Motorola Shadow

Droids

Reaction score
Is there something in place that keeps someone from just paying the $200 (after rebate) to move from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2 or Shadow? Seems to me you could just walk in, upgrade your phone for $2-300, and begin a new 2 year contract. Why would anyone be required to pay retail just because you're moving from one phone to another? If I have to pay retail, there won't be any 2yr contract. Yeah, I know Verizon is subsidizing the discounted cost of my Droid 1 over the term of the contract, but these days I don't think I can go 2 years between upgrades anymore. I know I'm getting a Shadow or D2 this summer even if I pay retail. I'll sell the current Droid for a couple hundred to offset some of the cost.

My last phone was on a one year contract, all others before that were no contract. At any rate, from now on I'm either no contract or 1 year contract.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Is there something in place that keeps someone from just paying the $200 (after rebate) to move from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2 or Shadow? Seems to me you could just walk in, upgrade your phone for $2-300, and begin a new 2 year contract. Why would anyone be required to pay retail just because you're moving from one phone to another? If I have to pay retail, there won't be any 2yr contract. Yeah, I know Verizon is subsidizing the discounted cost of my Droid 1 over the term of the contract, but these days I don't think I can go 2 years between upgrades anymore. I know I'm getting a Shadow or D2 this summer even if I pay retail. I'll sell the current Droid for a couple hundred to offset some of the cost.

My last phone was on a one year contract, all others before that were no contract. At any rate, from now on I'm either no contract or 1 year contract.

I think it is basically them telling you that you are not eligible for an upgrade because you haven't hit a year in your current contract, or are close to your NE2. Don't actually know if it is in writing anywhere in the contract or not. Who reads those damn things anyway.

I dunno if I am gonna pay full retail or add a line. Either way I was planning on selling my Droid but I think the release of the D2 will shoot the prices of used Droids down even lower than the Incredible did. Like I said I am hoping for some kind of early upgrade option for current Droid users even though there prolly isn't much of a chance of that.

Jon: I would imagine that if you pay full retail you just put that one on in place of your current one and continue your contract as it stands. No way I would let them up me for two more years after just shelling full retail.

Droids

Reaction score
I'll be stuck paying retail to upgrade my phone this summer, while remaining on Verizon's contract for another 18 months? The ETF is not an issue as I don't plan to switch carriers. Sorry, this is one area I'm a noob at, so throwing the question out there. I've always avoided the contracts and paid the difference. I only signed up for a 2yr contract this time around because Verizon didn't cripple the phone. Using BitPim to load a frigging ringtone pissed me off to no end.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be stuck paying retail to upgrade my phone this summer, while remaining on Verizon's contract for another 18 months? The ETF is not an issue as I don't plan to switch carriers. Sorry, this is one area I'm a noob at, so throwing the question out there. I've always avoided the contracts and paid the difference. I only signed up for a 2yr contract this time around because Verizon didn't cripple the phone. Using BitPim to load a frigging ringtone pissed me off to no end.

Egh...SO glad I don't have to do that anymore. BitPim for mac was screwy when I was using it.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Ya know one thing I have been curious about and hasn't been discussed is the construction of the Shadow. A few people have had their hands on one. I'm wondering if it has a sturdy, solid feel like the Droid or a more lighter, plastic feel like the DI and Eris.

bizzshow

Reaction score
I've heard its lighter than the Droid but better made than the incredible

nyijedi

Reaction score
I know this is all speculation, but is the general consensus that BOTH the Shadow and the Droid 2 are going to have crappy motoblur on it? Motorola has taken long enough updating the original Droid, which has stock Android, so I'm not optimistic for them updating their motoblur devices in a timely fashion.

darklipslide

Reaction score
Any word on if GSM counterparts for the Shadow and Droid 2 will show up as well?

Droids

Reaction score
I know this is all speculation, but is the general consensus that BOTH the Shadow and the Droid 2 are going to have crappy motoblur on it? Motorola has taken long enough updating the original Droid, which has stock Android, so I'm not optimistic for them updating their motoblur devices in a timely fashion.
General consensus is that the Shadow will definitely have Blur on it, but it can be turned off, or hidden. Droid 2 is expected to be vanilla Android.

nerdbox08

Reaction score

We've had two updates and are going to get another one soon all within seven months and you are saying it's slow? God I would hate to wait on you in a restaurant.

nyijedi

Reaction score
We've had two updates and are going to get another one soon all within seven months and you are saying it's slow? God I would hate to wait on you in a restaurant.

First of all, I'm not confident that we'll have the 2.2 update within the next week, so it's not accurate to say that we will have received 2 updates in a 7 month time period.

Second, Motorola didn't exactly handle the 2.1 update in the best manner, with all the incorrect ETAs.

Third, I'd like to say that I generally DO find the update process for the Droid to be acceptable, but you can bet it won't be this speedy with a skinned device.

Fourth, all of the reviews I've read re: MotoBLUR have been less than stellar. If I want to slow down my system with all of that extra social networking crap and themes, I should be able to do it as an option.

The original Droid was successful with stock Android. Why is Motorola messing with a good thing?

bizzshow

Reaction score
Well a obviously you know nothing the droid2 will launch without moto blur. B no one has tested blur on 2.0 and above c who knows how it will effect updates etc. So sit back relax and wait for info

nerdbox08

Reaction score
First of all, I'm not confident that we'll have the 2.2 update within the next week, so it's not accurate to say that we will have received 2 updates in a 7 month time period.

Second, Motorola didn't exactly handle the 2.1 update in the best manner, with all the incorrect ETAs.

Third, I'd like to say that I generally DO find the update process for the Droid to be acceptable, but you can bet it won't be this speedy with a skinned device.

Fourth, all of the reviews I've read re: MotoBLUR have been less than stellar. If I want to slow down my system with all of that extra social networking crap and themes, I should be able to do it as an option.

The original Droid was successful with stock Android. Why is Motorola messing with a good thing?

I agree that motoblur is ****, but that wasn't my point.

2.0.1 & 2.1 = two updates. And when 2.2 comes that will make three.

I do agree 2.1 was a debacle but we got it. I realize in or would of instant gratification people expect things NOW, but the phone is still fairly rock steady.

I can get some functions like bluetooth need to be fixed , but flash in a patch like 2.1.1, instead if making a whole new version.

Besides, they need to get the same version out to everyone and stop having the fragmentation.

joker402

Reaction score
Is there something in place that keeps someone from just paying the $200 (after rebate) to move from the Droid 1 to the Droid 2 or Shadow? Seems to me you could just walk in, upgrade your phone for $2-300, and begin a new 2 year contract. Why would anyone be required to pay retail just because you're moving from one phone to another?
With a verizon contract you have to wait to be eligble either at the 12 month mark (annual upgrade on lines 59.99 or higher) or the 20 month mark. The reason you cant just walk in and start a new contract is so that people dont just do this every time they want a new phone and turn around and sell the phone for a profit.

If they alowed this Id we walking in every month getting a blackberry curve2 for free signing a contract and then selling the phone for $350 every time.