Motorola Droid RAZR HD Seems To Be Suffering From Screen Issue?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Xplorer4x4 said:
You might be surprised to know your Toyota has more American parts in it then a Ford, well atleast when it comes to a Ford Crown Vic vs a Toyota Camary, and I assume that applies across the board. My brother in law is in charge of logistics for a Toyota plant so I think he would know.

This is actually very true...Toyota is the most American made car there is. So, in essence, when you buy Toyota, you are also supporting jobs in the good ole USA and supporting our economy.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't keep an open mind about things like this.. there's a lot of third party stuff in phones and its up to the company who slaps its name on it to do its due diligence.. when my "gorilla glass" screen has a scratch in it... I don't blame gorilla glass... I blame Motorola because I bought a motorola phone and they chose to add that to the product... same goes for any company whether its cars computers TVs or a microwave

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I hear your position but you must consider the facts... Quality control only works to the point at which something leaves the factory (and I am quite sure the above display didn't look like that ^ when it left the factory). If it fails after it leaves the factory, it is pure happenstance and yes, Motorola is ultimately responsible for repair...that wasn't my argument. My argument was that it's not Motorola's FAULT that the display failed, it's the OEM of the display and their manufacturing process. At the microscopic, nano size of the componentry in these devices, a speck of dust looks like a boulder. Just one minute fragment of a speck of dust is enough to mask a layer of the process and cause a junction to be weak, eventually giving way to resistance over time.

So again I say, let's have an open mind about this. If every phone off the line (or even a minimal percentage, 1%, 2%, etc.) had the problem above, THEN I would call on Motorola to investigate the problem, do a recall and repair all displays that failed, and even to replace all displays not failed but that came from that failed manufacturing process. Just today Toyota announced a recall of over 3 million vehicles for steering and another problem. The failures could easily be due to a part they purchased from another manufacturer, but they're taking the responsibility since it affects a significant sum of the vehicles. The screen above is the FIRST and ONLY screen I have seen that looks even remotely like it's failed coming from Motorola, so let's give credit where credit is due.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt it was new. It was most likely a refurb. This is pretty much the standard of every company. It would take them far to long to fix and repair your specific unit, so they send back another defective unit that was already repaired. Now it is not impossible that it was new, but not that likely in my experience.

This is true, you are right. Forgot about this aspect. All I know is my kids wont be playing with it anymore....lol.

About blaming Gorilla Glass breaking or scratching on Moto....I agree thats not where the blame should lie. I dont blame black splotches on my old Vita (new one doesnt have it!!! lol), my RAZR from last year (my Maxx HD doesnt have them either ) on Moto or Sony. Its a by product of Amoled screen technology.

When we start to learn about the different technologies in these phones, or any product...I dont think its fair to praise one specific tech of the phone and then turn around and blame the phone manufacture for something that goes wrong with some other specific tech. I have a cracked screen on my Rezound, Droid X1. I dont blame Moto or HTC. I just know and understand Gorilla Glass isnt indestructible. Found out yesterday glue might be what ppl see when they see black splotches. I'm assuming Amoled screens are thinner than LCDs so that may be why its only noticeable on Amoled screens.

For HDTV's....LCD, LED vs Plasma has pros n cons. I dont just fault or praise the TV manufacture...I fault or praise the screen technology also.

On the flip side....I can see blaming Moto for phones broken in half, screens broken in half cuz the RAZR was so thin. It didnt happen to me. I have read it did happen to some ppl. Anytime it was in my back pocket and I sat down, I felt it before I put all my weight down. Even then, its not like it was an epidemic of RAZR's broken in half...lol.

MattkPSU

Reaction score
Add me to the list of purple screen victims. It only happened once so far. I was outside, temp 40°F, with the phone pressed to my face. Reading this thread makes me worried. I switched from iphone4 and am starting to question if I made the right choice.

Tonik

Reaction score
Add me to the list of purple screen victims. It only happened once so far. I was outside, temp 40°F, with the phone pressed to my face. Reading this thread makes me worried. I switched from iphone4 and am starting to question if I made the right choice.

Don't panic. If it continues get a replacement from VZ. After three or four replacements you will get to pick a different model. I honestly feel that VZ does a very good job of taking care of hardware/software issues. Yea you got to jump through a few replacement cycles but in the end they step up.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
This is true, you are right. Forgot about this aspect. All I know is my kids wont be playing with it anymore....lol.

About blaming Gorilla Glass breaking or scratching on Moto....I agree thats not where the blame should lie. I dont blame black splotches on my old Vita (new one doesnt have it!!! lol), my RAZR from last year (my Maxx HD doesnt have them either ) on Moto or Sony. Its a by product of Amoled screen technology.

When we start to learn about the different technologies in these phones, or any product...I dont think its fair to praise one specific tech of the phone and then turn around and blame the phone manufacture for something that goes wrong with some other specific tech. I have a cracked screen on my Rezound, Droid X1. I dont blame Moto or HTC. I just know and understand Gorilla Glass isnt indestructible. Found out yesterday glue might be what ppl see when they see black splotches. I'm assuming Amoled screens are thinner than LCDs so that may be why its only noticeable on Amoled screens.

For HDTV's....LCD, LED vs Plasma has pros n cons. I dont just fault or praise the TV manufacture...I fault or praise the screen technology also.

On the flip side....I can see blaming Moto for phones broken in half, screens broken in half cuz the RAZR was so thin. It didnt happen to me. I have read it did happen to some ppl. Anytime it was in my back pocket and I sat down, I felt it before I put all my weight down. Even then, its not like it was an epidemic of RAZR's broken in half...lol.
Um, I am not sure what that had to do with the text you quoted since it was about OEMs typically replacing the device with a refurb, but I have to disagree with the last paragraph. It is users like us that drive OEMs to push devices thinner and lighter and faster. Personally, and I have said this before, when is thin TO thin?! You say the Razr is to thin, and this is Moto's fault? Yes Moto designed it thin, and generally speaking, the thinner you stretcher something, the weaker it becomes. This is like grade school science here. However, let's not even consider the basic science but rather basic common since imo. Your phone is not designed to be sat on, but it's Moto's fault that the device broke in 2 when hundred(s) of pounds of pressure where applied to the device? Bottom line you bought a thin device that was not designed for that kind of abuse, but you blame Moto? Sorry, I just don't see how they should take the blame on this one.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Um, I am not sure what that had to do with the text you quoted since it was about OEMs typically replacing the device with a refurb, but I have to disagree with the last paragraph. It is users like us that drive OEMs to push devices thinner and lighter and faster. Personally, and I have said this before, when is thin TO thin?! You say the Razr is to thin, and this is Moto's fault? Yes Moto designed it thin, and generally speaking, the thinner you stretcher something, the weaker it becomes. This is like grade school science here. However, let's not even consider the basic science but rather basic common since imo. Your phone is not designed to be sat on, but it's Moto's fault that the device broke in 2 when hundred(s) of pounds of pressure where applied to the device? Bottom line you bought a thin device that was not designed for that kind of abuse, but you blame Moto? Sorry, I just don't see how they should take the blame on this one.

Only the first sentence was responding to what you posted...lol. The rest was meant for the thread in general.

And you are right, we dont have to put phones in our back pockets. Its just I can understand ppl blaming Moto for that.....vs. blaming them for a scratched or cracked screen when dropping the phone.

_Poki_

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has posted something similiar. I just got my phone tonight and I got that purplish haze except it wasnt the entire screen it was just on the "Circles" widget. The entire 4x2 rectangle had the purple haze while the rest of the screen was perfectly normal. Once I clicked on the screen everything went back to normal. This purple haze happened when I unlocked the phone.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I hear your position but you must consider the facts... Quality control only works to the point at which something leaves the factory (and I am quite sure the above display didn't look like that ^ when it left the factory). If it fails after it leaves the factory, it is pure happenstance and yes, Motorola is ultimately responsible for repair...that wasn't my argument. My argument was that it's not Motorola's FAULT that the display failed, it's the OEM of the display and their manufacturing process. At the microscopic, nano size of the componentry in these devices, a speck of dust looks like a boulder. Just one minute fragment of a speck of dust is enough to mask a layer of the process and cause a junction to be weak, eventually giving way to resistance over time.

So again I say, let's have an open mind about this. If every phone off the line (or even a minimal percentage, 1%, 2%, etc.) had the problem above, THEN I would call on Motorola to investigate the problem, do a recall and repair all displays that failed, and even to replace all displays not failed but that came from that failed manufacturing process. Just today Toyota announced a recall of over 3 million vehicles for steering and another problem. The failures could easily be due to a part they purchased from another manufacturer, but they're taking the responsibility since it affects a significant sum of the vehicles. The screen above is the FIRST and ONLY screen I have seen that looks even remotely like it's failed coming from Motorola, so let's give credit where credit is due.

Manufacturers definitely need to be held responsible for defects in their product. Again, I will use Toyota as an example. The frames Toyota used for the first generation Tundras were from Dana. When people started calling in complaining about their frames rusting out, Toyota didn't say, not our problem, call Dana. They took the trucks in and either bought them back or replaced the frame with a good one.

If this screen issue becomes a serious problem across multiple handsets (which I doubt it will), it's Motorola's fault for not thoroughly testing the display assemblies, even if Samsung manufactured them.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Manufacturers definitely need to be held responsible for defects in their product. Again, I will use Toyota as an example. The frames Toyota used for the first generation Tundras were from Dana. When people started calling in complaining about their frames rusting out, Toyota didn't say, not our problem, call Dana. They took the trucks in and either bought them back or replaced the frame with a good one.

If this screen issue becomes a serious problem across multiple handsets (which I doubt it will), it's Motorola's fault for not thoroughly testing the display assemblies, even if Samsung manufactured them.

And I agree with essentially everything you've said. My point was, this display which was shown above was the FIRST incident I've seen reported, and quite a severe one at that. To use your example, if those Toyota owners were instead ONE Toyota owner, do you think Toyota would have replaced that one truck? I think not. It becomes an issue of things getting "too big to ignore", before action of that dramatic level takes place. I am sure that the first caller wasn't told "Frame rusting out, sure...bring the truck in and we'll replace it for free". I can imagine what that first call was like, and I can bet it wasn't pretty.

If there is a rash of problems, even if that rash is relatively small, it may still be enough to identify a "trend" in the problem and that will help to point to the cause, in your example's case the Dana frames. I would bet bottom dollar that Toyota didn't eat the entire cost of those replacements either. They most likely struck a deal with Dana to cover their respectively agreed upon portion of the costs to repair or replace.

Now, others have mentioned in this thread a "purple haze", so perhaps this IS a problem that will rise to the level which get's national attention. But as said before, and before this thread was started, I had not seen ONE complaint even remotely pointing to a "purple haze" issue. Granted, these are new phones, so they aren't nearly as prevalent yet as other phones, and perhaps the fact that this one phone surfaced this early is a harbinger of things to come. I do hope not, but if so, I am sure Motorola will address it once it becomes "too big to ignore". Until then, it's a standard warranty claim and like anything that is manufactured by imperfect humans, there will be a certain percentage that will fail right off the line due to imperfections.

Finally, the only true test of how a device will perform in the real world...is real world testing. Motorola almost assuredly did test those displays, as did Samsung, and I am willing to bet there is both a stated DOA failure rate, and a MTBF rate as well. If those two rates are within expected normal rates, then the manufacturer will approve the device and begin the manufacturing. There is no such thing as 100% perfect, and that is what recalls are all about.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Motorola QC is way below LOW.

Guys, this is what I think:

1. Samsung intentionally sells faulty screens to Motorola to win the competition. (FYI: this problem is widespread with RAZR maxx international version, at least)
2. People at Motorola mobility are either so stupid (there is no better word, sorry moto) or lazy to do something about it.
3. No matter how much I admired Motorola, I will switch to samsung or asus for my next phone.
4. And it is your own fault moto to lose customers.

And yes I forgot to mention; even Apple was wiser than you moto, when they took Sam to courtroom.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guys, this is what I think:

1. Samsung intentionally sells faulty screens to Motorola to win the competition. (FYI: this problem is widespread with RAZR maxx international version, at least)
2. People at Motorola mobility are either so stupid (there is no better word, sorry moto) or lazy to do something about it.
3. No matter how much I admired Motorola, I will switch to samsung or asus for my next phone.
4. And it is your own fault moto to lose customers.

And yes I forgot to mention; even Apple was wiser than you moto, when they took Sam to courtroom.

1. possibly
2. definitely
3. hell yes
4. yup

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk