your phone, copy the file to the tmp directory, change its permissions. run it, and wait.

Step 6: make sure we can proceed

Steps 7 - 14: make system read-writable, copy the superuser. su and busybox files to where they need to go, use chmode to change their permissions, then make the system folder read-only, and exit Terminal Emulator.

If you want to know more about the commands being used here: cd, cp, chmod, mount, and exit are all Linux commands you can look up on your favorite search engine.

Okay, let's do it - type the blue parts in Terminal Emulator
  1. cd /tmp
  2. cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/
  3. chmod 777 rage*.bin
  4. ./rage*.bin
    This will take some time, just wait for the $ to show up so you know it is done.
  5. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Terminal Emulator > and Force Stop the application
  6. Sanity check - Go into Terminal Emulator again and make sure you have a # symbol as a prompt. If so you are ready to proceed.
  7. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  8. cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
  9. cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
  10. cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
  11. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  12. chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
  13. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  14. exit

Step 2 Option B
for the Samsung Fascinate

Fascinate

The info at the above link means you can also use that method with your computer or use Step 2 option A for rooting your phone without a computer.

unroot the samsung linkage/info is needed

Step 2 - Option C (same tools but using with the SDK and ADB. also included is how to unroot using sbf files. A Windows computer is needed for these steps.)

The Droid.Co Downloader application is a single file that lets you grab the other files, contained within packages, needed to root your phone without RSD Lite and unroot your phone with RSD Lite. There are packages, that also contain instructions, for the Droid 1, Droid 2, and Droid X available through this tool.
  • Visit this website: RS-Files
  • Look in the rootfiles folder
  • Grab Droid.Co_Downloader.exe and put it in a location you can find later.
  • Run the program and choose your phone to download the files you will be working with.
  • There are various file compression tools out there. I use 7-zip (7-zip.org).
  • Use the 7-Zip (or your own program's) File Manager to browse to the Droid.Co_Downloader
    location and look for the droid 1.jpg, droid 2.jpg, or droid x.jpg file in the same folder and double click on it.
  • Once you've opened up this encrypted image there are sbf files to unroot and 3 files to use with the included instructions to root your phone.
  • For the D1 and D2 the password you enter is rootzwiki
  • Due to Motorola's cease and desist orders floating around the web it is Droidforums.Net's policy to not pass out the DX password, you are on your own there.
Step 2 - Option D(Suggested by Spaz33g) I need to remove root tools from my DX, D2 phone. Although it will not remove all tools that require root to run, it will get you unrooted enough to take an update and be able to root with any method after the update. The reason this has become an issue is that the recent dx update was unrooting users but leaving super user in their system/apps and caused one click methods to fail. (added: 12-21-2010)
Method to remove Superuser, su, and busybox.

1. su
  2. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  3. rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
  4. rm /system/bin/su
  5. rm /system/bin/busybox
  6. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  7. reboot
christim-albums-images-picture1594-sprecovery-entrance-screen.png

Last edited:
OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just some of my thoughts...feedback welcome

I'm contemplating a one or two scripts that folks could run as a Step 2 Option C.
If someone makes and tests such a script I'll add it in. If not I'll eventually get around to doing so myself. It will save folks a bunch of retyping.

I think we can expand the list of phones. How many phones does this rageinthecage-arm5.bin file work with?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It looks pretty good, Christim. I would like to stress to anyone having an issue with Step 2 Option A that the .jpg file that comes down is actually a renamed .zip or .rar file that contains all the data the program just downloaded. There are instructions in there that tell you what to do. If I find the time, I'll start messing around with it and see if the instructions need clarification or anything, but so far, that's all I know you'll need. :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Looks promising. IMHO installing busybox should go right in the same guide and be done right after rooting. Just my humble .02 worth.

OP
christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Looks promising. IMHO installing busybox should go right in the same guide and be done right after rooting. Just my humble .02 worth.

There are manual methods of getting busybox installed. Last time I used searched the market and installed it via an app. I've had it come along for the ride in various roms in the past as well.

Of course the next step after all that is to do a backup.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Ahhh, but busybox is included, so never mind. Now to figure out why they set a suid bit for it where the other manual method left that bit alone . .

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
OK after further perusal, here's my wonderments/thoughts. I now have seen this rageinthecage* file all over. Does any one yet know EXACTLY what this file does? And I still wonder why we give a slightly less set of permissions to 'su', 4755 as opposed to 6755 and much more permissions to busybox setting a bit that pretty much gives busybox 'root' access when we never had to do that before. I.E. busybox only needed 0755 as opposed to now, in this guide, 4755.

Does anyone care to answer here, or what?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Entirely speculation on my part, but would that be an OS issue or a hardware issue? IE the Fascinate would need higher permission levels than the Droid? Logically it doesn't make sense, I'm aware, but I like to eliminate the improbable.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
No entirely an OS issue, 'rooting' the phone has nothing to do with the hardware whatsoever. I guess I'm just wondering if it would work if the permissions for su and busybox were set like in motocache1's thread, 6755 and 755 respectively. Also this doesn't finish the busybox install so that you don't have to type 'busybox' before every busybox command.

Just my observations.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Anyone seen the FRG83 update for the Nexus 1? It closes the Universal AndRoot loophole. If the D1/2/X/Fascinate sees that then we're back to ADB and/or MotoCache1's method.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what motocache said earlier this week his method may not work either if that is coming down the pipe.

-Droid Does

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@fbm
You replied in the post he made in labs. Has to do with replacing the HAB?
Maybe I don't understand but it sounds scary enough!

-Droid Does