Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

windstrings

Reaction score
What's 2.1? :blink:

Its the next firmware update, or operating system update for the android system of which the droid runs on.....

This thread is so big because this forum is filled with techy geeks and racecar mechanics.....

while some folks enjoy the apps and play games on their phones, the game for others is the phone itself..

Once the droid gets tweaked and updated to the point it runs absolutely perfect and we are at the edge of what the hardware will do, many will become bored and start all over with the next new toy.

The vast majority of the public will enjoy the device for what it is.. they make up the huge mass of the market.

Then there are guys like us.... who having an open operating system opens the door wide open to techy type guys that now have an avenue to demonstrate thier expertise and explore roads of adventure.

Our very identity becomes wrapped in what our phone will do, so making it very personal and a hot topic of anger or delight and passion.

Hey... but its fun!.... where's the popcorn?

Rollingbones

Reaction score
+1...:shocked:... I'm so techno-geek challenged, I don't believe I'll ever be bored with this phone...Time for another game of....

Last edited:

nolanandy

Reaction score
Here is the funny part. Everyone is crying about the update not being here and pissed off that they're not pushing it out yet.

As soon as the update comes out, 99% of those same people will be crying about how bad the update sucks and how it should have been better... lol

this is so true :) I can wait this long, I will wait another 2-3 weeks after it releases

Nick177th

Reaction score
I believe rkeller62 has it right. I had a BB device prior to my Droid. A new OS was issued by BB and Big Red refused to release it for about 9 months. They claimed that the new firmware was being tested. It took all of an hour to find it in the forums and download it myself. That was a few years ago but I'm willing to bet they have not changed their MO.
From VZW's point of view, I guess it's protecting the brand.
...by holding updates?

Not withholding updates, making very sure that the update is correct when it does come out. Keep in mind that from VZW's point of view, the date of the release is not relevant. It will come out, but not until Verizon's engineers are satisfied that there will be no repercussions like bricked phones or other problems that will keep their sales people from selling phones and plans. That's what's important to them, not whether the devise freaks are happy.
VZW runs a business. If the 2.1 update comes out at a time you (and me and a whole lot of other people) are happy with, it is pure coincidence.
They certainly do not need an update for a brand new devise from a non-stellar manufacturer with an unproven (to them) OS that causes a boatload of complaints from the 90% of Droid buyers who don't read the forums. Imagine if 2.1 comes out and bricks 200,000 phones. Would that effect VZW's stock?
We don't run their business, we just complain about it.
And hey! it's FUN1

I respectfully disagree. WE DO run their business. If we don't buy, they don't sell. If they don't sell, they don't make a profit. If they don't make a profit, they cease to exist. I was a Nextel customer for years. Their customer service and phone coverage became shoddy to say the least. Bye bye Nextel. The Bluetooth voice command function is a MAJOR issue with me. I'm not bashing the Droid at all but, I am truly uncomfortable fiddling with my phone while I'm driving. Not to mention that it's illegal in many states. No, I didn't do my research on this function but, to be honest, I never had a phone that couldn't do this (I mean since Bluetooth has been available).

I don't live in a "hands free" state right now. But, I will when it is time for a new phone. I can manage between then and now (begrudgingly). But, if that function is not working on Android phones by then, I'm outta here. I say this in all honesty. If they would "enable" bluetooth voice command, I would forego(sp) the 2.1 update with no hesitation. I say all that to say, in that sense, we DO run their business.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
The device works perfectly fine as it is,

Perfectly fine, fanboy?

So you have some rare Droid that doesn't have horrible browser scrolling, random force-closes when simply answering the phone, and a worthless camera?

Some of us aren't looking for cosmetics, but basic and major fixes.
You better take it back, I'm not having any of those problems.

I'm having very few issues as well. I have the occasional force close, and have had to pull the battery a couple of times, but that's it. I have identified the app that caused the FC's and deleted it. Now, no problems.

I am not doubting your Droid has problems. If your phone is FC'ing on phone calls, perhaps you need to take it back, or do a factory reset.

diverbelow

Reaction score
Information weekly says that the update will not be this week.

Here's a link to those interested in reading the short article:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/02/motorola_says_n.html

Like CK said, the 2.1 update is not up to Motorola to release. It is up to Verizon to push it out. Motorola did their part already but supplying the update to Verizon to test. If 2.1 passes Verizon's test, then they will push it out. If there is a problem, then a bug report will be filled with Motorola for Moto to fix, then it gets retested.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I'm now reading this thread for the entertainment value only. I'm amazed at how many people state their opinion of what's going on as if it were fact. Then the amount of gullible people who unconditionally believe it and talk like their world is coming to an end because of it.

The only facts we really know are:
A Motorola forum manager mistakenly posted a link before he should have and then removed it after realizing the mistake. NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED!!! Motorola never said the update wouldn't happen this week so they have nothing to explain.

This thread is a hilarious study in human behavior.

Can I get another amen? :rockon:

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
What's 2.1? :blink:

Its the next firmware update, or operating system update for the android system of which the droid runs on.....

This thread is so big because this forum is filled with techy geeks and racecar mechanics.....

while some folks enjoy the apps and play games on their phones, the game for others is the phone itself..

Once the droid gets tweaked and updated to the point it runs absolutely perfect and we are at the edge of what the hardware will do, many will become bored and start all over with the next new toy.

The vast majority of the public will enjoy the device for what it is.. they make up the huge mass of the market.

Then there are guys like us.... who having an open operating system opens the door wide open to techy type guys that now have an avenue to demonstrate thier expertise and explore roads of adventure.

Our very identity becomes wrapped in what our phone will do, so making it very personal and a hot topic of anger or delight and passion.

Hey... but its fun!.... where's the popcorn?

Things like "multitouch" are fairly big deals, which were points that were used in marketing. This isn't some upgrade that is only going to change some minor things... its supposed to pack a very noticeable difference.

Its not some penis contest we're using to see who has the highest number of 2.X. If that were the case, we'd have rooted and upgraded manually.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Which is worse? The fact that I have read ever single post in this thread? Or that the update isn't coming out this week? LOL

P.S. For those that are having bug and issues with their operating system where it reboots randomly or you have to pull your battery.... Do a "factory reset"... It resets your system similar to doing a reformat and reinstall on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.