Motorola Shadow

bizzshow

Reaction score
Well as of the last time I checked the gpu is better than both the 3630 and 3440. But they could have found a way to make the gpu in the 3630 run more efficiently having It put out its max more of the time. After seeing their are more CPU specific test. I would say it rates that higher than the gpu. Then again I know very little

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
But with the humming bird in the Samsung galaxy s being clockef higher and with a better gpu proven it has to be ninja blur or a different processor used

Exactly my point. The Galaxy S runs a Hummingbird which uses a tweaked Cortex A-8 at 1 Ghz and supposedly has a higher end GPU than the OMAP 3430. Taking that into account it just goes one step further to prove that the Quadrant benchmark weighs the 2D/3D Graphics suite higher than the others.
I guess I'm not following you. hows does a processor (Hummingbird) run at a higher clock speed and higher end GPU not post equal if not better results than the T.I?

Your hypothesis fails in this scenario.

There is something more to the Xtreme. It's either not running the TI OMAP or there is something running underneath 2.1 that is giving it these monstrous bench scores or both.

Last edited:

bizzshow

Reaction score
But with the humming bird in the Samsung galaxy s being clockef higher and with a better gpu proven it has to be ninja blur or a different processor used

Exactly my point. The Galaxy S runs a Hummingbird which uses a tweaked Cortex A-8 at 1 Ghz and supposedly has a higher end GPU than the OMAP 3430. Taking that into account it just goes one step further to prove that the Quadrant benchmark weighs the 2D/3D Graphics suite higher than the others.
I guess I'm not following you. hows does a processor (Hummingbird) run at a higher clock speed and higher end GPU not post equal if not better results than the T.I?

Your hypothesis fails in this scenario.

There is something more to the Xtreme. It's either not running the TI OMAP or there is something running underneath 2.1 that is giving it these monstrous bench scores or both.

That's what I've been trying to say. It's either not running the 3630, its running the 3630 much higher than 728 or so. Or they have software that's increasing the speed

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well as of the last time I checked the gpu is better than both the 3630 and 3440. But they could have found a way to make the gpu in the 3630 run more efficiently having It put out its max more of the time. After seeing their are more CPU specific test. I would say it rates that higher than the gpu. Then again I know very little

Well lets take the Hummingbird as the example. The OMAP 3430 in the Droid @ 1.2 Ghz the Droid scores approx. 700. Now that would mean that a Droid at 1 Ghz would score approx. 580 - 600 because the test scales pretty linearly with the same architecture.

1 Ghz Droid = 580 - 600

1 Ghz Hummingbird = approx. 850 - 875

Knowing that they are both Cortex A-8 cores @ 1 Ghz the only difference is the GPU. Again taking Samsung at their word that the Hummingbird has a better GPU than an OMAP 3430, there you have it. The best benchmark to run would be one like the LinPack or something similar that tests only Floating Point or Integer AND Floating Point operations. Similar to the Spec CPU tests.

bizzshow

Reaction score
To me the issue lays with the over 300 points or so the shadow demolished the Samsung by. Now some could blame could be layed on a resource hog skin layered on top of Android. Some of it could be the shadows upgraded chipset. All I know Is that this phone is turning out to be a beast. And I want it. I guess we won't know how its getting those scores until we get a hands on. I like conversions like this gets the brain going. But ill point this out my Droid with jit running at 1.2 is in the mid 8s their has to be a lot more than gpu at work here

Darkseider

Reaction score
To me the issue lays with the over 300 points or so the shadow demolished the Samsung by. Now some could blame could be layed on a resource hog skin layered on top of Android. Some of it could be the shadows upgraded chipset. All I know Is that this phone is turning out to be a beast. And I want it. I guess we won't know how its getting those scores until we get a hands on. I like conversions like this gets the brain going. But ill point this out my Droid with jit running at 1.2 is in the mid 8s their has to be a lot more than gpu at work here

I would love to believe that the OMAP 3630 is a monster as being portrayed. But according to this article TI die-shrinks OMAP3 - News - Linux for Devices it is really nice but not what that benchmark is showing. Something is definitely amiss here and what it is will be discovered once the Shadow/Extreme is released to public.

sroach23

Reaction score
anyone see anything about the glass, mainly will it have gorilla glass? i love how my original droid is scratch free without any kind of protection since December.

bizzshow

Reaction score
I think it will have guerilla glass but don't quote me on that. And trust me I know those scores have to be more than just an omap 3630 maybe a 4430 or dalvik turbo but not a 3630. Come July/ August time frame we will know what the deal is

thathxckid

Reaction score
I don't know how true this is but someone was saying that the shadow will have two processers. One for video and games and another for everything else. Don't hold me to this but something I have just heard. If this is true ill have one 100% but as of right now I might hold off. I still love my oc droid.

bizzshow

Reaction score
The Droid has two processors the CPU and gpu which this will have. Now if your saying a dual core CPU I have no idea but that would be nice

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't think we have the battery technology to be putting dual-core anything that we're talking about in a mobile unit right now, this seems years in the making and a far shot at best. We only have 1cpu and 1gpu and the lot of us can't make it a full day without a charge. Imagine half the processing efficiency coupled with these battery eating displays. :icon_eek:

bizzshow

Reaction score
Well with the technology ti is supposed to implement. Smaller size cores only used when needed etc we may be ok

Darkseider

Reaction score
I don't think we have the battery technology to be putting dual-core anything that we're talking about in a mobile unit right now, this seems years in the making and a far shot at best. We only have 1cpu and 1gpu and the lot of us can't make it a full day without a charge. Imagine half the processing efficiency coupled with these battery eating displays. :icon_eek:

T.I. has already stated a dual core OMAP 4430 @ 800 Mhz would produce 3x to 4x the performance of a single core OMAP 3430 at an equal or lower power usage.

bizzshow

Reaction score

T.I. has already stated a dual core OMAP 4430 @ 800 Mhz would produce 3x to 4x the performance of a single core OMAP 3430 at an equal or lower power usage.

And that's what I call progress. Fingers crossed for this to make it into the shadow